Hide
12 Posts

Mr. Jack» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can Stealthy escape on Turn 1? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Ives
msg tools
Stealth is 4 squares from an exit and could reach the exit on her first move.

She is "unseen" in her starting position, but I wasn't sure if she could escape because the Jack card is not in the unseen position (it's neither seen nor unseen).

If this is so, it seems like if the stealthy card is among the first 4, the detective sort of has to take it to prevent an escape.

Thx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Olcese
Argentina
Córdoba
Córdoba
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
I´m pretty sure that everybody starts "seen".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Herbie Hancock: Takin' Off // Art Farmer & Bill Evans: Modern Art // Sonny Rollins: Way Out West
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Miss Stealthy winning if Jack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Altoona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The short version is no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chatnoir wrote:

She is "unseen" in her starting position, but I wasn't sure if she could escape because the Jack card is not in the unseen position (it's neither seen nor unseen).

If this is so, it seems like if the stealthy card is among the first 4, the detective sort of has to take it to prevent an escape.

Thx

Remember that Jack has to be "in the dark" when he escapes, meaning that the light/dark marker has to be dark side-up. And at the start of the game, he is not (the light/dark marker is light side up). So nobody can escape on the first turn, ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
She could escape as the first move of the second turn. It's equivalent to fool's mate in Chess, though. If the detective player leaves Stealthy in the dark four spaces from an exit and she wasn't in the Turn 1 cards, the detective has played exceptionally poorly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ ♫
Italy
ravenna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
She could escape as the first move of the second turn. It's equivalent to fool's mate in Chess, though. If the detective player leaves Stealthy in the dark four spaces from an exit and she wasn't in the Turn 1 cards, the detective has played exceptionally poorly.

But Jack goes first to move on Round 2.... Does it mean Detective must move a character close to her on turn 1?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Ackles
Cuba
APO
AE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, unless he wants to risk losing a very quick game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Wojciechowski
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gawain wrote:
chatnoir wrote:

Thx

Remember that Jack has to be "in the dark" when he escapes, meaning that the light/dark marker has to be dark side-up. And at the start of the game, he is not (the light/dark marker is light side up). So nobody can escape on the first turn, ever.

Either I misunderstand or you misunderstand. I thought Jack could not escape the board if he would be visible when he left the board. The barricades block two exits and lamps light the other two exits. For Stealthy/Jack to escape, the player must first use the lamp lighter to move the nearby lamp, and then move Stealthy out the exit. I think this is the only first turn win combo, so it behooves the Inspector player to never allow the Jack player both the Lamp Lighter and Stealthy in the first round, or the Inspector must place another suspect at the exit to watch it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
New York City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are misunderstanding. Jack can only escape when, at the end of the previous turn, he was not visible. Visibility is only checked at the end of a turn, and escape has nothing to do with Jack's visibility status during the turn he escapes.

The design rationale for this is quite clever. When Jack goes last in the turn, and is thus most able to make Jack invisible, he does not have first choice next turn, and Jack's character is not guaranteed to appear. On the other hand, when Jack's character is guaranteed to appear and Jack chooses first, on the previous turn, the Inspector had the last move, which makes it very risky for Jack to try to keep his character invisible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vacuous Eye

Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmb
She can escape on the second turn, if there was no witness at the end of the first. This happened to me last night!

robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vacuous wrote:
She can escape on the second turn, if there was no witness at the end of the first. This happened to me last night!

robot

While explaining the rules, I pointed this out to my GF before our first game. Then we did Rock/Paper/Scissors, and she got to be the detective. I randomly chose Jack's identity and we got underway. Knowing that Stealthy could escape on turn 2, she kept Stealthy in the light (and near the centre of the board) at all costs. Unfortunately, as luck would have it, Jack was Stealthy... and I couldn't get her out of the light, let alone out of the district, for the entire game. shake

She won on turn 7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.