United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a thread in the BGG Design forum:The new "it"-thing

Here is my reply in that thread.
ExcalibursZone wrote:
A "Choose-Your-Own-Adventure"-style cardgame with quite a bit of replayability could probably be put together easily enough (mechanics wise). The trick is to give a number of cards to draw before you encounter the next choice. Though it'd take some finesse to make everything smooth and coherent.

Add deck building to that mechanic and you could have a pretty interesting game.

I foresee something along the lines of draw 1-play 1 with several paths on each card. Depending on the current state of each player's tableau, the card would have you draw and discard a number of cards. The next card is what the next player plays. This could, of course, be modified even more by tableaus or roles such as allowing a player to draw from the discard pile, draw 2 or more cards and choose one, or some other mechanic.

The only problem I see with that are players who dislike randomness. This type of mechanic screams random gameplay.

I think a game like this would be pretty darned interesting (do I see PnP game contest in the future? *ponder*)

Just thought I'd throw this out there to see if anyone would be interested in such a contest: Create a CYOA-style game using dice or cards that takes the current "state of the game" into account when making choices.

The game should be:
- Highly replayable (one of the issues with the original books)
- Support multiple players
- Easy to learn
- Highly "skinnable" or "themeable"
- Difficult to master
- Fun to play

Perhaps the game is just a set of rules with existing parts (boring) or custom parts (mo bettah).

Does this sound like an interesting challenge?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrey
Russia
St. Petersburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, I think this is very interesting challenge.

The biggest problem I see here that most boardgames engage our "play brain", the logical, mathematical, rules-loving side that plays to win. We explore stories with a different part of our mind though, it seeks to experience and feel.
Often those two can be conflicting.

You see, when you play Magic: The Gathering, you soon stop to pay attention to flavor text, you stop caring about pictures in Race for the Galaxy other as identification for your cards, and so on. Our "player" part just doesn't care. On the other hand, when you start "roleplaying" in Twilight Imperium (Third Edition), you have to play sub-optimal, because thematic moves often aren't most effective ones.

So the question is, what could be the focus of CYOA - gameplay or narrative?
Gameplay-focused card game will probably lose it's thematic part very soon and will turn into Dominion with lots of text which you've already read.
Narrative-focused card game will probably lose replayability and "difficult to master" things.

Well, this is challenge all right
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've already got a basic system that I'm toying with. The system seems easy and allows for a lot of flexibility in roleplaying, I'm just struggling to work out the best way to write scenarios that use the system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
ExcalibursZone wrote:
The game should be:
- Highly replayable (one of the issues with the original books)
- Easy to learn
- Difficult to master
- Fun to play

Why is #2 REQUIRED? And why are #3 and #4 important? And shouldn't #5 be required in all game contests?

I actually think as a contest this is an interesting idea but with those 5 requirements I think it is an impossible task. Making it replayable is the real trick. Who cares at that point if it's skinable? And if it takes a little effort to learn, who cares?

I would rewrite the requirement simply as, the game should be more complex and replayable than a filler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrey
Russia
St. Petersburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Yep, best games' themes are inseparable from the mechanics. Skin-ability could probably lead to blandness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Woodard
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good points, all.

I would say that the game would instead have:

- Support multiple players
- Highly replayable
- Easy to learn

Currently, choose your own adventure books are basically solo-interactive fiction. The challenge, really, is to create a game that breaks this barrier.

Highly replayable is important because CYOA books are fun the first few times and then you start skipping over parts to find new avenues and eventually get shelved. The game should be able to support A LOT of different combinations/choices that lead to very different outcomes.

Easy to learn is important. We don't want iconography all over the place causing players to look at a chart or cheat sheet every time they play a card. Icons are a good way to do the most common things (draw a card, play a card, move a card, etc) but if you get too heavy into it, things start getting complicated. Also, overly-complex rules would diminish the feel of a CYOA book where you're given choices based on the current environment (page). Choices still need to be made, but if things are too complex it might make the choices too difficult.

I leave the method of how choices are made/resolved up to the individual who creates a game but hopefully it'll be straightforward.

Oh, and you needn't use cards, but that's what I see as a good system. ;) So tiles, dice, etc. could be used as well. I only ask that if you use dice that you use standard dice and not custom dice. After I created DieCiv, I vowed to not make custom stickered dice again ;) heh

NOTE: I have updated the OP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
I've already got a basic system that I'm toying with. The system seems easy and allows for a lot of flexibility in roleplaying, I'm just struggling to work out the best way to write scenarios that use the system.

Interested to see what you come up with
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinKase wrote:
kurthl33t wrote:

Interested to see what you come up with

That project is on the back burner right now, I'm afraid. I'm focusing on writing/coding my first Interactive Fiction game. Even with the natural language coding of Inform 7, it's slow going!

But the game system really is pretty simple and can be mapped onto a lot of different worlds. I very much intend to get back to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if you need a playtester I will drop hints on my availability
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinKase wrote:
Well, if you need a playtester I will drop hints on my availability

Thanks, good to know
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fee
United States
Corning
New York
flag msg tools
designer
No fair! They're using brains against us! We removed our brains to make room for guns and explosives!
mbmbmbmbmb
Random_Phobosis wrote:
First of all, I think this is very interesting challenge.

The biggest problem I see here that most boardgames engage our "play brain", the logical, mathematical, rules-loving side that plays to win. We explore stories with a different part of our mind though, it seeks to experience and feel.
Often those two can be conflicting.

You see, when you play Magic: The Gathering, you soon stop to pay attention to flavor text, you stop caring about pictures in Race for the Galaxy other as identification for your cards, and so on. Our "player" part just doesn't care. On the other hand, when you start "roleplaying" in Twilight Imperium (Third Edition), you have to play sub-optimal, because thematic moves often aren't most effective ones.

Gameplay-focused card game will probably lose it's thematic part very soon and will turn into Dominion with lots of text which you've already read.
Narrative-focused card game will probably lose replayability and "difficult to master" things.

Well, this is challenge all right

I disagree, at least in part, with this as a sweeping generalization. I have played Magic since it started and I still read the flavor text for nearly every card I draw. I know people that refuse to play with certain cards simply because they do not like the artwork.

I've played games that I really did not enjoy the mechanics and gameplay (Warhammer 40K 2nd edition) because I loved the theme, flavor, and visuals of the game.

For many gamers, the theme and visual impact are just as important as the game play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrey
Russia
St. Petersburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
manyslayer wrote:
I've played games that I really did not enjoy the mechanics and gameplay (Warhammer 40K 2nd edition) because I loved the theme, flavor, and visuals of the game.

Now that you mention it, I once bought a heap of AT-43 Initiation Set: Operation Damocles boxes, took the minis and ditched the rules in favor of other system. If I had WH40k minis, I'd do this too. And right now I'm designing my own fantasy wargame rules from ground up, just because I have WHFB minis collecting dust and don't like (well, actually, hate) the rules.

I mean, when I find that math and feelings are conflicting, I try to eliminate the conflict. Otherwise I fully agree with you, there are games that I play only because of theme. But I just wish the rules were up to par.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
interesting idea and challenge. subscribing. and that link to the polish guy's work. wow very intriguing stuff there. need a closer look at that tonight.

at first glance i would think a party of adventures, each with their own deck, mix and match as you draw up your solo forces might at least stave off repetition for a time.

i wonder as well whether Dark Cults might be something to consider as a foundational source. i am working on a personal Edward Gorey themed set of cards for the game just because it looks interesting and flexible with how it works in the storytelling elements
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Woodard
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I found it disturbingly interesting that Dark Cults' current rating is 6.66 *shudder*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
curt, you and nate have inspired me

WIP - Shadows Upon Lassadar - Revenge of the Raven Consort
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamil Chocimski
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Random_Phobosis wrote:

These are valid points, story based games are hard to harness.
However there are similar type games out there, Have you heard of Dixit This would be a great starting point!
Have the players create the story & have the cards present options, challenges, obstacles, and varying changes, as well as present characters, themes, locations for the player.

Hmm... This is a challenge indeed!

One question, would this Contest be a group effort? As in, BGG members split into groups and collaborate on their own project?
Or each member for himself!?
I would think, with the nature of this game & contest it would be a lot of fun in tackling this in groups!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelo Nikolaou
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is very interesting! I'm game (if I manage to find some time...)

How much would you want the games to differ from Tales of the Arabian Nights? That is probably the best CYOA representation

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Woodard
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to be clear and get this out there: I won't be able to run a contest due to time constraints. I put this out there to get creative juices flowing and see if anyone would want a contest like this. It's worked with Todd at least :)

As to the questions from hunter4hire and moonleaf:

If you want groups, go for it.

If you make the game like TotAN then it's TotAN ;) I think something different would be in order. BUT, it's up to the creator.

I've heard of Dixit but haven't played it due to the mindset of my gaming groups. The game can be cooperative or competitive, your choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.