Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Larry Buckel
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought the Ystari box to have a 5th player. The rules don't say if the neutral bank is to be used for with favor track only or if it can be included in a standard game with no favor track. It is to be added after the last Dungeon token is taken. I assume it's to boost resources in the mid game which may be stifled with a 5th player but it doesn't explain. Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules imply (but don't state explicitly) that the neutral bank is intended to be used along with the favors expansion, and not in the 5-player base game.

Clearly it injects more gold into the game. My guess is that this is to encourage building the prestige buildings, perhaps because several of the new buildings provide favors when they are built.

It would be great to hear an official answer on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Buckel
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. If there is no bank on the road it is a nice addition to the Pink row to keep things moving. I'm including it in my games based on that alone.

FWIW I don't use the favor track but DO use the new building cards with favor symbols on them. We play that each favor symbol awards a non-gold cube of the players choice. The added favor track seems a bit fidley and with the added time it adds to the game, I'd rather just play regular Caylus at that point. CMC makes for a nice short basic game. Buying the expansion was nice to have a 5th player but I don't like the game to be that much longer so we just leave the joust cards out and play with the favor awarding an extra cube to keep it moving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mc Jarvis
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I speak to improve upon the cacophony.
badge
This heart is meant to convince you that I feel.
mbmbmb
Four-years late to the party, but...

I think the bank is in the game because building the most castle pieces no longer gives out a gold piece. (instead, it gives out a favor). If you play the base game with 5 players, that's not a concern-- so the bank is not necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.