$10.00
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Curious to see how many people have been playing it how and how things have changed, if at all given various factors....

Poll: Modern Art: The Card Game/Masters Gallery, ''play & score additional artists'' phase
Depending on who taught you, how the rules were interpreted, and what electronic versions of the game were played, there appear to be 2 interpretations of the rules for when you play additional cards at the end of the round to score additional points, but NOT affect the placements/popularity of the artists.

Method A
How ever many different artists you played, you can play that many of any artist cards out of your hand.

For example, someone played the following cards going into the end of the round: AABBC
Now at round's end, that player can play ANY 3 cards from his hand to score additional points, so any of the following would be legit plays:
AAA (play 3 Artist A cards), AAB (play 2 Artist A cards, and 1 Artist B card), AAD (he didn't have any Artist D cards showing, but he's allowed to play one anyways), DDE (I'm sure you get the idea by now)

Method B (aka what the iOS implementation does (as of v1.02):
"Play up to 1 additional artist card for each artist that was played"

For example (same example as in Method A), someone played the following cards going into the end of the round: AABBC
Now at round's end, that player can play at most ABC. He can't play two B's since the "1 additional artist for each artist that was played". Furthermore, that player may NOT play and Ds or Es since he didn't have any of them playing going into the end of the round.

Method C:
How ever many different artists you played, you can played that many of those artist cards out of your hand. This is sort of a combination between Method A and Method B

For example (same example as in Method A), someone played the following cards going into the end of the round: AABBC
Now at round's end, that player can play at most any number of 3 artist cards within ABC, so AAA, ABC, BCC are all valid. Still no D nor E though.
12. What rules did you follow IN THE PAST for playing and scoring additional artists?
Method A
Medhot B
Method C
13. Which rules do you think are correct?
Method A
Method B
Method C
14. Which rules do you follow NOW with any new information you've heard?
Method A
Method B
Method C
      44 answers
Poll created by ackmondual

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gray
United States
Erie
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, I believe the Modern Art Card Game app on iPad plays according to the Method B ruleset.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! I guess I was reading the other discussion completely wrong, due to people not fully stating all of the elements of their method of scoring. I thought it was about B vs C. If I had understood that people meant A, I would have made an even stronger defense of B. I can understand how people might think C, but to be able to play 'extra' cards from a suit you didn't play (and even multiples) makes no sense. It's a very tense and elegant game when played with B, but playing with ruleset A would be like playing without any rules at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great game on iOS. I highly recommend that people pick up this app if you have an iOS device or find some way to play the iOS version if you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Maurer
United States
Waldwick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
In the rules, it states, for each artist you played that is a masterpiece card. Masterpiece cards are cards from the three masterpiece artist determined by the most cards played from each artist at the end of the round. So, you can play, at most,three cards. One from each masterpiece artist you have played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Turco
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stormkingleader wrote:
In the rules, it states, for each artist you played that is a masterpiece card. Masterpiece cards are cards from the three masterpiece artist determined by the most cards played from each artist at the end of the round. So, you can play, at most,three cards. One from each masterpiece artist you have played.

I'm aware I'm bit late for this...but I'm quite sure all the cards are called Masterpiece cards, so if you played cards from 5 different artists I can't see why you shouldn't be able to play five more (of course by the same artist), it's true there is probably no point in playing cards of the 2 non winning artists, but the rules say nothing about being able to just play cards by the 3 most displayed artist.

So for example if you play ABBCD, and A, B and C are the scoring artists you should still be able to play a card from your hand by artist D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter D
United Kingdom
london
uk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On other threads Dr Knizia himself has confirmed B is the correct way to play.

"For each different artist with cards displayed in front of him, he may play one additional card OF THAT ARTIST from his hand."

So, maximum of three cards, all different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.