Recommend
9 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Julius Caesar» Forums » General

Subject: Hammer of the Scots or Julius Caesar? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Kotler
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
I Love Heavy Dry Soulless Euros!!!
badge
Currently looking for players in South Florida to play any games in my collection...or any games in their collection. Geekmail me if interested.
mbmbmbmbmb

I am considering purchasing my first "block" game and I am wondering if I should go for the old and tested Hammer of the Scots or should I try the new kid on the block, Julius Caesar? Are they both as strategical and tactical? Is the fun factor the same for both? Is the play time in length the same? Is Julius Caesar more random because of the god cards?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend JC for the following reasons:

1) There is more strategic feel in JC as there are multiple major fronts while HotS only have one narrow front and some minor skirmishing. They both have the same tactical feel as they use the same combat system

2) JC is faster to play

3) They are about equal in randomness as there are important God cards in JC but there also important cards in HotS as well as the luck of the unit draw.

4) I find JC to be more fun because I feel I have more options.

Brian

8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Thompson
England
Winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A vote for HotS here.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mckane
Australia
SYDNEY
N.S.W
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Quote:
I am considering purchasing my first "block" game and I am wondering if I should go for the old and tested Hammer of the Scots or should I try the new kid on the block, Julius Caesar? Are they both as strategical and tactical? Is the fun factor the same for both? Is the play time in length the same? Is Julius Caesar more random because of the god cards?


I would say they are close to the same in terms of strategic and tactical depth, although in saying that they play very differently. Julius Caesar is the more accessible game in terms of the rule-set and the play time is at around only 2 hrs, HoTS is closer to 3. There are "god cards" in Hammer of the Scots, they are called "event cards" though, so there is no more randomness in Julius Caesar. Event/ god cards in both games are different though. In Hammer of the Scots if both players play an event card the year ends, this can be really harsh depending on where you are at the time because of wintering. In Julius Caesar if two events are played they cancel each other out and the turn ends, I don't want to get into any more detail but these small difference in the rules alone make a big difference overall. In terms of the fun factor, I would say that is very much due to your interest in the theme. I prefer Julius Caesar myself. Anyway, If I had a gun to my head and had to only choose one to keep, I'd choose Julius Caesar then buy another copy of Hammer of the Scots....Problem solved.

8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hutchinson
New Zealand
Waitakere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb


Another vote for Julius Caesar. Much prefer it over HoTS for similar reasons given above.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brian asklev aursen wrote:
I would recommend JC for the following reasons:

1) There is more strategic feel in JC as there are multiple major fronts while HotS only have one narrow front and some minor skirmishing. They both have the same tactical feel as they use the same combat system

2) JC is faster to play

3) They are about equal in randomness as there are important God cards in JC but there also important cards in HotS as well as the luck of the unit draw.

4) I find JC to be more fun because I feel I have more options.

Brian


This post nails it down thumbsup
One narrow front and not so many options is the major criticism towards Hammer of the Scots in multiple reviews. When you already look at the map, you feel there might be a risk for that. That's why I picked up Julius Caesar and it's a fantastic game.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They're both really good, and you wouldn't make a mistake going in either direction.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
I aten't dead yet...
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I am not particularly fond of the name, I would go with HotS

Regards,


Jim...... mb
Est. 1949

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Julius Caesar is an awesome game that builds off of HotS,
BUT Hammer of the Scots with the noble flipping and all is too great to be missed.

Hammer of the Scots is something magical.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Kotler
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
I Love Heavy Dry Soulless Euros!!!
badge
Currently looking for players in South Florida to play any games in my collection...or any games in their collection. Geekmail me if interested.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all of your inputs! I am leaning towards Julius Caesar simply because the downtime is less. ...and time is a commodity I have little of these days.

...but, that said, I will view another round of both of Castelli's reviews to be certain.

Thanks!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Henning
United States
Nutley
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hammer of the Scots is a much better game and much more balanced then JC in my opinion. I love the way both sides tactics in HoTS are different and the nobles changing sides is classic. The wintering rules are also great.

I enjoy playing JC but Caesar has no chance of winning. Pompey is way too strong in this game. After 11 games I have only seen Caesar win one game against a new player that made a terrible mistake on the very last card play, other then that I have seen Pompey crush Caesar in the majority of games with most games being finished by the third year.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vikingwarrior wrote:
Hammer of the Scots is a much better game and much more balanced then JC in my opinion. I love the way both sides tactics in HoTS are different and the nobles changing sides is classic. The wintering rules are also great.

I enjoy playing JC but Caesar has no chance of winning. Pompey is way too strong in this game. After 11 games I have only seen Caesar win one game against a new player that made a terrible mistake on the very last card play, other then that I have seen Pompey crush Caesar in the majority of games with most games being finished by the third year.


This is called groupthinking. Do you really think the designer made a game that favours the other side closer to 10 % win chance vs 90 % win chance? I don't think that so seriously unbalanced game would end up in #27 in the wargame rank. Almost the same as saying that a D6 is unbalanced if you don't get a 6 with 11 throws, and then you'll get rid of the die.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If this is the case then maybe you need to record your plays and post them in the forums and have them disseminated for you by resident experts (hardly me). You might be doing something wrong or missing a valid strategy. These games are not 'obvious' like risk.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing as Caesar definitely takes some tactics to win, but same with Hammer. If you play the Scots same as the English you will be trounced.

Caesar has a couple bonus 'A' attacks so getting him in against the right numbers you should be able to wittle away Pompey's control.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.