$10.00
Recommend
25 
 Thumb up
 Hide
150 Posts
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Contests

Subject: Art & Game Contest Rules and Entry Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: ToDo [+] [View All]
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe was considering extending the deadline, which I hope he does. I am aiming on finishing one of my entries this weekend, which will be past the original deadline of today. And I think holding out for Ilya's entry would be a very wise choice.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Here's my second entry - I hope we see some others!

It's about 30MB, this time, ~60 images - although many more combinations are possible with the layered PSDs included, of course. It seems to me within the rules of the competition to re-draw the boundary lines on the board, so they're on a separate layer (I hope it is, since I didn't include any on the Age of Sail entry!), as are the various tracks. There's no specific 'low-ink' variants this time (due to shortness of time) but the starfield is a separate layer in case people are wary of printing out all that black!





The more I worked on this one, the more a very firm idea for a game using these parts came to mind, so there's a fair skew towards that game idea in the parts available! Naturally, in the spirit of the competition I won't describe it in anything other than pictures until after the design part has finished, but I'm pretty tempted to try and make it myself in a few months' time, if nobody beats me to it. ;-)



A question to Joe; I intend to make these files available on my website for the potential benefit of future game designers; as the contest organiser, do you have anything against me doing this now, or would you prefer I waited until the design part was over? I mean - they're hosted on there now anyway, but not yet mentioned on any pages.
4 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Black Canyon wrote:
Joe was considering extending the deadline, which I hope he does. I am aiming on finishing one of my entries this weekend, which will be past the original deadline of today. And I think holding out for Ilya's entry would be a very wise choice.


Seconded!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Bichatse wrote:
Black Canyon wrote:
Joe was considering extending the deadline, which I hope he does. I am aiming on finishing one of my entries this weekend, which will be past the original deadline of today. And I think holding out for Ilya's entry would be a very wise choice.


Seconded!

It is extended. I've been sick for the last two weeks and a bit scatter brained. I'll update the rules post shortly. I'm going with the 15th.
6 
 Thumb up
0.31
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ilya 77 wrote:
Is the deadline for art contest is 31 December now?
If it was extended to 8th January I could submit my space-themed entry. It's about 30% complete and 4-5 days would be more than enough for me.


Good luck with your entry!

Are you really going to get work done on it between the 1st and the 7th? That was always a pretty big party week when I was in Russia, what with Novyii God on the first of January and Orthodox Christmas on the seventh.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Williams
Australia
Thornbury
VIC
flag msg tools
Well, despite extensions I got this done for today.

An Afternoon Aloft, finished!

Download package here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1261682/an-afternoon-aloft.zip

10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Just a thought - is it my imagination or did this contest never get posted to the site-wide contest subscription thread? Two weeks is enough time for some people to put together an entry, maybe it's worth doing now - unless I've just missed it?

Certainly bear it in mind for the design part!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Halliday
United Kingdom
Herts.
flag msg tools
XPgeddon: 8 April 2014
badge
London Cans 2008: The view is more interesting from over here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:

For the record, they're:
- Lucida Calligraphy
- Matura M7 Script Capitals
- Pristina

...but since I can't remember whether they're fonts that came with software I have installed or fonts I've bought separately ...


Just checked, I have never bought fonts and they are all available when I fire up Word so I suspect they are supplied as standard (with XP at least).

I've been following the WIP Age of Sail thread and it gave me so many ideas that I think I'll have a first attempt at game design. Dibs on the provisional title "Ports of Call" once the Game part of the contest starts .

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fee
United States
Corning
New York
flag msg tools
designer
No fair! They're using brains against us! We removed our brains to make room for guns and explosives!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:
Just a thought - is it my imagination or did this contest never get posted to the site-wide contest subscription thread? Two weeks is enough time for some people to put together an entry, maybe it's worth doing now - unless I've just missed it?

Certainly bear it in mind for the design part!


Well, it never was in Sticky - Current Contest Info either. I had hoped to get an entry for this one but work is just to crazy right now (it's supposed to be our slow timecry ).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
starting to vaguely think about 'An Afternoon Aloft'

have some ideas
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
manyslayer wrote:
Bichatse wrote:
Just a thought - is it my imagination or did this contest never get posted to the site-wide contest subscription thread? Two weeks is enough time for some people to put together an entry, maybe it's worth doing now - unless I've just missed it?

Certainly bear it in mind for the design part!


Well, it never was in Sticky - Current Contest Info either.

Yeah, I forgot about the big Contest Subscription thread. But the sticky contest thread (I maintain) I most certainly did place it in. I just haven't moved out the now closed prior contest yet.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Halliday
United Kingdom
Herts.
flag msg tools
XPgeddon: 8 April 2014
badge
London Cans 2008: The view is more interesting from over here.
mbmbmbmbmb

Is there any objection if I start a WIP: Game thread now? I know that the artwork part hasn't finished yet, and I'm happy to hold off if you would prefer the game part to start on a specific date. Won't stop me thinking about rules though whistle
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Meepleplex wrote:

Is there any objection if I start a WIP: Game thread now? I know that the artwork part hasn't finished yet, and I'm happy to hold off if you would prefer the game part to start on a specific date. Won't stop me thinking about rules though whistle

There's only one reason I would prefer that you wait. I don't want your WIP influencing the artist directly or indirectly. There's zero chance of influence if you just wait until the 15th.

On the other hand, I understand the desire to get those ideas out there and get some feedback.

It's only another week.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Derrick
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Some very cool art in here! I wish I had the time to put together my own art file for people to use. Maybe I can still find the time...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Halliday
United Kingdom
Herts.
flag msg tools
XPgeddon: 8 April 2014
badge
London Cans 2008: The view is more interesting from over here.
mbmbmbmbmb
jmucchiello wrote:
Meepleplex wrote:

Is there any objection if I start a WIP: Game thread now? I know that the artwork part hasn't finished yet, and I'm happy to hold off if you would prefer the game part to start on a specific date. Won't stop me thinking about rules though whistle

There's only one reason I would prefer that you wait. I don't want your WIP influencing the artist directly or indirectly. There's zero chance of influence if you just wait until the 15th.

On the other hand, I understand the desire to get those ideas out there and get some feedback.

It's only another week.


No problem, I understand completely. I'll wait until you announce the start of the game part.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike NZ
New Zealand
LOTR
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmn I'd love to tweak so much...as always...never mind I feel there could be a game in this somewhere!

Zip file is here: http://www.mediafire.com/?5zx7rsph4xhksz9

An many thanks Joe for organizing this competition. cool

Components as below:

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James To My Friends
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've updated the art in my entry thread: WIP: A&G [Art] 'Supermarket Sweep'
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilya Baranovsky
Russia
Novosibirsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
My entry - WIP - A&G [Art] - Wind Chaser - is finished. I guess i did it before the deadline, 3 hrs left

Still many sketches not converted in color illustrations, but it must be finished )

Download (30Mb):
http://www.4shared.com/zip/sHe32END/Wind_Chaser.html

Download Mirror
http://files.myopera.com/Ilya_B/WindChaser/Wind_Chaser.zip

Recommended fonts can be found at fontspace.com (free for commercial use)



18 
 Thumb up
5.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
a really beautiful job
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike NZ
New Zealand
LOTR
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dumarest123 wrote:
a really beautiful job


Yep what u said beautiful & looks like a real fun game too!cool
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrey
Russia
St. Petersburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Phew... since it's 01.16, I can finally speak about design.

I have a rules question for design part. How much cards is too much?
I came up with a game for Wind Chaser assets and played with the prototype whole week.

It was pretty fun, but then I counted required cards:
15+ airship upgrades
15+ treasures (they should actually be put on the same cards with upgrades for less physical components)
20+ unique upgrades for settlements (pretty interesting mechanic, but it can be cut to conform to component limits or replaced by a table).

But here's the most troublesome part.
Post-apocalyptic theme requires exploration, and there should be encounter cards for this. Lots of them.

I wanted to make unique deck for each map part, so there should be at least 50 encounter cards, which сannot be combined with other cards. But the point is, post-apocalyptic theme just asks for exploration theme.
My question is, how much cards are we allowed to make?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Random_Phobosis wrote:
Phew... since it's 01.16, I can finally speak about design.


I seem to recall that the deadline was given against the international date line, so technically there's still another couple of hours for any of the 1398 inhabitants of Niue to post an art entry!

(Realistically, since Ilya has already posted the Wind Chasers file, I'd have thought it should be fair game all the same. ;-)


(I'm looking at both Wind Chasers and Afternoon Aloft, for a settlement/conquest game and an objective-racing game respectively. We'll see how it goes...)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to games that make completely unexpected use of graphics in ways the artist never imagined.

I was thinking of suggesting a GG award for that but then I realized it will probably be the norm anyway. What's the fun in making the kind of game the graphics were intended for?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
pelni wrote:
What's the fun in making the kind of game the graphics were intended for?


25GG to the best Age of Sail-derived game based on integrated circuit design! ;-)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Halliday
United Kingdom
Herts.
flag msg tools
XPgeddon: 8 April 2014
badge
London Cans 2008: The view is more interesting from over here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:


25GG to the best Age of Sail-derived game based on integrated circuit design! ;-)


Sorry, my plans are too far advanced . And while we are at it: Why no pirate flag in the assets, or filing cabinet guns for the Crimson Permanent Assurance?

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.