Popular Tags: ToDo [+] [View All]
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
CONTEST ENTRIES ARE IN THE NEXT TWO POSTS

Status: Contest is just starting. Last rules update 2011/12/31.

Purpose: This is a two part contest in which artists and game designers will participate separately. In part one, artists will design game components and artwork for non-existent games. In part two, the designers will create games from the artwork created in part one.

Most of the recent contests have been quick and easy to PnP or otherwise conducive to card games. I want boards. Put a rondel with 4 different colors on the board. Add a track of numbers around the outer edge that counts from -10 to 53. Place a round tracking chart in the corner with seven spaces: [1][2][3][scoring][4][5][scoring].

Just remember someone will be trying to make a game out of what you do. So don't go crazy. Remember, people will not want to playtest a game that requires a lot of pages to print and put together.

Prizes: There will be two separate prize pools. I will donate 25 GG to each prize pool. One pool will pay off the winners of part one of the contest. The other pool will be for winners of part two of the contest. Tips added to this post will be distributed among either pool evenly. I will make two followup posts to this post for people who wish to tip one or the other part of the contest separately. Prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place will probably be split shares of 4/2/1 of the prize pool for each part of the contest. (This information may change in the future.)

Timeline: Artists will begin the contest by creating a game board along with a page of art pieces that can be used with the game board as tokens, counters, and general bits for the game. Details of these requirements are in the rules below. Deadline for submitting these entries is 2012/01/15 23:59. The part two of the contest will begin. Game designers will chose an art entry and create the rules for the game played with that artwork. Designers can tweak and modify the game board and component as needed. Specific rules for this are below. Those designs must be submitted by 2012/03/01.

RULES For the entire contest
1) While you may participate in either or both parts of the contest, the author of an entry to the artist contest may not use the artwork submitted to that contest as the basis of their game design.
2) You may enter either or both parts of the contest more than once. But please only make one game per collection of artwork.
3) Once the artwork has been submitted, the artist may not modify the artwork to assist a designer with modifications. (There will plenty of time to pair up and collaborate after the contest is over.)

RULES for the artwork part of the contest
1) Submissions to the artwork contest will be comprised of the following:
a) One central game board. Area of the board should be equivalent in size of 2-6 pieces of A4 or Letter Size paper. (Or several smaller boards comprising a central game "board" if you want to make a modular board. Just keep the smaller boards large enough so that people will not call them tiles.)
b) One or more optional "player boards" no larger than a sheet of A4 or Letter Size paper.
c) One A4 or Letter Size page of additional clip graphics that share icongraphy with elements of the game board(s).
NOTE: Collectively the above three parts of the submission will be referred to hereafter as the "assets" of an "artwork submission".
d) All artwork should be submitted in a zip file containing PNG files. The zip file may also contain the graphics in other file formats (PSD or other layered formats, vector formats, etc) to ease manipulation of the artwork.
e) You may include one (or a handful of) font(s) of your own creation or that you can prove has no licensing issues with your submission that you think complements the artwork. These should be submitted as a font file (Adobe Type 1 or True Type), not a PNG. If the font is readily available online, you don't have to include the font file in your submission. A link to the file is good enough.
f) A separate low resolution (72 or 96dpi) PDF should also be produced containing the board(s) and stock artwork page so people can view the assets without having to download a 15+ MB zip file. (Alternate file formats, such as Google Docs, for this part of the entry are allowed.)
g) Your submission must have a name. This name is in no way binding for the game contest, but is there so we may easily refer to each entry.
2) You may start a Work In Progress thread for your artwork submission in the Design Contests thread. Start the subject like of the thread with "WIP: A&G Artwork [name of project]".

RULES for the game design part of the contest
1) Your game must include:
a) most of the artwork assets for a single entry to part one of the contest. That artwork should make up most of the artwork needed for your game. Do not mix and match from artwork submission.
b) a rulebook.
2) Your game may include or require various bits provided by the players, such as dice, markers or tokens, play money, etc. Please keep the number of dice down to a minimum, these are supposed to be board games, not dice games.
3) A small number of cards made from the artwork assets (or no artwork) may be part of the game, but the game should primarily be a board game, not a card game.
4) Submissions will include:
a) a PDF (or Google Doc) copy of the rules.
b) modified copies of the art assets needed to play the game. (Making these PnP friendly will make it easier for people to test your game, but making the file PnP friendly is not required for the contest.) modifications to the board(s) can include removing/replacing a section of the artwork, adding text (especially the game's name) as appropriate, adding new figures/charts as needed, etc. The rule of thumb here is it should be obvious to the casual observer which set of art assets you started with.
5) You under no obligation to make use of the entirety of the artwork submission. For example, if a submission includes a main board and a player's board your game does not need to use the player's board -- or your game might only use the player's board ignoring the original board entirely.
6) You may start a Work In Progress thread for your game design submission in the Design Contests thread. Start the subject like of the thread with "WIP: A&G Game [name of project/assets name]".

Voting:Voting will take place separately for art submissions and game submissions at the end of the game design part of the contest.

Since there are only 5 and 6 entries in the two parts of the contest, I'm going to use a simple voting format. Choose your top three games and top three art sets (or only one or the other, you don't have to vote in both contests), and list them from first to third in a geekmail to me, starting no sooner than April 1st. Points will be awarded to each game for each vote it receives with 1st place being worth 4 points, 2nd place being worth 2 points and 1 point for 3rd place. The entry with the most points wins. The prize pool will be distributed with each of the top three places getting 3/6+rounding, 2/6, 1/6 of the pool.

Voting ends when 4/15 flows past the international dateline.

Results:

Top 3 in art portfolio:
1) Wind Chaser by Ilya Baranovsky (127.55 GG)
2) No Man's Land by Mike NZ (83 GG)
3) Age of Sail by Jake Staines (41 GG)

Top 3 in game design:
1) Conquest of the Skies by Jake Staines (131.55 GG)
2) Rise of the Rebels by Jesse (87 GG)
3) Zeppelin Express by Kuba P (43 GG)

Tip this post only if you want your GG split evenly to the prize pools of both contests.

Update History
4/25 Prizes awarded. We are done. Thanks to all who participated.
4/19 Winners announced (GG will be distributed over the weekend so if you still want to tip, do so.)
4/8 Voting rules and the bold comment at the top of the thread.
12/31 Final contest extension.
12/09 Contest extended 2 weeks at participants' request
11/18 Added rule 1e) fonts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Tip this post only if you want your GG added to the prize pool for the artwork contest.

Artwork prize pool is currently 251.55 GG. (25 + 188.5 + 38.05)

Links to WIP threads:
Age of Sail
An Afternoon Aloft
Mutany on the Rutland
No Man's Land
Supermarket Sweep
Wind Chaser
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Tip this post only if you want your GG added only to the game design contest pool.

Game Design prize pool is currently 261.5 GG. (25 + 188.5 + 48)

Links to WIP threads:
Port of Call
Conquest of the Skies
Zeppelin Express
Rise of the Rebels
Grocery Grab

Games withdrawn/not entered/not ready from the contest
Pirate Duels
Wind Chaser
Hearts of Sea and Sky
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
Sounds rad. Sad that I have to wait until mid december to start designing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jmucchiello wrote:
a) One central game board. Area of the board should be equivalent in size of 2-6 pieces of A4 or Letter Size paper. (Or several smaller boards comprising a central game "board" if you want to make a modular board. Just keep the smaller boards large enough so that people will not call them tiles.)

So the smallest board will have to be at least 11" x 17"? Are you outlawing single-page boards?

jmucchiello wrote:
b) One or more optional "player boards" no larger than a sheet of A4 or Letter Size paper.

Does optional player boards mean you don't have to include any at all? Or is the artist required to include at least one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Black Canyon wrote:
jmucchiello wrote:

So the smallest board will have to be at least 11" x 17"? Are you outlawing single-page boards?

I would like it to be but I suppose I should amend this slightly. For example, a central board of 8x10 is fine if each player also has a player board. So the game's tableau should 2-6 letter/A4 pages. But the shape of the boards that make up the tableau can be any size/shape as long as they aren't "cards". No card games. Does that make sense?

My short answer would be "yes, 11x17 plus". But if every player has a 8x10 player board, then a four player game is already 16x20. So at that point it would be silly to complain about the size of the central board. (And the hint for this in the rules is that you can have just player boards. I left that in, right?)

Quote:
jmucchiello wrote:

Does optional player boards mean you don't have to include any at all? Or is the artist required to include at least one?

Optional means optional. The artist does not have to create one. The game designer doesn't have to use one if it is provide. The designer can create a player board from the art assets if one is not provided. Should I add that explicitly to the rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamil Chocimski
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds like an amazing contest!
I already have a game idea, along with some components, however
I'm not much of an artist, so I used a lot of clip art & pictures I found
on Google.

Do all components need original art?
what if there's a LOT of them?
Can this contest be group based? (as in BGG members pooling their efforts, skills, and talents on a single project.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
I don't think you understand the purpose of this specific contest. The idea here is to create artwork that "looks like a boardgame". This is for the artists to do. Then the game designers would take the artwork and actually make boardgames. Communication between the artists and designers is restricted just to make it more interesting.

Since you say you are not an artist, you need to wait until some artists submit their artwork. Then you can pick one set of art assets and make a game from it.

We hold a different contest every 1-2 months and most of those contests allow participants to pool their talents. Likewise, most game designs start with the designer having an idea and contacting artists to make it pretty later. This contest turns all that around backwards by starting with the artwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
<Insert "more entries" cry here>!

(Seriously, if nobody else does any art I'm going to be stuck come the second half of the contest...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L.
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've never tried to design anything other then a card before, but if no one else is submitting anything I guess I'll see what I can do -_-

I've been waiting for the second half XD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:
<Insert "more entries" cry here>!

(Seriously, if nobody else does any art I'm going to be stuck come the second half of the contest...)

I'm actually working on two different art entries. I am very excited about both sets of illustrations and I hope they will inspire some cool games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Black Canyon wrote:

I'm actually working on two different art entries. I am very excited about both sets of illustrations and I hope they will inspire some cool games.

Good news - I'll look forward to seeing them!
Ever since I started with the boats, I've been thinking of other kinds of thing I could have been drawing instead, so I'm quite tempted to do more than one set myself...

(I was hoping you'd join in in particular, but it seemed rude to call you out by name!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not going to argue if you both submit multiple entries
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
JustinKase wrote:
I'm not going to argue if you both submit multiple entries

I might cheer if they did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm considering throwing together a board design. It's a design I've had in my head for about a year now, and have never figured out a good game for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
That is a good use of the contest, I suppose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
On the topic of fonts...

If I find a great typeface to match my artwork, I would probably include a small sample of the font, its name, and where to download it somewhere in the margins of my entry. That way, I don't have to include the actual font file and the game designer can decide whether he wants to use the font at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
I've updated the rules to allow the submission of a few fonts with the other art assets. Totally optional. My only concern is that the fonts be royalty free, unencumbered by licensing requirements. So if you are submitting a font, do your homework on it first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Black Canyon wrote:
On the topic of fonts...

If I find a great typeface to match my artwork, I would probably include a small sample of the font, its name, and where to download it somewhere in the margins of my entry. That way, I don't have to include the actual font file and the game designer can decide whether he wants to use the font at all.

I'll make that legal too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, thanks Joe. I don't have any fonts in mind right now, but the thought occurred to me that I might like to include some.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Speaking of fonts - until I re-read the contest guidelines and saw the 'one extra art page', I'd been planning to do up nicely rendered/shaded characters that people could conceivably use for game titles, board area headers etc. ... these would be full painted-over characters in a separate PSD, could I sneak that in under the heading of 'font'?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:
Speaking of fonts - until I re-read the contest guidelines and saw the 'one extra art page', I'd been planning to do up nicely rendered/shaded characters that people could conceivably use for game titles, board area headers etc. ... these would be full painted-over characters in a separate PSD, could I sneak that in under the heading of 'font'?

Why can't they be part of your page of extra art? The game designers could use them for anything from tokens to cards to locations on the boards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Black Canyon wrote:

Why can't they be part of your page of extra art? The game designers could use them for anything from tokens to cards to locations on the boards.

Because the rules state that there's only one A4 or Letter page of extra art, basically, and I'm concerned that it would bump off graphics which would be more useful for the actual making of games.

I suppose I could argue that there's no specification of the resolution of that page, and 1 A0 page at 150 DPI is the same as 1 A4 page at 600 DPI, but that would seem almost like cheating...!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe the problem is the one page of extra art. I take it you're having difficulty fitting everything onto that one page. I haven't gotten that far yet, but I can see it being a problem. Perhaps we can change the rules to "1-2 pages" of extra art assets?

Also, I think 600 dpi is a little excessive. Why not cap it at 300?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
If enough people complain about the lack of space on a single sheet of A4, I'll think about it. As for DPI, I would prefer that people stick to 300 dpi for the PNGs, the PDF sampler should lower resolution of course.

I'm also wondering about recolorings. In the Age of Sail entry is the various ships recolored. I'm wondering if just relaxing the "single sheet" rule for recoloring would help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.