Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Holden
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My fellow geeks, I'm pleased this week to announce the 319th Geek of the Week.

Please give a warm welcome to fellow gamer and hard working geek Kenny Ven Osdel. Kenny has a love for game design, frequents a variety places on the site to offer game advice, tips, recommendations, etc., and has initiated several great resources here to advance the cause of new game development and help local gamers hook up (I'll let you ask him the details on those topics).

Apart from Kenny's efforts on the geek, I can tell you he's a great guy who's always up for a game, always a good sport, and is willing to play with anyone, anywhere. He has taken board games into such uncharted territory as a twin city smoke shop where's he's slightly altered the culture, to the deep reaches of Uganda where he has "geek-ized" some of the local youth. Enough of my words though, here's what Kenny has to say:

kvenosdel wrote:
I was born in Willmar, Minnesota in 1985. Willmar is a small town of 20,000 or so people about 90 miles directly West of Minneapolis. I was the 3rd of 5 children having 2 older sisters, a younger brother, and an even younger sister. Later on my parents would end up adopting 2 Haitian kids brining our family total to 9! As I write this I, and all my biological siblings are married, and some have kids, so our new grand total during visits is 19 people and 7 dogs.

I went to college at Bethel University and graduated in 2007 with a Bachelor's in Nursing. Currently I live pretty close to downtown St Paul which is great for my commute! I am a registered nurse at United Hospital and can leave my house at 10:45 and clock in at 11. That's pm for all you folks out there, I am a night nurse yuk.

I always enjoyed games as a kid but it was a pretty bleak affair looking back. We started on some classics: Hi-Ho Cherry-O, Ants in my Pants, Cootie, and the infamous Mouse Trap. Later we mostly we played Monopoly, which did get a boost when we got Monopoly: Star Wars with the occasional Risk game thrown in. We also liked the Game of Life which was my personal first board game purchase. As far as card games went I absolutely died to play Black Jack and Pinochle with my Grandpa when we would visit and we always envied the adults who played Shenanigans Game at my Grandma's house but wouldn't let the kids join.

During college I didn't really experience any of the boardgame craze. My younger brother also attended Bethel and we would play Lord of the Rings Risk occasionally but that was about it. After graduating I had the cliche fateful game day where my friend introduced me to Settlers of Catan and I got the bug.

Psych! I played Settlers several times but I never really cared! In 2008 I had a few friends who had started to play these "Euro" games and I got to play Puerto Rico with them. I loved every minute of it. Puerto Rico wasn't just a gateway game to me. It was more like shackles slapped on my brain with a mouth that screamed, "This is your new favorite hobby" over and over again. I couldn't stop thinking about it.

My evil friend mentioned this site and here I came like so many others. It was game over. As a single man with a good job I had plenty of disposable income to spend and my boardgame collection began to grow, fast. This was great at first as I had lots of friends in the area that wanted to play, but eventually they all decided they didn't really care for it. This lead to one of my first posts on BGG: Minneapolis/Saint Paul Gamers?. Through this thread I was able to find some local BGG'ers, including the now famous Fudgy, and really got into the meat of the hobby. It also led me to begin attending the Minneapolis Boardgame Marathons held monthly here.

During this time of increased boardgame activity for me I had 2 other important life events happen: I became seriously involved with my then girlfriend now wife, and I prepared for a 9 month volunteer stint in Uganda.

I moved to Uganda after Jess and I had been dating for several months. Things had moved fast between us and we were talking about marriage. I had made the committment to go to Uganda before we ever started dating though so it was quite tricky. We knew that I had to go and we would be apart but decided to stick with it. I'm glad we did!

Uganda was amazing and so is Jess and I feel so blessed to be able to have both of those in my life. I served in Uganda for an organization called Mission: Moving Mountains (MMM). It is a community development organization and is run and operated entirely by Ugandans. Apart from visitors here and there, I was the only non-Ugandan working with them! I learned a lot about life and myself and my strengths and weaknesses during that trip and think very fondly on my times there. Oddly enough while I was in Uganda I actually became more active on BGG than ever before and have carried that level of activity through to this day.

I couldn't last though and eventually came back. The following months after that were a blur of activity as I adjusted to life in the US. Especially important in those months was the preperation for Jess for our marriage. This was rather recent, Aug 6th 2011. Here's a picture of the cute couple for all of you:

Life since then has been good. Jess enjoys playing games with me, though not all of the ones I would like, and we are busy learning, growing, and living together. Though we don't have children we have a pretty full house with her two cats and my dog (pictured in my avatar). The cats aren't that important (don't tell her I said that) but the dog's name is The Dude.

That's about enough bio for now I think. I'll let any more info come out from all the questions.

Poll
Two truths and a lie: which is the lie?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
I met my wife at college over a meal of barbecued squirrel that I had shot myself.
32.9% 51
I have never punched a girl in the face.
40.6% 63
I have read through the entire Lord of the Rings series while sitting on the toilet (over multiple sessions).
26.5% 41
Voters 155
This poll is now closed.   155 answers
Poll created by l10n0fjudah
Closes: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:00 am

And here are some questions to get Kenny started:
1. What are your three favorite images you've uploaded to the site?
2. Which nooks and crannies of the site do you frequent?
3. Besides Uganda and the Golden Leaf, is there any other unique places you've gamed?
4. What was your inspiration for game design, how did you get into it?
5. How did you meet Jess?

I'll save other questions for you guys to ask...have a great week Kenny!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
If you have some sanity left...
badge
...come and join me in the tavern I buy you a mug of beer.
mb
Congratulations!

My usual questions:
- Ever played any RPG's?
- Have you ever visited the RPG side of the site?
- Will you congratulate you're RPGG and VGG counterpart?

Have fun this week and may you play many games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats to Kenny. He gave me my first 30GG when I was a "New User" to get me my Avatar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A superb choice!

Please allow me to offer my sincere congratulations to a deserving Geek of the Week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Kenny. I hope you have a great week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy
United States
Los Osos
California
flag msg tools
This overtext is far more interesting than I am.
badge
One die to rule them all.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Kenny!

A few questions for you:

What is your favorite game to play with each of your family members?
Do you like video games and RPGs? If so, what are your favorites?
What is your favorite 2 and 7+ player board games?

Have a great week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McQ
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
Grats Kenny
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
“Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead.” -Bukowski
badge
“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” -Friedrich Nietzsche
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers to Kenny!

Two quick questions to start off:

1) As a medical professional, I'm curious to know what department you work in as a nurse.

2) As a beer enthusiast, I'm curious to know what is your favourite beverage with which to fill your personalized beer mug.

Have a fun week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay! Thanks very much Steve. I'm quite excited and honored to be chosen as GotW. I have a few moments now before bed so I'll respond to your questions then try and hit up more after work tomorrow.

Quote:
1. What are your three favorite images you've uploaded to the site?
2. Which nooks and crannies of the site do you frequent?
3. Besides Uganda and the Golden Leaf, is there any other unique places you've gamed?
4. What was your inspiration for game design, how did you get into it?
5. How did you meet Jess?

1. I haven't done a lot of images because I'm not that good with a camera and just don't have the patience to learn. Of the few I've done I like
and

The first is the me playing TTR under a mango tree by lantern in rural Uganda with my host family. The other is my wife playing Cribbage with her cat.

2. I usually spend most my time on here in the geeklist area. Not really a nook and cranny but I really like the geeklist feature so it kind of captured me. Other than that I spend time in forums for games I love answering questions and taking part in discussions. From time to time I look at the front page images as well.

3. Well, apart from random coffee shops and such throughout the cities there really isn't much. I have played games while camping in Wisconsin, which is quite fun. One of my favorite places to play smaller games is Kopplin's in St Paul. It is one of the best coffee houses in town!

4. I started getting interested in game design on the way to Jess's house while we were dating. The thought occured to me "The game of War really sucks." and then I started thinking about how you could improve it. I ended up designing a game and had a blast doing it. While its not the greatest game in the world, it certainly works, and I've had fun playing it and teaching it to people. That game is Sovereignty!!. Since then I've worked on a few others but going to Uganda really slowed me down. Since coming back I haven't gotten back into the swing of game design, though it has been rather growing on my mind lately...

5. Well I can't spoil that surprise quite yet! I will say that we didn't start dating until several years after we met. We were both asked to be on a committee to oversee funding and other issues for Mission: Moving Mountains, the non-profit I worked with in Uganda. I spent the whole first meeting trying to figure out a way to ask her out before the meeting was over!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Barad_the_dwarf wrote:
Congratulations!

My usual questions:
- Ever played any RPG's?
- Have you ever visited the RPG side of the site?
- Will you congratulate you're RPGG and VGG counterpart?

- Unless you count video game RPG's, no. I've thought about it though but just never had the environment to try it out. I really like fantasy and don't mind being a nerd so I think I would enjoy it.

- I've looked around a bit right after it opened up but I don't really spend any time there.

- Of course! Congratulations
Hans Messersmith
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
Freder: It was their hands that built this city of ours, Father. But where do the hands belong in your scheme?
badge
Joh Frederson: In their proper place, the depths.
mbmbmbmbmb
and
Andrew Goenner
United States
St. Cloud
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Yup, changed the Avatar for self-promotion.
badge
Go vote in the 24-Hour RPG Design Contest!
mbmbmbmbmb
. I hope your week is as good as mine!

Quote:
Have fun this week and may you play many games.

Thanks! Already played 7 Wonders, Ra, and Airlines Europe. Good start.

Quote:
What is your favorite game to play with each of your family members?
Do you like video games and RPGs? If so, what are your favorites?
What is your favorite 2 and 7+ player board games?

Well not all of my siblings like to play and I am a few hours away from most so we don't see each other too often. My youngest siblings (adopted from haiti) like to play Dominion with me. They are 12 so about the perfect age for anything really. We've also enjoyed TTR and Stone Age. My youngest bio-sister likes games but lives in Concordia so we don't play much. I dig playing Dixit with my family though, we all like that. I like trying out abstracts on my brother. We meet for coffee on occasion and play a few rounds of something. My older sisters won't play much and my dad and mom play whatever we suggest! My wife and I play a lot of things but recently its mostly Magnate, Eminent Domain (my request), and Race for the Galaxy (her request *gasp*).

I like video games but I've stayed away from them lately. I get wrapped up in them too easily and don't consider the time as well spent as board games. I've never played an RPG. Final Fantasy games were my favorite video games though, followed by Elder Scrolls games.

For 2 player lately my favorite has been Eminent Domain. It's just fantastic. For 7+ I would play The Resistance or for just 7, 7 Wonders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
squash wrote:
Cheers to Kenny!

Two quick questions to start off:

1) As a medical professional, I'm curious to know what department you work in as a nurse.

2) As a beer enthusiast, I'm curious to know what is your favourite beverage with which to fill your personalized beer mug.

Have a fun week!

Epic picture choice. Lolz.

1) Spent my first 3 years on a Medicine/Endocrine/ETOH floor but it was just called Medicine. 6 months ago I joined the float pool and got trained for telemetry (heart monitoring) and have been enjoying that.

2) Easily my favorite beer is Furious. A bright, hoppy beer made by a small brewer in Minnesota called Surly. They make a lot of great beers but Furious has been my mainstay for a few years now. One of my older favorites is Guiness Extra Stout. I even had a keg of it ordered once for a Guiness party. That was a sweet, sweet night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey cool! A GW that I actually recognize before the GW!

Cheers man!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim Guy
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OMG! He chose Kenny!

CONGRATS, kiddo.

Did you teach anything about boardgames to the Ugandans?

Did they teach you?

Any Ugandan influenced design ideas we should watch for in the future?

Scratch The Dude for me. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Thayne
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Congratulations, Kenny!

Tough trio of "truths" you have there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
CgooNGRATZ KENNY !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Messersmith
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
Freder: It was their hands that built this city of ours, Father. But where do the hands belong in your scheme?
badge
Joh Frederson: In their proper place, the depths.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Kenny!

Some questions...

1) Perelandra! I know why I love it, why do you?

2) The Dude! What breed, if any, and does he do any tricks?

3) Bread-baking! Machine or by hand? Whole-wheat, white, or something more exotic? Honey or refined sugar?

4) Pipes! Short stem or long-Hobbit-style? Briar, meerschaum, corncob, or something else? Do you have Prince Albert in a can? And how do you get your wife to let you smoke them?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Kenny

d10-1What is your favourite colour when playing a boardgame?
d10-2Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter?
d10-3Do you play an instrument? If yes, which one and for how long already?
d10-4Having fun?
d10-5What would have been your name if your parents didn't name you Kenny?
d10-6What is your favourite snack?
d10-7 What is your favourite day of the week?
d10-8What is your favourite time of day?
d10-9 What character would you be in a Star Trek setting?
d10-1d10-0 What makes you "tick"?
d10-1d10-1 What is your life-long dream?

Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Svetlana
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
Ich will!
badge
In the confusion and the aftermath you are my signal fire. Hold me close, 'cause I need you to guide me to safety. The only resolution and the only joy is the faint spark of forgiveness in your eyes, I don't want to wait forever...
mb
Congratulations, Kenny!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wanda Davies
United States
Olympia
Washington (WA)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Way to be chosen! Here are thirteen questions:
1. What sorts of games have you taught to Ugandans?
2. Are there certain games that seem to work better or worse for cultural reasons?
3. Do Ugandans, minus your influence, tend to play board games?
4. Which is a better city for board games- Minneapolis or St. Paul?
5. What is the relationship between beard length and intelligence?
6. If you were to be able to choose a game and a number of African leaders to play that game equal to the number of players the game supports (maximum 8), what game would you choose and which leaders would you choose to play?
7. Alcohol and board games- how well do they mix?
8. Yours is the first game I've seen that uses two exclamation points in the title. Is there a strict percentage they raise game excitement by? Why don't your other games have exclamation points in their titles? Do you like them less?
9. If you could choose one of your games to receive more publicity than it is now getting, which game would you highlight and why?
10. Do you have any dream design concepts that just seem too big to get into right now?
11. How important is theme to you in games? Would theme be more important if it was used differently- say, to encourage social consciousness?
12. What are the limits to games as a medium?
13. How much do you love design? If you were given the opportunity to be one of the few designers who could support themselves via game design, would you give up on nursing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Kenny! Happy to see a deserving GCL-buddy in the mix!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Kenny!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
DancerInDC wrote:
Congratulations, Kenny! Happy to see a deserving GCL-buddy in the mix!

Indeed. I don't have a question yet, but I thought you'd like to know I'm hoping to play A Few Acres of Snow for the first time this. It seems an effective French counter has been discovered. (I purposely don't know the British blitz or the French counter.) And that's enough for me to pull it out this week, if possible.

Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Roy
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
27 World Series titles and counting!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Kenny! Have a great week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fehr
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Hi there! Follow my gaming exploits on Twitter (fehrmeister)
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Kenny!

Here are my questions for you:
- Have you ever been as amazed and intrigued by a new game other than Settlers to the degree that you were amazed by Settlers when you first played it?
- What are the top 3 games that you haven't tried yet that you would like to play if given the chance?
- Do you ever see yourself going back to Uganda for an extended period of time?
- What is your wife's favorite game to play with you? If you could magically make her enjoy any game that you like that she's currently not sold on, what would it be?
- Have you ever been to any game conventions? If not, do you ever plan to (will we see you at BGG.CON one day)?

Have a super week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.