BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Community » Geek of the Week

Subject: Geek of the Week #321 - muzfish4 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andreas Johansson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
I spent 200 GG and all I got was this lousy overtext!
badge
I spent 200 GG and all I got was this lousy overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
muzfish4 wrote:

cinnamonpepper Game that I haven't (yet) played - Fire in the Sky: The Great Pacific War 1941-1945

As I was praising this one in my GotW thread, I guess I'll pop up here to encourage you to get it. Maybe you sell your soul to the infernal powers or something?

Another question: which is your favourite period for wargaming? Answer separately for minis and hex'n'counter if it makes a difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Always happy to congratulate a fellow Australian...a couple of questions (3 actually)...

1.I've heard Canberra described thus "..a good sheep paddock ruined!"..do you agree?...

2.Do you agree with this statement?..."The best view of Canberra can be had on the road to Bungendore in the rear vision mirror of your car."..

3.Do you think Canberra would benefit from an invasion of Radioactive Alien Spider Monsters from the Crab Nebula particularly when Parliament is sitting?...

...seriously though congratulations on being Geek of the Week...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orcoteuthis wrote:
muzfish4 wrote:

cinnamonpepper Game that I haven't (yet) played - Fire in the Sky: The Great Pacific War 1941-1945

As I was praising this one in my GotW thread, I guess I'll pop up here to encourage you to get it. Maybe you sell your soul to the infernal powers or something?

Another question: which is your favourite period for wargaming? Answer separately for minis and hex'n'counter if it makes a difference.

Ah, yes. One day it will be mine.

I like the spectacle of the horse and musket games so anywhere between 1700 to 1900 is a favourite period.

Curiously, the only ancients I play are with De Bellis Antiquitatis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
The Turtle Moves.
badge
Give a man fire and he's warm for the day. Set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Muz. Enjoy your week of fame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Atraxrobustus wrote:
Always happy to congratulate a fellow Australian...a couple of questions (3 actually)...

1.I've heard Canberra described thus "..a good sheep paddock ruined!"..do you agree?...

2.Do you agree with this statement?..."The best view of Canberra can be had on the road to Bungendore in the rear vision mirror of your car."..

3.Do you think Canberra would benefit from an invasion of Radioactive Alien Spider Monsters from the Crab Nebula particularly when Parliament is sitting?...

Thanks for the good wishes, Steve.

A One thing Australia is not short of is sheep paddocks, so no, not really. After all, the capital had to go somewhere and the are passages in the Australian Constitution specifying where it can and can't be. I would much prefer it to be on the coast, but to paraphrase Col Kilgore "Henry Parkes don't surf".

B Well, Bungendore is a nice little town and there are a few rather fun wineries on the way, so the view to the front is not bad. As for the best view in Canberra, I tend to think that it's found on my deck with the garden doing well and the little guy running around the backyard and having a great time doing it.

C I would much prefer zombies to radioactive spiders, but if such any such event could curtail some of the more painful elements of Senate Estimates then I can see there are both pros and cons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
muzfish4 wrote:
Atraxrobustus wrote:

Thanks for the good wishes, Steve.

A One thing Australia is not short of is sheep paddocks, so no, not really. After all, the capital had to go somewhere and the are passages in the Australian Constitution specifying where it can and can't be. I would much prefer it to be on the coast, but to paraphrase Col Kilgore "Henry Parkes don't surf".

B Well, Bungendore is a nice little town and there are a few rather fun wineries on the way, so the view to the front is not bad. As for the best view in Canberra, I tend to think that it's found on my deck with the garden doing well and the little guy running around the backyard and having a great time doing it.

C I would much prefer zombies to radioactive spiders, but if such any such event could curtail some of the more painful elements of Senate Estimates then I can see there are both pros and cons.

All answers quite satisfactory!...go to the top of the class...congrats again..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Svetlana
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
Ich will!
badge
In the confusion and the aftermath you are my signal fire. Hold me close, 'cause I need you to guide me to safety. The only resolution and the only joy is the faint spark of forgiveness in your eyes, I don't want to wait forever...
mb
Congratulations, Muz!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panda Z
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

¡Felicidades Señor!

I hope we can catch up before your trip. Anyway we keep in touch.

Now a few questions:

What would be you dream miniature that you would like to paint?
What's your worst eurogame experience?
Fried rice or Rissotto?

Cheers!

cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Hogan
Australia
Wamboin
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Muz! Well deserved. Now I can say that I've lived with a GotW.

I certainly enjoyed the many evenings of gaming (not least the game of PoG that finished well after 2am on a school night, followed by an extended post-game analysis). Although I still can't believe that in a year and a half we never played Shanghai Trader.

For my question, which cricketer would you say you've modelled yourself on?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Thomas
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations! Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Murray, another question - have you ever played a game via Vassal?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cedro Gomes
Brazil
Aguas Claras
DF
flag msg tools
Pinky: "Gee Brain what are we gonna do tonight ?" Brain: "The same thing we do everynight Pinky. Try to take over the world !"
mbmbmbmbmb
My questions:

d10-0 How did you meet BGG ?

d10-1 What are the qualities of a good player ?

d10-2 What is your favorite ABSTRACT GAME ?

d10-3 Can you describe yourself as a gammer ?

d10-4 How did people make ice before freezers ?

d10-5 Why is a boxing ring square ?

d10-6 Why is an error on a computer called a bug ?

Enjoy your week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Forbeck
United States
Beloit
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Congratulations, Muz! I feel privileged to share the week with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammer Man
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Muz Fish, enjoy your week!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
muzfish4 wrote:
Hungadunga wrote:

It's extremely rare to join august company in November.

I checked out your game collection and saw your note about Diplomacy! You were playing with a bunch of jerks. I honestly don't think that very many people actually lose friends over the game. I always play that first player that gets kicked out becomes Game Master.

I see this as a rare and special November!

I guess, being teenaged boys, we were all jerks. I was still chums with those guys throughout my school years after that Diplomacy game.

Thanks, Muzfish!

I'm on this lonely crusade to show people that this game is not the friendship breaker that some make it out to be!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Roy
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
27 World Series titles and counting!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Fish man, enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Herron
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Never play block wargames with a dentist, they have those little mirrors to peek behind the block.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Muz!

d10-1What is your favourite colour when playing a boardgame?
d10-2Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter?
d10-3Do you play an instrument? If yes, which one and for how long already?
d10-4Having fun?
d10-5What would have been your name if your parents didn't give you the name you have?
d10-6What is your favourite snack?
d10-7 What is your favourite day of the week?
d10-8What is your favourite time of day?
d10-9 What character would you be in a Star Trek setting?
d10-1d10-0 What makes you "tick" (inspires you, why do you get up in the morning)?
d10-1d10-1 What is your life-long dream?

Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amiguero wrote:

¡Felicidades Señor!

I hope we can catch up before your trip. Anyway we keep in touch.

Now a few questions:

What would be you dream miniature that you would like to paint?
What's your worst eurogame experience?
Fried rice or Rissotto?

Cheers!

cool

Thanks, Rene!

I am not sure about this one. I like all sorts of miniatures but prefer the ones with skilled sculpting and great originality (even if it is a familiar subject). I'd also like to paint something there is the at least remote prospect of me using.

I am eyeing my next major (for me) miniature purchase from a company called Hinterland Miniatures who produce a delightful range of 28mm German female hussars for the late C19th - 1914. All good stuff for Fear and Faith or Rugged Adventures - and they do zombified versions of the Hussars!

Even if you have no interest in miniatures, it's well worth having a quick look at Hinterland to admire the force of imagination behind the enterprise and to see the miniatures themselves. Be sure to read the company blog where the chap who runs it describes getting his girlfriend to model for photos for the sculptor:

http://hinterlandminiatures.weebly.com/

The sort of Eurogames I don't go for are one with the programed movement thing going on, like RoboRally or even, to a lesser extent, Space Alert. I remember playing one game of RoboRallywhere everything I did was 'wrong' and I ended up going nowhere fast. It was both dull and dispiriting.

It would have to be fried rice, though I am partial to the occasional rissotto.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cubillas wrote:
Congratulations Muz! Well deserved. Now I can say that I've lived with a GotW.

I certainly enjoyed the many evenings of gaming (not least the game of PoG that finished well after 2am on a school night, followed by an extended post-game analysis). Although I still can't believe that in a year and a half we never played Shanghai Trader.

For my question, which cricketer would you say you've modelled yourself on?

Thanks, Terry. Yes, it was your interest in my game collection (rather than around details around rent, bill and suchlike) that got you over the line when we had to decide on a new house mate - and what a good decision it was too!

We sure did have plenty of good after work gaming. Be it a couple of sessions of 1960: The Making of the President or Twilight Struggle or a quick round of Race for the Galaxy, always a good way to spend the evening.

As for cricketers, I'd like to be able to say it was someone like Keith Miller or Arthur Morris, but I'm afraid that it's more like Chris Tavare - without the same level of success.

That said, last time I played I managed to pick up a golden duck slashing at a wide ball outside off. Maybe there is something to putting a bit of value on one's wicket.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Murray, another question - have you ever played a game via Vassal?

No. I don''t really play games on the computer. I figure that I spend enough time staring at a screen during my working days that I don't want to spend more quality time with computers in my spare time (except BGG , of course).

I like the social interaction aspect of gaming so face-to-face gaming is my preferred option.

If I was ever sent somewhere remote I would investigate Vassal and other online gaming options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
Australia
Fitzroy North
Victoria
flag msg tools
"When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die."
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations.
I admire anyone who can paint a miniture and have it looking so amazing.
My attempts usually resemble sorry messes that I'm embarrassed to let other people see!
Enjoy your week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DanielCG wrote:
My questions:

d10-0 How did you meet BGG ?

I first found out about BGG through the a former housemate. This guy:

Terry Hogan
Australia
Wamboin
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Turns out he's also a cricket fan too, so we got along pretty well for the 12 or so months we shared.

DanielCG wrote:
d10-1 What are the qualities of a good player ?

Very good question. I guess a skilled player will be able to think several moves ahead and manipulate circumstances so that even if they are unlucky they still get some benefit (or minimise potential losses) while a good player will be a polite, cheerful and considerate opponent, especially with newer players.

I am fortunate that many of the people I regularly play with are both skilled and good.

DanielCG wrote:
d10-2 What is your favorite ABSTRACT GAME ?

Until I started my lunchtime gaming with
Blue Mountain
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I didn't play many abstracts as I am a big fan to theme. One abstract mr mountain introduced me to that I really enjoy is Quoridor.

DanielCG wrote:
d10-3 Can you describe yourself as a gammer ?

I am a bit of everything so maybe I can be described as a "Wargaming Ameritrasher who likes Euros and miniatures gaming". Either that or a butterfly who floats around but doesn't settle.

DanielCG wrote:
d10-4 How did people make ice before freezers ?

In Hongawa Mura in Kochi Prefecture in Japan there is an annual two-opart ice festival. In the first part people hike up the mountain to bring back blocks of ice which are then buried after being wrapped in straw. In summer the ice is then unwrapped and given to the local lord.

This festival is called the "Himuro Matsuri" (lit "ice room festival".

So long answer short, the ruling class got the plebs to work on ways to get them ice. The plebs did without.

DanielCG wrote:
d10-5 Why is a boxing ring square ?

The same reason the UFC "cage" is octagonal.

DanielCG wrote:
d10-6 Why is an error on a computer called a bug ?

Illnesses were (and still are) sometimes referred to as 'bugs'. An 'infected' computer is ill, hence the expression.

Enjoy your week.

Thanks, mate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hungadunga wrote:

I'm on this lonely crusade to show people that this game is not the friendship breaker that some make it out to be!

Good luck with that.

Not too long ago a chap at one of my regular game groups was trying to get a game of Diplomacy organised for the following Sunday.

It wasn't the game itself that put myself and several other of, but rather the time commitment.

One day I'll have the time for longer gaming, one day...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Narl wrote:
Congrats Muz!

d10-1What is your favourite colour when playing a boardgame?

No huge preferences. When I pay two player Race for the Galaxy with my wife (who likes red) I am usually either purple or turquoise just to make sure the cards get some use.

Narl wrote:
d10-2Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter?

Spring - time of rebirth and renewal. Also the start of the cricket season where a lifetime of failures and disappointments are forgotten in a surge of unwarranted optimism.

Narl wrote:
d10-3Do you play an instrument? If yes, which one and for how long already?

No musical talent here whatsoever.

Narl wrote:
d10-4Having fun?

Yes, it is very good fun and a very friendly environment.

Narl wrote:
d10-5What would have been your name if your parents didn't give you the name you have?

Not sure. Apparently my father was very taken with Murray Bridge in South Australia and kept it in mind when choosing a name, so maybe my second option would have been 'Bridge'... blush

Narl wrote:
d10-6What is your favourite snack?

I am trying to cut down on snacking, but am a big fan of Japanese takoyaki. It helps that I can't make this at home so it's a little treat when I am out and there is a takoyaki stand at a market or somewhere like that.

Narl wrote:
d10-7 What is your favourite day of the week?

Saturday or preferably the first day of a holiday long weekend.

Narl wrote:
d10-8What is your favourite time of day?

Afternoon or early evening.

Narl wrote:
d10-9 What character would you be in a Star Trek setting?

Not a huge trekkie, but based on my luck probably one of those guys in red shirts that seem to be cut down by the dozen.

Narl wrote:
d10-1d10-0 What makes you "tick" (inspires you, why do you get up in the morning)?

A little man with a loud voice letting us know that he is up so we should also be up.

Narl wrote:
d10-1d10-1 What is your life-long dream?

A happy and healthy family.

Narl wrote:
Enjoy your week!

Thanks, mate. It's all been very good so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.