Nightfall: Martial Law» Forums » General

Subject: Best Deck-Building Game Ever? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
...do not calle up That which you cannot put downe; either from dead saltes or out of ye Spheres beyond.
badge
Wicked Lich of the West
mbmbmbmbmb
Nightfall is marred by a stupid promo policy that creates exclusivity in a sealed product that resembles a board game not a CCG.

The mechanics of this game are great but Martial Law will be my final expansion until they fix this issue. It stinks when something that would otherwise be the penultimate of awesome wears the smear of excrement becasue of a cheap marketing tactic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime Lawrence
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
Jingle Bells, Cthanta Smells, I will kick his ass
badge
Because I am an awesome Crab with style, charm and class, oh!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tokhuah wrote:
Nightfall is marred by a stupid promo policy that creates exclusivity in a sealed product that resembles a board game not a CCG.

The mechanics of this game are great but Martial Law will be my final expansion until they fix this issue. It stinks when something that would otherwise be the penultimate of awesome wears the smear of excrement becasue of a cheap marketing tactic.

Did you miss out on one of the promos? I may have a spare I could send you...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Gordon
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tokhuah wrote:

It's sad that you will miss out on a great game due to something so trivial. I saw that you posted something very similar to this on another thread so I will respond similarly: there's nothing really exclusive about the promos. They're available to all those who wish to seek them out, and at little to no cost. I think it is a great way to maintain interest in the game between expansions.

If you don't seek out the promos, you still get exactly what you paid for inside the box. If you decide you want the extra cards, they're there for the taking. Not continuing with the game is obviously up to you, but if you enjoy it as you say, I really don't understand why you would quit.

edit: clarity
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Chiu
Canada
Vancouver
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was researching what deck buiding game to get. I already played Dominion and my friend has it, so I wanted something different. I researched Ascension, Penny Arcade and Thunderstone. Then I just happened to look at Nightfall: Coldest War in a game store. I thought it had something to do with the Cold War. When I read the back, I realised it was a deck building game.

I went home that night to do more research on it. It turned out I liked Nightfall more than the others I was contemplating getting. I decided to get Nightfall.

The reason I like Nightfall more than the others is that there is more player interaction in NF than the others. You pretty much have to attack which means you interact with some other player directly. Many of the cards also require you to target another player or his cards. Also, the chain mechanic allows for a lot of player interaction as well and you get to do something not on your turn. All of these features make it a more appealing game to me than the other deck builders.

I only got a chance to play this game twice with just 2 players so far. I loved it. I plan to play it more later this week with more players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stuntman wrote:
I was researching what deck buiding game to get. I already played Dominion and my friend has it, so I wanted something different. I researched Ascension, Penny Arcade and Thunderstone. Then I just happened to look at Nightfall: Coldest War in a game store. I thought it had something to do with the Cold War. When I read the back, I realised it was a deck building game.

I went home that night to do more research on it. It turned out I liked Nightfall more than the others I was contemplating getting. I decided to get Nightfall.

The reason I like Nightfall more than the others is that there is more player interaction in NF than the others. You pretty much have to attack which means you interact with some other player directly. Many of the cards also require you to target another player or his cards. Also, the chain mechanic allows for a lot of player interaction as well and you get to do something not on your turn. All of these features make it a more appealing game to me than the other deck builders.

I only got a chance to play this game twice with just 2 players so far. I loved it. I plan to play it more later this week with more players.

That is exactly why it is my favorite deck builder. The intense player interaction!

Glad you like it. The world needs more Nightfall fans!

Spread the word.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Graham
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
I am Broccoli, most intelligent vegetable!
badge
I will destroy you all!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tokhuah wrote:
It stinks when something that would otherwise be the penultimate of awesome wears the smear of excrement becasue of a cheap marketing tactic.

I know everyone uses it wrong, but penultimate actually means next to last.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/penultimate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is the best, yes. That is a fact based on my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.