Lost Cities» Forums » General

Subject: Recommendations to replace lost cities rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Troy Dahnert
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I've been playing Lost cities for the last 6 months or so every day over lunch with a colleague. I'm looking for something else we could break out. Here's the things we love about Lost Cities that we are looking for.

1. Quick setup and quick play. Can finish game by end of lunch.
2. A bit of luck to keep things fun.
3. Plays well with two players.

Really appreciate any recommendations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Nakamoto
United States
Montrose
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Court of the Medici

Jaipur - maybe a little fiddly on set-up for your tastes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the Kosmos 2-player games are well worth while. I'd also suggest Knizia's Battle Line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kearon
United Kingdom
Cardiff
Wales
flag msg tools
badge
My current favourite in this vein is Dragonheart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Framingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the suggestion for Battle Line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Frandson
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Balloon cup. Quick, tactical, with a bit of luck. Lots of nice tit for tat

Kahuna- also quick, tit for tat type game, pretty theme

Cribbage, of course, more luck than skill, but just enough to pretend you won based on skill.

We have also been playing old-fashioned, two-handed pinochle. See my review under Pinochle.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/662655/2-player-classic-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Crespi
Italy
Bologna
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I Love battle line. And I think it is a great choice, as pointed out by Adverb and Kentreuber.

I would also suggest Caesar & Cleopatra, Aton, Guillotine and Scarab Lords.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haggis. End of Story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll make three for Battle Line and I'll add a recommendation for Biblios as well. Then you could accommodate an extra friend or two showing up now and then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Simons
United States
Johnston
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SteveK2 wrote:
My current favourite in this vein is Dragonheart.

Good call - I think this would be a great lunchtime game. A bit of strategy mixed with some luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
NASA Dawn approaching Ceres
mbmbmbmbmb
Jambo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Graham
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Battle Line and Jambo work really well as two player card games that offer meaningful decisions.

Battleline became one of my alltime favorites. It is much more than one would expect when opening the box.

Jambo is a great interactive, take-that, trading and set collection game that can play easily somewhere between 20-30 minutes.

Another recommendation I'd give is Archaeology: The Card Game. It is a small card game that unfolds it's potential after the first play. It scales very well from 2-4 players and has exciting "push-your-luck"-elements and uses the set collection mechanism in a very entertaining and easy-to-learn game. If you enjoy the set collecting and handmanagement of Lost Cities, you'll find great pleasure in playing Archaeology The Card Game.

good gaming,
Shaun
edited for typos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once upon a time I bought (already mentioned) Balloon Cup to keep from wearing out Lost Cities from overplay. Now it has become difficult to find but (already mentioned) Battle Line sometimes gets recommneded as an equivalent.

Another direction you might investigate is Traders of Osaka, which should go pretty quickly with 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ramon Mercado
United States
Stafford
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Guillotine at work with a group of 3-5 people. With two players is just not as fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Wojciechowski
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Otomakan wrote:
Court of the Medici

Jaipur - maybe a little fiddly on set-up for your tastes

+1 Jaipur

The setup doesn't really take very long. The games are quick 2-out-of-3 affairs. There's definitely some opportunity for thought, but the games is generally pretty smooth. Like Lost Cites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Wojciechowski
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ShaunFable wrote:
Yes, Battle Line and Jambo work really well as two player card games that offer meaningful decisions.

edited for typos

+1 Battle Line
+1 Jambo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How long is your lunch?

Anyway, here's a good list that play in 30 minutes or less:

Biblios-this one's really really fun and actually has a neat little auction mechanic--probably our most played 2-3p game.

Jaipur-probably our 2nd most played, strictly 2 player. Does have some bits but set up is quick and it's lots of fun. And it's all about the camels!

Balloon Cup-I picked this up because someone reviewed it calling it 'diabolical'! And it really is! LOL, also some bits but still a quick set up. You can play it two ways, either you have to satisfy requirements on your side before playing on your opponent's or play on both sides from the get-go. Fun!

Battle Line-tenser than the previously listed games, you are essentially making the best poker hands on your side of the flags in order to capture them.

Infinite City-probably only 15m for a game. BUT this one takes a little more space. You are laying tiles (though not a puzzle like Carc) and following the instructions on them to place your tokens. This one can play up to 6 and is much fun. We leave the tiles in the box and draw from there.

Odin's Ravens-I think this is OOP but a really unique little game that is lots of fun. I picked it up in the marketplace.

Ra: The Dice Game--Looks complicated but it's not and it's very quick. Lots of fun, neat dice.

Games that play in 30-45m:

Jambo-I know others have said this plays quicker but we always take 40-45m--but maybe it's just us? This has a little 'take that' when playing the animal cards, but is not terribly cutthroat.

Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age--you might be able to get this played in 30m, not really sure how long it takes us, but it is really fun, great wooden dice. Some compare to Yahtzee but nope, it's not like it at all really.

Have fun and let us know what you get and how it goes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Dahnert
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone! I'll go look some of these up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Kirk
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mr Jack - started playing this at lunch - good craic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.