Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy H
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started working through a 2 player game (playing both players) again tonight attempting to learn the rules and I have a question about wages. If you have 0 dollars by the 7th week and you have to play your wage card, do you lose your entire set of circus talent? The rules appear to state yes.

If by some bad luck on hiring talent rolls, which in turn prevents giving performances (which was the case tonight), this appears to be a devastating setback to a player.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going by memory here, and yes, I believe you would lose them all. That's why the idea is to play the wages card when it will do the least damage. Either before you have a lot of performers or right after a show. I think what happened in your game is the exception, rather than the rule. And, frankly, in a 2 player game, I'd probably say "Well, that sucks. Lets set it up again."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Decker
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Money is definitely tight at the beginning of the game. "Perform or starve," is more than just a saying...it's what you need to do in the game to survive. Remember that you start with SOME talent at the beginning of the game. In fact, if you are lucky you might have enough to get a 10 point performance without hiring anyone new for your first performance. And you get paid whether or not you put on a top performance. So in general, you really want to put on a few shows before you start hiring anyone new. And in fact, you might want to pay your Wages to your starting group before hiring anyone new as well.

But yes, if you've gotten to your 7th turn (week) and you haven't put on a single show yet, you will lose whatever talent you have. Perform or starve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Decker
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

I guess I should add, just to make sure the rules are understood, that you don't need to match all (or in fact, ANY) of the talent on the performance chit to put on a show. You will always get the BASE performance points, even if you match none of the talent...and then you will start accumulating points for past performances (renown) after your first show.

And you will get paid for performing ($5 in the spring), even if it's not a Best Performance or one that matches that talent demand. So if you start with a clown and two acrobats, for example, you can put on two performances for $5 each, and then pay your wages of $7 without having to eliminate any talent. Only in the rarest of circumstances should you not be able to do that much by turn 7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy H
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks for all the responses, I do appreciate it.

TheRook wrote:

I guess I should add, just to make sure the rules are understood, that you don't need to match all (or in fact, ANY) of the talent on the performance chit to put on a show. You will always get the BASE performance points, even if you match none of the talent...and the you will start accumulating points for past performances (renown) after your first show.

Wow, that's exactly what I was doing wrong. I was thinking the talent demands on the performance counter was a requirement to perform a show not a scoring bonus.

Looking forward to giving this another run through tonight.

Thanks for your help Tom!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.