Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought Stronghold games was reprinting this??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Woah. One of the Stronghold games guys just did a special Dice Tower interview announcing that *they* were reprinting it. Guh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
yeah I'm confused..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
From the FFG article:

"More than a year ago, Fantasy Flight Games signed an exclusive licensing contract with Wizards of the Coast, LLC, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., to return this classic 1980’s board game of interstellar trade and exploration to print."

The Dice Tower interview with Stronghold games didn't mention WotC at all - he just talked about working with the designer. Maybe there is a dispute over the rights?

I predict a kurfuffle...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grouch
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
FFG announcement says they made a deal with Hasborg. Stronghold news says they made a deal with the designer. Don't go eBay your AH copies yet, in case this ends up in litigational limbo.
soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't had a chance to watch the relevant segment from the Essen stream, but didn't Stronghold announce they were doing the reprint?

EDIT: Man, you guys are quick. Or I'm slow. Maybe both. Yes, probably.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy waffles
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
Wow, glad this got brought up because i just saw this on my rss. Thought strong-hold was doing this...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sims
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like FFG has rights from Hasbro and Stronghold has agreement from Hamblen...

Not sure who wins in that fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rbelikov wrote:

Uh oh. Looks like Steam vs Age of Steam just took off into space....

Where's Wallace and Bohrer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Brewer
United States
Monticello
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
From the FFG article:

"More than a year ago, Fantasy Flight Games signed an exclusive licensing contract with Wizards of the Coast, LLC, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., to return this classic 1980’s board game of interstellar trade and exploration to print."

The Dice Tower interview with Stronghold games didn't mention WotC at all - he just talked about working with the designer. Maybe there is a dispute over the rights?

I predict a kurfuffle...

A kurfuffle that results in NOONE reprinting it. This isn't good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy waffles
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
I wonder if this is being announced because someone else announced it this week. Though, I guess it is that time of year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Derrick
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ick, this is going to be yucky. Looks like FFG has had this in the works for a while and popped the announcement when Stringhold announced they were doing one.

Someone wasn't communicating clearly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
bill_andel wrote:
FFG announcement says they made a deal with Hasborg. Stronghold news says they made a deal with the designer. Don't go eBay your AH copies yet, in case this ends up in litigational limbo.
soblue

and if that happens I'm guessing that people won't have the option to buy the P&P Production version as they don't sell games for which the rights are in question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sims
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Think the PNP ship has already sailed. I think Stronghold had already started asking for the files to be removed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DK Kemler
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Imperium re-theme here we come...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Morgan
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And just like that, there goes the chances of this getting reprinted (hope I'm wrong though).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Medievalbanquet
United States
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
Crap, I hope this the game doesn't get the overproduced plastic mess treatment of a ton of FFG's games… it would ruin it in my eyes.

Andy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sims
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sure 1 of these will make it.

Since Hasbro makes money off FFG, and Hasbro has many more lawyers then Stronghold. I would expect a FFG version to hit the shelves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Look
United States
Coventry
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not a TI re-theme. Check the FFG site, they've got pictures.

I'm pulling for Stronghold on this one, they kick ass and they deserve it. Of course, both could reprint it and that would be easiest for everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Derrick
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
From the FFG press release:

Quote:
More than a year ago, Fantasy Flight Games signed an exclusive licensing contract with Wizards of the Coast, LLC, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., to return this classic 1980’s board game of interstellar trade and exploration to print.

Anyone think that wording was accidental? Anyone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Rohnert Park
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
derrickec wrote:
From the FFG press release:

Quote:
More than a year ago, Fantasy Flight Games signed an exclusive licensing contract with Wizards of the Coast, LLC, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., to return this classic 1980’s board game of interstellar trade and exploration to print.

Anyone think that wording was accidental? Anyone?

Also, they are already taking preorders:

Quote:
We’re excited to announce that Fantasy Flight Games will release Merchant of Venus in the first quarter of 2012 and we are now accepting pre-orders. For more information, please contact the FFG Sales Department at sales@fantasyflightgames.com.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL!

I'll bet they are laughing about this...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
United States
Lawton
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with you that it appears intentional wording that isn't typically in their releases.

I for one don't particularly like the art shown on that page. I much perfer the dathkardan art. I have already made a version of his before so will be alright either way, but was considering getting it anyways just due to how good Stronghold reprints have been.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.