$10.00
Robert M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a blue event. At what point in the round can you do this?

Also since this is a blue event can you do it again in a future round, but only 1 cloth per round?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tan events are resolved immediately. Blue events are resolved on your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any time on your turn or only if you choose a specific action?

The sale of wool being 1 coin is obviously if you choose the sell option, but there isn't a trade cloth card

also 1 cloth entire game vs 1 cloth per turn after it comes up until the end of the chapter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since they are generally tied to an action, I believe the rules imply when you are doing the action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lloyd
United Kingdom
Sidcup
Kent
flag msg tools
This game is bullshit.
mbmbmbmbmb
They are resolved every turn before the personal income is received.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sweetsweetdoughnuts wrote:

No they are resolved by each player before they do their action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveD wrote:
sweetsweetdoughnuts wrote:

No they are resolved by each player before they do their action.

I'm not sure whether the rules dictate either approach. In my group - which admittedly has played the game only once in recent months - we resolve the choices as follows:

1. When the card is first drawn, in player order beginning to the left of the active (drawing) player.

2. In future turns, during each player's action, and if a player forgets to do it, too bad.

This is to the best of my recollection. We played a 3P the other day, but honestly most of the time we opted not to use the blue event options. (Generally they weren't useful or we didn't have the required resources.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Play this great game with 4 players for the ultimate exercise in resource shortage and pain. It's wonderful. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does any one have a comment on this part:
rmartinc wrote:
1 cloth entire game

OR

1 cloth per turn after it comes up until the end of the chapter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rmartinc wrote:
Does any one have a comment on this part:
rmartinc wrote:
1 cloth entire game

OR

1 cloth per turn after it comes up until the end of the chapter

Each round as long as the blue card remains in effect (i.e., until it is pushed off the board by the advent of a second subsequent blue card, or the end of the chapter).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Potter
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's definitely 1 cloth per turn.
But I want to hear where people are getting their info regarding when the effects occur. This question has come up with a few blue cards in my gaming group, and the only thing the rules say is that card effects are resolved immediately. Admittedly, this is probably in reference to the card that's just been pulled, but we couldn't find anything on when blue cards from past rounds are resolved. This has an even bigger effect on things like opting to lose your card action in exchange for gaining something like a medical knowledge.
Anyone got an actual ruling on this either from the rules or the game makers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
northwesterner wrote:
It's definitely 1 cloth per turn.
But I want to hear where people are getting their info regarding when the effects occur. This question has come up with a few blue cards in my gaming group, and the only thing the rules say is that card effects are resolved immediately. Admittedly, this is probably in reference to the card that's just been pulled, but we couldn't find anything on when blue cards from past rounds are resolved. This has an even bigger effect on things like opting to lose your card action in exchange for gaining something like a medical knowledge.
Anyone got an actual ruling on this either from the rules or the game makers?

We typically play that if there's a blue card effect, you can decide any time on your turn whether to use that effect or not. If you forget to do so and want to go back later, you're out of luck (unless the rest of the players are feeling generous).

I can't think of specific examples at the moment, and we haven't played much lately, so I'm not sure if there are situations where the timing really matters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Helm
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
What's the point of this card being blue?
We just played this game for the first time. I had thought one could sell any number of cloth per market action, so I hoarded it to sell it all in one fell swoop in chapter IV. Of course, I was devastated when I realized my error. But right then, in turn 3, this blue tile saved me like a deus ex machina, earning me 12 effortless victory points; more than the 8 points I had expected to earn for them on the market. I won, but this victory felt unfair. Obviously, you can't build a strategy relying on that. If I wanted that much randomness, I might as well have played Monopoly. I suspect that the card is only blue by mistake; next time I will suggest to play it as a tan one-time card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SebastianHelm wrote:
We just played this game for the first time. I had thought one could sell any number of cloth per market action, so I hoarded it to sell it all in one fell swoop in chapter IV. Of course, I was devastated when I realized my error. But right then, in turn 3, this blue tile saved me like a deus ex machina, earning me 12 effortless victory points; more than the 8 points I had expected to earn for them on the market. I won, but this victory felt unfair. Obviously, you can't build a strategy relying on that. If I wanted that much randomness, I might as well have played Monopoly. I suspect that the card is only blue by mistake; next time I will suggest to play it as a tan one-time card.

Except it's not that much randomness. You saved cloth due to a misunderstanding of the rules, and you were lucky enough to able to capitalize on the blue card. If you were playing with a proper understanding of the rule, you wouldn't have hoarded cloth and the blue card wouldn't have been worth as much. And if you were to try to make a strategy by hoarding cloth against the hope that the one blue card would turn up for you, I think you'd probably lose more than you won. Before you house-rule the card, try to figure out what the effect would be on someone who played the game properly if that card were not blue. Would it become meaningless without the repeat effect?

Many games include a randomizing factor. A good game will include mechanisms by which players can mitigate the randomness, adjusting tactics and strategy to minimize the swings of fate. This game is, in my opinion, such a game - you never know what card is coming next, but on your turn, you have some control over the side effects, i.e., the orientation of the card to get resources and move the award marker. Resources are so tight, and the penalties for missing them so harsh, and the cards do throw wrenches into your plans, so you have to remain flexible and adapt your strategies as you go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Helm
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Why is this card blue?
Golux13 wrote:
Before you house-rule the card, try to figure out what the effect would be on someone who played the game properly if that card were not blue. Would it become meaningless without the repeat effect?

You have a point. Maybe this card is blue to provide a desperation strategy: When you're running behind and see no other chance of winning, hoard a few cloth and hope for this card to come early enough in chapter IV. I actually quite like it when games offer such choices. Well, I won't force any house rule on my friends; I'll tell them my experience as an anecdote and let them decide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stas Kolenikov
United States
Columbia
Missouri
flag msg tools
Quote:
If you were playing with a proper understanding of the rule, you wouldn't have hoarded cloth and the blue card wouldn't have been worth as much. And if you were to try to make a strategy by hoarding cloth against the hope that the one blue card would turn up for you, I think you'd probably lose more than you won. Before you house-rule the card, try to figure out what the effect would be on someone who played the game properly if that card were not blue. Would it become meaningless without the repeat effect?

We just played the game (probably for the fifth or the sixth time in the family), with one player getting 15 points for this card, and we've been trying to figure out if that's the intended effect of this card. we interpreted it as, "Once per round, does not matter when, each player may trade in 1 cloth for 3 VP". That player had one or two pieces of cloth and two pieces of wool by the beginning of Chapter IV. Then "Kingsbridge Scarlet" appeared in round 2, and that player managed to get a couple more wools and played the "Privilege" to convert them all to cloth and trade in. I, on the other hand, discarded my cloth production action card in the first round of Chapter, as I had one wool and one cloth for sale, and thought I did not need the production option.

3 VP/turn is just too good, you just cannot balance it with anything -- not unless you came with 4 construction resources into Chapter IV and played "Building project" + "Privilege" -- and that would still only give you 12 points, with the actions being used up.

Having this as a grey card would make more sense -- like "trade wool for 3 coins", a Chapter I card. Or at least put a caveat that you can trade in cloth for 3 VP instead of taking an action (discard two cards, or play one and ignore + discard one).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.