Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
1. take 4 meeples, 20 tiles + starting tile
2. play tiles, place meeples and score as in basic game
3. repeat with next 20 tiles
4. try and beat previous best score
5. simple!

A good score with Inns and cathedrals expansion 60-70 (If you get a cathedral!)

have fun
Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gorely
United Kingdom
Bristol
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Right - I've tried this out a few times.

It works well if the tiles are divided into 4 piles of 20 with the extras put in the box.

I played four solitaire hands in about 10 minutes

scored 68, 57, 81 cool(cathedral city) and 2blush! (Yes 2 - large unclaimed incomplete city & very long incomplete road with an inn)

Let me know if you can beat that
(81 & 2!)
Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
mgorely wrote:
...Let me know if you can beat that (81 & 2!)
Michael

Hi Michael,

I've been playing your solitaire rules for the past week now and have been having fun. Some rules of thumb have made solo Carcassonne work well. Here they are.

1} I don't make piles of 20 tiles, but use a bag with all the tiles and quit once I have 41 tiles (starting tile + 40 game tiles) in play. This way every tile is in play till the end.

2) With every tile placed you must try to place a follower (Meeple) on a feature. This has to be done within the original rules. i.e. you can't place followers on a feature with an existing follower residing on that feature. (I don't like this rule as much. It can tie up your followers for quite a long time, but I have played this one 6-7 times and it does work, adding to the brain drain when placing tiles.)

3) Place a river first with out placing any followers till you start with the random tiles. (This one worked very well. It added to the look of the game and yielded my best score yet.)

My scores to date.

A) With mandatory follower placement (56pts)
B) With voluntary follower placement (80pts)
C) A river runs through it & random placement (102pts)

All these games used the tile bag with ALL tiles available for random draw.

Hope this helps add to your enjoyment to this game,
Jim P cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Miller
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice idea, Michael. I tried it a few times using basic tiles + Inns & Cathedrals.

Scored 69, 66, 83, 63 and 41. The last one was lots of roads and not much else. The 83 featured a finished medium-sized cathedral city. No finished cathedrals on any of the others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found this topic while searching for a solitaire variant. I expected there to be quite a few but this is the only one I have found. Anyone have any other ideas? I will be trying the one in this topic tomorrow.

I am confused as to why there is a difference between making two stacks of 20 tiles or drawing 40 tiles from the entire pool. Either way, you are getting the same random tiles. Whether you draw the tiles in the order they are stacked, or you draw them from a bag, you are still ultimately drawing from the entire tile pool. Pretend you immediately draw all 40 tiles (from a bag of 70+) then place them into two 20 tile stacks. There is no difference from doing this and drawing from a bag of 70+.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Harper
Germany
Magdeburg
Thuringia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is, to my knowledge, one other solitaire variant on BGG, at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/19909. Haven't tried either, so I can't comment on how they play, but thought you might be interested…

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
flag msg tools
mgorely wrote:
1. take 4 meeples, 20 tiles + starting tile
2. play tiles, place meeples and score as in basic game
3. repeat with next 20 tiles
4. try and beat previous best score
5. simple!

A good score with Inns and cathedrals expansion 60-70 (If you get a cathedral!)

have fun
Michael

Really enjoyed this solo version
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.