Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
GROG GRATZ! and what can you tell us about the estimated over 6,000 year old "fire down below" that you folks 'beneath & around' have ongoing?

Thanks, mate. I imagine it's last night's curry you refer too.

Who knew Sri Lankan food was so spicy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trauth
Australia
Pretty much everywhere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its always great to see a fellow Aussie - and better yet to see one that is a minis fan/user/painter.

1st question ... Ok on Canberra... your favourite part of living there, sir?

2nd -Your least favourite part of living there (if any)?

3rd) -Was wondering which, if any wargaming magazine you look for at the news agents? I normally only see the one put out by the FoW people anymore where I am at. Was wondering if the Canberra news agents might have more of a selection.

Enjoy your week, Sir.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Turri
Switzerland
Neuchâtel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As your fellow geek of the week (on VGG) I salute you.

*high five*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Mountain
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I miss our lunch time gaming sessions.... it was not long after i made a new year's resolution to play more board games that I discovered that the chap sitting a few bays away was a keen and enthusiastic gamer. Lunches became much better after that.

Congrats on becoming geek of the week. .. have you shared the news with your family?

Love the brothel question!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1nf1n1ty wrote:
Congratulations Muz!

It has been great getting to see your stuff over in the painting contest.

A few questions for you:

d10-1 What is your favorite miniature that you have painted?

d10-2What is the most time you have spent on a miniature?

d10-3 How much time do you spend basing versus painting? (you have amazing basing skills)

d10-4 What is your favorite game to play with each of your family members?

d10-5 What is the longest gaming session you have played in?

Have a great week!

Thanks, Troy.

d10-1 That's a hard one. I seem to put a fair bit of effort into a miniature which, when finished, is then liable to languish unlooked at for months or years.

As I really like Calpe Miniatures and have been doing a fair bit of work on them lately it's probably this guy (who is officially [microbadge-19802]:

That said, my favour is fleeting and it's likely to be something else in a week or two.

d10-2 I can spend a fair bit of time on individual miniatures, but paint only when time allows, so I think the most time I would have spend on one individual miniature in total would have been around five hours.

I note that some top-notch painters advise that they can spend up to 140 hours and a single miniature.

d10-3 Actually, the basing does not take that long and I now more-or-less have it down to a fine art so I can whizz through a dozen miniatures in an hour long session.

I have a box of all the basing materials I use so it's a pretty streamlined process.

d10-4 I love to play Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game with my wife, but she prefers euros (and has a weird and inexplicable bias against zombies) so we don't play it too often. My sister hates just about all games, but likes Coloretto. My mother likes Carcassonne and Jenseits von Theben. Anything with dice works well for the lad!

d10-5 The most recent long session was with a former flatmate when we decided to play Paths of Glory after work and only took a break at 3.00am - and then proceeded to stayup another half hour up to analyse the situation on the gameboard. It was hard fronting up to work the next morning and I was even 'busted' dozing through a meeting in the afternoon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gamer72 wrote:

Congratulations Muz, have a good week. Who's that on your avatar ?

Thanks, Ian.

My avatar is a 28mm miniature of an Austrian infantry officer of the Seven Years War.

It's from Crusader Miniatures and I painted it myself. He's painted as being a member of Infantry Regiment "Hoch und Deutschmeister" - one of the better "German" (as opposed to Hungarian) regiments of the period.

I tend to play Austria or Austria-Hungary in a lot of games so this seems like a good avatar to have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy
United States
Los Osos
California
flag msg tools
This overtext is far more interesting than I am.
badge
One die to rule them all.
mbmbmbmbmb
muzfish4 wrote:
1nf1n1ty wrote:
Congratulations Muz!

It has been great getting to see your stuff over in the painting contest.

A few questions for you:

d10-1 What is your favorite miniature that you have painted?

d10-2What is the most time you have spent on a miniature?

d10-3 How much time do you spend basing versus painting? (you have amazing basing skills)

d10-4 What is your favorite game to play with each of your family members?

d10-5 What is the longest gaming session you have played in?

Have a great week!

Thanks, Troy.

d10-1 That's a hard one. I seem to put a fair bit of effort into a miniature which, when finished, is then liable to languish unlooked at for months or years.

As I really like Calpe Miniatures and have been doing a fair bit of work on them lately it's probably this guy (who is officially [microbadge-19802]:

That said, my favour is fleeting and it's likely to be something else in a week or two.

d10-2 I can spend a fair bit of time on individual miniatures, but paint only when time allows, so I think the most time I would have spend on one individual miniature in total would have been around five hours.

I note that some top-notch painters advise that they can spend up to 140 hours and a single miniature.

d10-3 Actually, the basing does not take that long and I now more-or-less have it down to a fine art so I can whizz through a dozen miniatures in an hour long session.

I have a box of all the basing materials I use so it's a pretty streamlined process.

d10-4 I love to play Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game with my wife, but she prefers euros (and has a weird and inexplicable bias against zombies) so we don't play it too often. My sister hates just about all games, but likes Coloretto. My mother likes Carcassonne and Jenseits von Theben. Anything with dice works well for the lad!

d10-5 The most recent long session was with a former flatmate when we decided to play Paths of Glory after work and only took a break at 3.00am - and then proceeded to stayup another half hour up to analyse the situation on the gameboard. It was hard fronting up to work the next morning and I was even 'busted' dozing through a meeting in the afternoon.

Thanks for the answers. I think that guy looks great too! Have a great week! I may stop in to ask you more later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SimGuy wrote:
Andreas: Good job keeping our horizons broadened.

CONGRATULATIONS! to Muz Fish.

Enjoy your week!

It's been my experience that a gamer that is familiar with Grant and Featherstone is probably 40-ish.

Either you are older than your bio reads (recent marriage, recent child), or you've packed a lot of gaming into your time. Did we marry late in life?

If so, are your gaming priorities and habits suffering much disruption due to familial obligations? (I warned my future wife about my gaming, and made sure she understood how important it was to me before we tied the knot - over 30 years ago)

Thanks, mate.

You are pretty much spot on with the age. I started miniatures gaming as a ten or eleven year old (anyone remember the old strip minifigs?) and have kept it up off-and-on ever since.

Before I gave up on Games Workshop Ltd. I remember reading somewhere in an issue of Wargames Illustrated that Charge! or How to Play War Games had been reprinted and GW made a bulk order for their younger staff to familiarise them with the origins of wargames.

I suppose I have married and come to parenthood a bit late, but a lot of parents I see about the place are of a comparable age. In my wife's mothers group there was only one mother in her 20s. the rest were all in their 30s or 40s.

Yes, gaming has taken a back seat to family of late. So much so that I felt obligated to purchase this microbadge - mb. That said. my wife is a pretty good sport and I can nip away on the occasional evening for a gaming session. Not too long ago we hosted a gaming session in Canberra and she provided home-made Chinese dumplings for the dozen or so attendees.

My main balancing act with leisure time is gaming and cricket. As cricket is seasonal (summer) and I'll be able to game well into my dotage but not play cricket I usually prioritise my leisure to allow me to play cricket whenever time allows and gaming is second on the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Muz! Well deserved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
Congratulations Muzfish!

1) Truth or beauty?
2) Speed or precision?
3) Justice or mercy?
4) Steadfast or flexible?
5) Cynicism or naivete?

Thanks mate.

1) Truth - objective not subjective
2) Precision - get it right is more important than get it fast
3) Justice - Level playing field for all with each issue decided on their merits
4) Flexible - there is more in heaven and earth than is dreamt of in your philosophy so need flexibility to deal with extraordinary circumstances
5) Cynicism - Professional bureaucrat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Edgerton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Muz Fish!
Have fun with your week of fame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, it finally happened - a GEEK OF THE WEEK that I actually KNOW IN REAL LIFE!!!! And that I've actually PLAYED GAMES WITH!!!!

thumbsup

Congratulations Murray, brilliant choice Andreas.

Quote:
I am attracted to the idea of monster wargames, but just do not have the opportunity to play them I'd like to try World in Flames or Empires in Arms just to give one of these huge, absorbing games a go.

Mate, why didn't you tell me this when I was in Canberra?!?!

Okay some other questions.

What is your favorite period of history to read about, and why?

What did you study at uni?

What is your favorite knocking shop in Fyshwick, and why? (Oh, very nice, that bit about having to visit them for work, I'll have to remember that.)*

When are you going to visit the USA?

Do you prefer a flat white or a good pavlova?**

Spoiler (click to reveal)
For the record, this is a joke. I have no experience with knocking shops, though I love that phrase and I always thought it would be cool to be the piano player in a bordello.

For the record, this is about coffee and desserts, not anything disgusting. Get your mind out of the gutter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cedro Gomes
Brazil
Aguas Claras
DF
flag msg tools
Pinky: "Gee Brain what are we gonna do tonight ?" Brain: "The same thing we do everynight Pinky. Try to take over the world !"
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations !!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fehr
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Hi there! Follow my gaming exploits on Twitter (fehrmeister)
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Muz Fish! Have an awesome week!

Here are my questions for you:
- What are the top 3 games you have not played yet that you would like to try if given the chance?
- What is your favorite gaming experience while playing Twilight Struggle? In other words, what's a summary of what happened in your most memorable or favorite game of Twilight Struggle?
- If you were given one million dollars that you had to spend in the next week, and couldn't give any of it to anyone else, what would you spend it on?
- Do you ever read historical fiction? If so, what is your favorite book in this genre?
- How many books have you read in the last year?
- What is the next book that you will probably read?

All the best!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hungadunga wrote:
Congratulations!

Care to share your horrible experience with Diplomacy?

Thanks, I was delighted to see you were GoTW a little while ago and am honoured to join such august company.

How'd you know I had a bad experience with Diplomacy? Answer: everyone has had a bad experience with Diplomacy.

My worst one was probably when I was about 15 or 16 and had my house to myself for a weekend so I organised a game with my little mates. I managed to get 7 players to the table so I was pretty happy about that.

I was Austria-Hungary.

Within the first hour or so I had been eliminated after Turkey and Russia teamed up to roll me (with Germany coming in on the kill too). Less than impressed, I was stuck waiting around for the next five or so hours when the game finally concluded.

Being teenaged boys the mockery was merciless and I was barred from the room after I had been eliminated. I think Italy joined me after a couple of hours and we left them to it and went swimming.

Not too horrible, but being booted out of the game (and the game room) so early was a bit of a shock and something less than pleasant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Muz Fish - a worthy choice for GOTW to be sure! Have fun this week! If I think of a suitably obscure question, I'll be sure to come back and ask it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the kind words, Steve.

1 Canberra, Canberra, Canberra. So much to love. I find that life in the ACT offers so much and asks so little in return.

Actually, being 10 minutes door-to-door from home to work is great. In Sydney a 60 minute each-way commute is considered quite good, so finishing work at 5.30 and being home before 6.00 really makes a huge difference in the quality of life I enjoy there.

2 I am not a huge fan of the winters. A few years ago I would have said 'drought' but we seem to be doing okay for that so far.

3 I don't see any Wargames magazines at my newsagent. I do, however, subscribe to Wargames Illustrated despite having little to no interest in Flames of War: The World War II Miniatures Game . I like the painting and some of the article. I got a lot of use out of the issue with Franco Prussian war and Black Powder; so much so that I wrote a session report: Battle of Colombey 1870 - Franco Prussian War

Some time ago I subscribed to White Dwarf, (mainly to get a limited edition Eldar miniature) but as I lost interest in WHFB/40K and it became even more a journal full of ads than before (and local Australian content was axed) I gave up on WD and took up WI.

There are a number of good magazines about the place and I am always interested to have a look at the Spanish publication Wargames, Soldier and Strategy and miss publications like Battlegames or Practical Wargamer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
muzfish4 wrote:
Hungadunga wrote:
Congratulations!

Care to share your horrible experience with Diplomacy?

Thanks, I was delighted to see you were GoTW a little while ago and am honoured to join such august company.

How'd you know I had a bad experience with Diplomacy? Answer: everyone has had a bad experience with Diplomacy.

My worst one was probably when I was about 15 or 16 and had my house to myself for a weekend so I organised a game with my little mates. I managed to get 7 players to the table so I was pretty happy about that.

I was Austria-Hungary.

Within the first hour or so I had been eliminated after Turkey and Russia teamed up to roll me (with Germany coming in on the kill too). Less than impressed, I was stuck waiting around for the next five or so hours when the game finally concluded.

Being teenaged boys the mockery was merciless and I was barred from the room after I had been eliminated. I think Italy joined me after a couple of hours and we left them to it and went swimming.

Not too horrible, but being booted out of the game (and the game room) so early was a bit of a shock and something less than pleasant.

It's extremely rare to join august company in November.

I checked out your game collection and saw your note about Diplomacy! You were playing with a bunch of jerks. I honestly don't think that very many people actually lose friends over the game. I always play that first player that gets kicked out becomes Game Master.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueMountain wrote:
I miss our lunch time gaming sessions.... it was not long after i made a new year's resolution to play more board games that I discovered that the chap sitting a few bays away was a keen and enthusiastic gamer. Lunches became much better after that.

Congrats on becoming geek of the week. .. have you shared the news with your family?

Love the brothel question!!

Thanks, mate. Lunchtime games were the highlight of work most days.

Thanks for introducing me to some great little games like Mr. Jack Pocket, Quoridor, Parade and Pylos!

I have shared this news with my family who were less than effusive. I may reconsider putting it as the headliner on my CV.... blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
turtleback wrote:
Congrats Muz! Well deserved.

Thanks, Dave.

I am really pleased that Cerith got your monthly competition up and running again. Hope to see you there soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Hey, it finally happened - a GEEK OF THE WEEK that I actually KNOW IN REAL LIFE!!!! And that I've actually PLAYED GAMES WITH!!!!

thumbsup

Congratulations Murray, brilliant choice Andreas.

Quote:
I am attracted to the idea of monster wargames, but just do not have the opportunity to play them I'd like to try World in Flames or Empires in Arms just to give one of these huge, absorbing games a go.

Mate, why didn't you tell me this when I was in Canberra?!?!

Okay some other questions.

What is your favorite period of history to read about, and why?

What did you study at uni?

What is your favorite knocking shop in Fyshwick, and why? (Oh, very nice, that bit about having to visit them for work, I'll have to remember that.)*

When are you going to visit the USA?

Do you prefer a flat white or a good pavlova?**

For the record, this is a joke. I have no experience with knocking shops, though I love that phrase and I always thought it would be cool to be the piano player in a bordello.

For the record, this is about coffee and deserts, not anything disgusting. Get your mind out of the gutter.

Thanks, Wendell! I was delighted to have met you and thanks to you I enjoyed some great gaming experiences on the table of honour.

I could never commit to a monster wargame at the time and I'd rather do something properly than halfway.

Besides, I enjoyed our games of Warriors of God, España 1936 and A Game of Thrones (first edition) (amongst others) that played to a result in an evening.

I find I am interested in most periods so I guess the ones I like to read most about are the ones that I don't know much about.

At uni it was Classics and Ancient History. As I went on I tended to specialise in the Roman military with a sideline in early christianity. The theses I wrote were on the centurionate (more soldier and civilian than on the battlefield) and the Roman occupation of Judea using both classical was well as rabbinical sources.

I don't want to (maybe) give away and answers, so I'll just say that I have no real favourites as they seem to come and go.

Mate, I would love to visit the USA, but that won't be for a little while. Most of my travel will be Asia-centric in the next few years. I do, however, have this crazy idea of using my long service leave (when it rolls around) to take a driving holiday around the USA with the family. Needless to say, I'll look you up, if you're not posted somewhere else.

The 'flat white' is my coffee of choice; I find the pavlova a bit too sweet for my tastes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fehrmeister wrote:
Congrats Muz Fish! Have an awesome week!

Here are my questions for you:
- What are the top 3 games you have not played yet that you would like to try if given the chance?
- What is your favorite gaming experience while playing Twilight Struggle? In other words, what's a summary of what happened in your most memorable or favorite game of Twilight Struggle?
- If you were given one million dollars that you had to spend in the next week, and couldn't give any of it to anyone else, what would you spend it on?
- Do you ever read historical fiction? If so, what is your favorite book in this genre?
- How many books have you read in the last year?
- What is the next book that you will probably read?

All the best!

Thank you, James.

1 I've spoken about my secret need for monster wargames, so I'll not include them in this reply.

There are plenty of games I'd like to try, here are three on the list:

Gladiator: Deadly Arena Combat in Ancient Rome. Gladiators are great subject to paint and this game has some pretty good reviews. I learnt about this new (2011) game on this fantastic geeklist - Roman Gladiators

A Most Dangerous Time: Japan in Chaos, 1570-1584. I have this one at home and am yet to find the time to properly read the rules.

Zombie State: Diplomacy of the Dead. Based on the mixed reviews, I'd like to try this one before I buy it as I find the theme to be really appealing.

2 I have played plenty of close games of Twilight Struggle but one game that stands out was where I was the Soviet Union and was really getting hammered everywhere except the Middle East and Africa. On turn nine I drew the "Warsaw Pact formed" card that was still in the mix as it had always been played (by me) for points.

I decided to try to sucker my opponent and didn't match his point build-up in Europe when he expanded into eastern Europe with one of the Poland cards.

At the beginning of turn ten I played Chernobyl on myself in Eurpoe and He couldn't believe his luck as he poured four-card after four-card into Poland, East Germany and even Hungary and Finland. he also took France and looked ready to take the auto-win.

While this was going on I sneakily staged coupe in Central America to take Mexico, fought back to parity in Asia and South America and grabbed a bunch of one-pointers in Africa.

My final move was to play "Warsaw Pact" and announce that I would remove all US influence in Poland, East Germany, Finland and Hungary.

His face dropped.

I took the game on points while apologising for my 'sleazy' trick.

3 First answer here is real estate. I'd get rid of any mortgages associated with my family, book a nice holiday somewhere and go on a game, book and miniature shopping splure.

4 I do read a lot of historical fiction,mainly in the detective genre. I like Lindsay Davis' Falco series, Steven Saylor's Roma sub Rosa series and John Maddox Roberts' SPQR series. I also have a fondness for Laura Joh Rowlands' Sano Ichiro series despite some of the silly supernatural element she incorporates into her writing.

5 I am not sure. If you could all the kiddies books I have read to my son I would imagine that the number is somewhere in the grillions.

6 In my spare time I have been reading Harry Turtledove's Southern Victory series of trilogies. They are an alternative history series of novels set with the South winning the ACW and then being part of the Quadruple Entente while the USA allies with the Central Powers. I have recently finished the last of the Great War trilogy and look forward to starting the American Empire trilogy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hungadunga wrote:

It's extremely rare to join august company in November.

I checked out your game collection and saw your note about Diplomacy! You were playing with a bunch of jerks. I honestly don't think that very many people actually lose friends over the game. I always play that first player that gets kicked out becomes Game Master.

I see this as a rare and special November!

I guess, being teenaged boys, we were all jerks. I was still chums with those guys throughout my school years after that Diplomacy game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon "that sci-fi guy" AKA tiggers
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Congrats Aussie!

5vp What's your favourite Euro, and why?

zombie What's the longest game you've ever played?

cinnamon What's your favourite OOP game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tiggers wrote:
Congrats Aussie!

5vp What's your favourite Euro, and why?

zombie What's the longest game you've ever played?

cinnamon What's your favourite OOP game?

Thanks ,mate.

5vp Despite being a miniature painting, wargaming, heart-of-trash kind of guy, I actually like a lot of euros.

The one that I like the most, and get the most play out of is Agricola my wife really likes it too and most of our games are pretty close. I have a large dining table and can have Agricola set out at one end and we can eat and live off the other end.

zombie As a youngster during school holidays I played in a few multi-day sessions of Axis & Allies. The most recent long game I have played would probably be Paths of Glory.

cinnamonclove Game that I have played - Kremlin

cinnamonpepper Game that I haven't (yet) played - Fire in the Sky: The Great Pacific War 1941-1945
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.