Popular Tags: [View All]
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well all good things must come to an end, and that includes this week! Thanks everyone who participated in making my week special. I had a blast!

I'd like to take this opportunity to introduce you all to the newest owner of a GotW Microbadge:
Andreas Johansson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
I spent 200 GG and all I got was this lousy overtext!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I first became aware of his existence through a Geeklist I created about books. I noticed that he posted quite frequently and always was reading books I had never heard of. In fact, many of Andreas's contributions to BGG are in things that I'm not really pulled towards which is why I chose him as the next GotW! Here we go...

Orcoteuthis wrote:
OK, a short presentation of myself:

I was born in 1982 in Stockholm, but live and have lived most of my life in Linköping (some 200 km southwest of Stockholm), where I also studied for my MSc, except for one year spent as an exchange student in Aachen, Germany. I work as an engineer at an aerospace and defense firm.

I played more-or-less the usual set of family and mass-market games as a kid. Got into Magic the Gathering in my early teens, which I played religiously for about a year before fatigue set in. Meanwhile I'd got started with RPGs and miniatures (specifically WHFB), which I went on to play, eventually together with some eurogames, until a bit into university. For various reasons I then pretty much dropped out of gaming* for several years, eventually getting back to RPGs, miniatures - now mostly historicals - and boardgames, in that order. Even had a brief renewed fling with ccg's, but that didn't last. Around the same time - in 2007 - I found BGG, and eventually became a fairly active member.

So what do I play, more specifically? On the boardgame front, I play a variety of things, mostly euros, but also some wargames and ameritrash. On the miniatures front, I dabble in fantasy skirmish like Malifaux and Song of Blades and Heroes, but my chief efforts are for 15mm historicals, my favoured systems being DBA and DBMM. My favorite period is the European middle ages. RPG-wise, I'm currently GM'ing a Call of Cthulhu campaign, which is nearing its end. After that we'll be off to something else.

As readers of the What book did you just finish reading? geeklist will be aware, I'm also an avid reader, mostly of history, science, and speculative fiction.

* Excepting computer strategy games, which I kept at for a few more years, but since I hardly ever talk about them on the Geek, and have not got back into them, I'm not saying much about them here.

Poll
Which one is the lie?
I have more painted miniatures than unpainted ones.
I bought a thousand-pack of ziplocks to organize gaming components.
I own more books than can fit into my bookshelves.
      97 answers
Poll created by kvenosdel

Welcome to the spotlight Andreas! Here's a few questions to start you off:

1. What does your user name mean? I can't figure it out at all!

2. What is your favorite thing about living in Sweden?

3. You write a lot of session reports. Please link the two or three you consider your best and tell us why!

Have a fun week!

Please note: Currently Andreas needs 700 thumbs to reach his golden meeple. Let's all band together and push him over the hump.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
If you have some sanity left...
badge
...come and join me in the tavern I buy you a mug of beer.
mb
Congratulations!

My usual questions:
- Ever played any RPG's?
- Have you ever visited the RPG side of the site?
- Will you congratulate you're RPGG and VGG counterpart?

Have fun this week and may you play many games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
GROG~GRATZ! and perhaps you'd like to explain what 'formation' your "uberbadge" represented?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy
United States
Los Osos
California
flag msg tools
This overtext is far more interesting than I am.
badge
One die to rule them all.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Andreas!

A few questions for you.

I see you are quite the prolific miniature painter (I am too). How long do you typically spend painting on figure? What are a couple of techniques that you would suggest to budding artists?

I noted that you have your silver microbadge creator. What is your favorite that you have done?

Do you play Role-playing games or video games? Which are your favorites?

What are you favorite games to play with your family members?

Have a great week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raimond
Sweden
Göteborg
Västra Götalands län
flag msg tools
Northern Lights
badge
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. (Carl Sagan 1934-1996)
mbmbmbmbmb
Grattis Andreas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Vindolanda
Britannia
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Andreas! Nice Avatar!
Some questions: What is the coolest thing you have done in your job?
What books are you reading now?
Have a great week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
"Jayne, your mouth is talking. You might wanna look to that."
badge
"Wash, we got some local color happening. A grand entrance would not go amiss."
mbmbmbmbmb
CONGRATULATIONS

Enjoy your week in the spotlight!!! thumbsup

Question:

What is your most & least favorite game mechanic and why?

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Fro
United States
Buffalo
United States
flag msg tools
admin
I just want to say, God, on behalf of all of us thank you for all of the good things we do in your name, like charity and forgiveness. That’s an idea we would never come up with. That’s for sure. You know that better than anybody.
mb
Many 'grats to you!

What is your favorite race in WHFB?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Congratulations! Enjoy your week!

What is your favourite board wargame?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Grattis Andreas!

Nice seeing a Swedish Geek of the Week! What game are you currently dying to buy and/or get played?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilko Drude
Germany
Goettingen
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
What are you doing!? I don't even know you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations - I am also curious about your username, after having seen your helmet nearly as often as ronster's.

P.S.: Thread duly thumbed. Take that, Kevin! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Another question I forgot to ask: Which of your contributions was deemed Pyuredeadbrilliant?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Johansson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone. Take it easy, it's the first time I'm GotW!

kvenosdel wrote:

1. What does your user name mean? I can't figure it out at all!

2. What is your favorite thing about living in Sweden?

3. You write a lot of session reports. Please link the two or three you consider your best and tell us why!

1. It's a Graeco-Latin compound in the style of scientific nomenclature (cf Architeuthis, a genus of giant squid), which loosely translates as "hell squid". It's a reference to Cthulhu - the sort of thing a particularly oblivious scientist might decide to call him before going mad.

2. That's hard to answer. Things I missed when I lived in Germany included shops open on Sundays and easy access to rye bread ...

3. Might go for The Grand Vizier meets Dracula and A somewhat different Pacific War as my personal favourites. They are (I flatter myself) funny while still conveying a good idea of how the games played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I Am
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
Every weirdo in the world is on my wavelength
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Congratulations on being named GOTW!

I see that Fire in the Sky: The Great Pacific War 1941-1945 is one of your highest rated wargames (not counting historical miniatures). What makes this game stand out?

I've never played miniatures, historical or otherwise, should I? Why?

I have a feeling that the main attraction is the modeling and painting part, am I wrong?

I like your geekbadge, btw, which begs this question: NATO symbols or silhouettes on counters?

Enjoy your week in the spotlight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Johansson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
GROG~GRATZ! and perhaps you'd like to explain what 'formation' your "uberbadge" represented?

No particular one, just a generic battleline with infantry in the centre and cavalry on the wings. Was supposed to be a stopgap till I thought of a better one, but somehow that never happened and I grew sort of attached to this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Johansson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barad_the_dwarf wrote:

My usual questions:
- Ever played any RPG's?
- Have you ever visited the RPG side of the site?
- Will you congratulate you're RPGG and VGG counterpart?

I believe I mentioned my RPG'ing in the presentation. I occasionally visit the RPG side of the 'Geek but rarely if ever post anything there.

Not sure what the last one means? Are there separate GotW's for RPGG and VVG?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilko Drude
Germany
Goettingen
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
What are you doing!? I don't even know you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Orcoteuthis wrote:

2. That's hard to answer. Things I missed when I lived in Germany included shops open on Sundays and easy access to rye bread ...

Interesting. Rye bread is very easy to get here (even on Sundays you should be able to find some). Is German rye bread just so different from Swedish ones?

Episode from one of my visits to Sweden: I walked into a bakery with a few dozen different kinds of bread and asked (in English) whether they had any non-sweetened bread. The reply was: "Are you from Germany?"
(And the answer was no)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Johansson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1nf1n1ty wrote:

I see you are quite the prolific miniature painter (I am too). How long do you typically spend painting on figure? What are a couple of techniques that you would suggest to budding artists?

Can't say how long I typically spend per figure, I tend to work in brief stints interspersed with reading or websurfing. I'm not particularly fast however. As for tips, if you intend to paint wargame armies, learn to love washes and drybrushes, they look great at tabletop distance and are very quick to do.

Quote:
I noted that you have your silver microbadge creator. What is your favorite that you have done?

Hm. mb I think. Quite happy with mb too, which was done freehand as the original didn't survive shrinking.

Quote:
Do you play Role-playing games or video games? Which are your favorites?

See presentation above. The single videogame I played the most has to be Civilization III, with the rest of that series and StarCraft as runners up.

Quote:
What are you favorite games to play with your family members?

Unfortunately, most of my family only plays quiz games, whcih I dont' much enjoy. My brother is into wargames (hex'n'counter etc), the one we've enjoyed the most together is perhaps Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Russia 1941-42.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Johansson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HilkMAN wrote:
Orcoteuthis wrote:

Interesting. Rye bread is very easy to get here (even on Sundays you should be able to find some). Is German rye bread just so different from Swedish ones?

Maybe it was just hte particular stores around where lived? I didn't find any anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Johansson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sullafelix wrote:

Some questions: What is the coolest thing you have done in your job?

If I told you I'd have to kill you.
Quote:

What books are you reading now?

Hollow Earth by David Standish, a survey of the idea of our planet being hollow in science, literature, and crackpottery. Interesting if poorly edited. Also got bookmarks in a biography of the Holy Roman Emperor Frederick II (not to be confused with the Prussian king with the same name and number, who lived half a millennium later) and a short story collection by Clark Ashton Smith.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Johansson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashitaka wrote:

What is your most & least favorite game mechanic and why?

I don't think I can answer that, depends too much on context.

I do detest miniatures games that make you guess ranges for artillery etc. That's supposed to be the spotter's job, not the general's!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Johansson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kvenosdel wrote:
Another question I forgot to ask: Which of your contributions was deemed Pyuredeadbrilliant?

This geeklist: Tabletop miniatures games by rank
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Johansson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sxmpxr wrote:
I see that Fire in the Sky: The Great Pacific War 1941-1945 is one of your highest rated wargames (not counting historical miniatures). What makes this game stand out?

The way it manages to emphasize logistics without devolving into endless spreadsheet exercise.
Quote:
I've never played miniatures, historical or otherwise, should I? Why?

You should try it once and find out if you like it. Why - well, at best you find a lifetime passion (and chances can't be too bad of that if you're into other kinds of wargames already), and at worst you've wasted an afternoon.
Quote:
I have a feeling that the main attraction is the modeling and painting part, am I wrong?

Depends. It's a big part for me, but there's people who only play with prepainted minis, and others who're happy to paint and paint and hardly ever play.
Quote:
I like your geekbadge, btw, which begs this question: NATO symbols or silhouettes on counters?

Either is fine with me.

And a big thanks to everyone for the congratulations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Johansson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yokiboy wrote:
Grattis Andreas!

Nice seeing a Swedish Geek of the Week! What game are you currently dying to buy and/or get played?

Apart from my favourite games I always want to play, I'm particularly hoping to get Song of Blades and Heroes on the table to get to finally use a warband I recently painted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.