Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: IP [+] chilling-effect [+] drama-llama [+] popcorn [+] [View All]
M. S.
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Bond8089 wrote:
Dude, if you contacted who you thought had the rights, and they said they did indeed have the rights, why would you contact the original designer of the game? If you want to throw out comparisons, why not throw out the Battles of Westeros game? It is NOT that much like battlelore, but they went out and licensed the mechanics, and even put the name on the box (with Richard Borgs name).

If I ran a publishing company and I contacted Hasbro I'd want to see legal proof that they owned the rights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gillette
United States
New Richmond
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bond8089 wrote:
The Fallen wrote:
Flightmaster wrote:
KenToad wrote:
[q="Flightmaster"]

Now I really want to play X-Wing, so I can judge for myself how it compares to Wings of War and whether that's more incestuous than Flash Duel and En Garde.

Ken,

First, I recommend you check out Wreckage, a game that FFG published before WoW was released, and something we developed for several years in the late 90's. Further, I would very much invite you to play X-Wing when released, as I find the notion of "incest" vis-a-vis WoW to be baseless. The two games share a genre (dog-fighting miniatures), to which I hope you agree there is no proprietary claim. Similarly, we do not claim "Eclipse" is an infringement of our "Twilight Imperium" on the basis that the two share a common concept and theme (great game, Eclipse, BTW, and a great addition to the genre).

I, and FFG, hold designers and their proprietary ideas in the highest regard, and we have decades long relationships with dozens of the finest designers in the world. I think they're important, and I will speak to defend them.

On the matter of this game, I consider Reiner a friend, and I personally think there's an issue here, so I will speak out when he cannot (due to the obvious bias). I think you'll agree these are not merely two games sharing the "fencing genre".

In this case, it is my opinion that both the publisher of En Garde (Gryphon) and Reiner is injured. I think it is in interest of the gaming public to understand that, even if some may disagree with me.

If I create special powers for Monopoly tokens, I would argue that I've made an expansion (or a variant) to an existing product, not that I made a new game.

From the response here, I think it is clear a license was not taken on En Garde. I would submit that this was, and remains, the correct thing to do. There is no reason why this shouldn't be a win-win for the parties, and it is not too late.

Disclaimer: I have no stake in En Garde, Gryphon, or Reiner Knizia's financial upsides or downsides. I express this as a personal opinion.

cP
FFG

This is a much more reasoned response (not saying I agree though). Honestly, your first post was a bit crass.

One question though, and I mean this in an entirely serious and nonjudgmental way. Given the bold [emphasis mine] passage above, why didn't FFG contact Hamblin when you decided to remake Merchants of Venus? It seems that this would have been the prudent thing to do even if there was no reason to believe that another company was working on the same game.

Dude, if you contacted who you thought had the rights, and they said they did indeed have the rights, why would you contact the original designer of the game? If you want to throw out comparisons, why not throw out the Battles of Westeros game? It is NOT that much like battlelore, but they went out and licensed the mechanics, and even put the name on the box (with Richard Borgs name).

I never said he had a responsibility to contact the original designer, but given his supposed respect of game designers, it seems a bit out of place to be throwing stones at Sirlin Games for have a game that shares a similar mechanic to another game while simultaneously having zero contact with another designer who's much sought after grail game you are remaking. Bonus points for complaining about the second edition of the game.

Edit: I do not want to imply that FFG acted in bad faith when licensing the rights from Hasbro either, as I have no reason to believe that they did. This is merely a curious observation about an otherwise upstanding company that I love.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Obermeyer
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
I am vengeance. I am the night. I am BATMAN!
mbmbmbmbmb
red black wrote:
Bond8089 wrote:

If I ran a publishing company and I contacted Hasbro I'd want to see legal proof that they owned the rights.

They probably had it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Bond8089 wrote:
red black wrote:
Bond8089 wrote:

They probably had it...

Apparently so does Hamblen. If neither party can clearly establish they own the rights then why not talk to both parties to work something out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darksurtur
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flightmaster wrote:

I, and FFG, hold designers and their proprietary ideas in the highest regard, and we have decades long relationships with dozens of the finest designers in the world. I think they're important, and I will speak to defend them.

On the matter of this game, I consider Reiner a friend, and I personally think there's an issue here, so I will speak out when he cannot (due to the obvious bias). I think you'll agree these are not merely two games sharing the "fencing genre".

In this case, it is my opinion that both the publisher of En Garde (Gryphon) and Reiner is injured. I think it is in interest of the gaming public to understand that, even if some may disagree with me.

If I create special powers for Monopoly tokens, I would argue that I've made an expansion (or a variant) to an existing product, not that I made a new game.

From the response here, I think it is clear a license was not taken on En Garde. I would submit that this was, and remains, the correct thing to do. There is no reason why this shouldn't be a win-win for the parties, and it is not too late.

Disclaimer: I have no stake in En Garde, Gryphon, or Reiner Knizia's financial upsides or downsides. I express this as a personal opinion.

cP
FFG

I appreciate you articulating your concerns in more detail than above, but I am still confused on what the point of posting here was. You saw what you think is infringement. You implied you notified the possibly aggrieved parties. It is their role, and their responsibility, to act if they see a legitimate reason for doing so. The fact that they haven't yet speaks volumes. Posting here and implying you are the voice of a party that has no ability to speak (they do) is not only comes off as very passive aggressive and catty, in my opinion it is not even particularly appropriate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian T. Petersen
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The Fallen wrote:
Flightmaster wrote:
KenToad wrote:
[q="Flightmaster"]

Now I really want to play X-Wing, so I can judge for myself how it compares to Wings of War and whether that's more incestuous than Flash Duel and En Garde.

Ken,

First, I recommend you check out Wreckage, a game that FFG published before WoW was released, and something we developed for several years in the late 90's. Further, I would very much invite you to play X-Wing when released, as I find the notion of "incest" vis-a-vis WoW to be baseless. The two games share a genre (dog-fighting miniatures), to which I hope you agree there is no proprietary claim. Similarly, we do not claim "Eclipse" is an infringement of our "Twilight Imperium" on the basis that the two share a common concept and theme (great game, Eclipse, BTW, and a great addition to the genre).

cP
FFG

Given the bold [emphasis mine] passage above, why didn't FFG contact Hamblin when you decided to remake Merchants of Venus?

We had no reason to suspect he was not aware of our work. In hindsight, obviously we should have, but our approvals and communication was through the entity which licensed us the game and TM.

cP
FFG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Harrison
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.gamesonthebrain.com
badge
www.gamesonthebrain.com
Flightmaster wrote:

Yet surely you'd agree that at some point an idea can be expanded and transformed so much that it bears little resemblance to the original idea, such that it can rightfully be called a new game.

That determination is a subjective one, and it's rarely black and white. In this case, you clearly believe Flash Duel is little more than an expansion of En Garde, and David does not, so who's right? Without something like a patent, who knows?

And speaking of patents and proprietary rights, I'm curious... has FFG has licensed the patented tapping mechanic from WotC?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian T. Petersen
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
darksurtur wrote:
Flightmaster wrote:

cP
FFG

I appreciate you articulating your concerns in more detail than above, but I am still confused on what the point of posting here was. You saw what you think is infringement. You implied you notified the possibly aggrieved parties. It is their role, and their responsibility, to act if they see a legitimate reason for doing so. The fact that they haven't yet speaks volumes. Posting here and implying you are the voice of a party that has no ability to speak (they do) is not only comes off as very passive aggressive and catty, in my opinion it is not even particularly appropriate.

While I agree with your assessment generally, I believe this is the interest of the injured parties. Had they voiced opinion on the subject, they would have been seen as defensive and biased. If Gryphon and Knizia believe my concern to be misplaced, I would be happy to apologize to them. There are times, however, in the interest of what I value in our industry, when silence is the greater sin. I'm not thrilled to seem "catty". In this case, however, I'll take the lumps (and don't fault you for giving them).

cP
FFG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark crane
Qatar
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darksurtur
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flightmaster wrote:
darksurtur wrote:

While I agree with your assessment generally, I believe this is the interest of the injured parties. Had they voiced opinion on the subject, they would have been seen as defensive and biased. If Gryphon and Knizia believe my concern to be misplaced, I would be happy to apologize to them. There are times, however, in the interest of what I value in our industry, when silence is the greater sin. I'm not thrilled to seem "catty". In this case, however, I'll take the lumps (and don't fault you for giving them).

cP
FFG

By "voice," I don't mean here on BGG (because it seems unlikely you'll ever gain enough public support on a niche forum about a niche game to exert effective pressure on a game publisher). I mean court, which is the proper venue for handling infringement claims and defenses. Court also has real costs, and that means rights holders have to make real decisions about the strength of their case. In other words, it seems the other parties are aware of the game, but they have not filed a claim despite years of availability, which implies that they think the claim is not particularly strong. And I tend to believe them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gross
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Flightmaster wrote:
David,

I don't see Reiner's name anywhere on here, but I assume (or rather hope) this is a license of En Garde.

Christian
FFG

Have you actually played the game?

This is a serious question. I would really like to know if you actually played the game before deciding it was so close to En Garde that it needed to licensed. I get the impression that you're basing your premise on just the picture. I suspect that's why you haven't even attempted to address Sirlin's detailed post about the differences and similarity between the games. Because personally, I can't really imagine anyone playing both games and coming to the conclusion that you have. I find it more plausible that you simply reacted to a photo.

I am quite comfortable in saying that Ascension, Thunderstone, Nightfall, Throne Worlds, and other deck building games have more in common with Dominion than Flash Duel does with En Garde. I am equally comfortable in saying that Dr. Knizia's Blue Moon owes more to Magic the Gathering than Flash Duel does to En Garde (by a wide margin). I thought crediting Dr. Knizia with inspiration for the idea was a classy gesture, and correctly indicated the extent to which Flash Duel owes anything to En Garde.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gillette
United States
New Richmond
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flightmaster wrote:
The Fallen wrote:
Flightmaster wrote:
KenToad wrote:
[q="Flightmaster"]

Ken,

cP
FFG

Given the bold [emphasis mine] passage above, why didn't FFG contact Hamblin when you decided to remake Merchants of Venus?

We had no reason to suspect he was not aware of our work. In hindsight, obviously we should have, but our approvals and communication was through the entity which licensed us the game and TM.

cP
FFG

Thank you for the response and sorry for the derail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian T. Petersen
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
GamesOnTheBrain wrote:
Flightmaster wrote:

Yet surely you'd agree that at some point an idea can be expanded and transformed so much that it bears little resemblance to the original idea, such that it can rightfully be called a new game.

And speaking of patents and proprietary rights, I'm curious... has FFG has licensed the patented tapping mechanic from WotC?

No. Primarily because, despite common belief, WOTC does not have a patent on tapping. They have patent for a style of play of which the "tapping" is one of a number of claims. Many years ago, FFG had discussions with WOTC on this, and we did a full exploratory (and expensive) legal analysis on this issue, including a review on the prior-art on the matter. WOTC did not contest our written observation to them on the matter, nor was our request for other details on their patent case history provided. In other words, we did our full due diligence and communicated with WOTC in good faith on this issue (in 2002 I believe).

In our reading, they have a patent for a style of play that is embodied in Magic the Gathering (as manifested in play in correlation to the series of claims on that Patent), not for the obvious (i.e. as opposed to non-obvious, an important aspect in patents) changing the direction of a card as a means to imply effect. However, we would have gladly licensed the patent should we have wished to derive the style of play protected by their patent (i.e a game product that embodied the series of claims).

FFG takes licenses from game systems from their designers or rights-holders, giving them compensation for our use of their proprietary rights. I think our record shows this clearly, and that I can speak without a double-standard on this issue to defend Reiner and Gryphon.

I take it you think this issue is related to the "tapping patent"? I don't think that anyone (certainly not I) is claiming that Knizia has a proprietary claim to "moving a pawn on a track" (a tactile equivalent to a card "tap".) In this issue, I would point to a broad and direct derivation of the copyright in the rules of En Garde, and an unjust use of En Garde's accrued goodwill in the mind of the public.

This is not an easy area, and proprietary rights of others can be inadvertently violated. This is usually amicably and fairly resolved, however, as this issue could be, if David contacts Reiner.

It is one thing to stand on the shoulders of a giant, it is another to kick him in the knee and take his lunch.

cP
FFG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian T. Petersen
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
darksurtur wrote:
Flightmaster wrote:
darksurtur wrote:

cP
FFG

By "voice," I don't mean here on BGG (because it seems unlikely you'll ever gain enough public support on a niche forum about a niche game to exert effective pressure on a game publisher). I mean court, which is the proper venue for handling infringement claims and defenses. Court also has real costs, and that means rights holders have to make real decisions about the strength of their case. In other words, it seems the other parties are aware of the game, but they have not filed a claim despite years of availability, which implies that they think the claim is not particularly strong. And I tend to believe them.

I understand your point, but I think you underestimate the power of niche communities and the public discourse on BGG to change publisher behavior (speaking from personal experience).

Cheers.
cP
FFG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
wrote:
In this issue, I would point to a broad and direct derivation of the copyright in the rules of En Garde, and an unjust use of En Garde's accrued goodwill in the mind of the public.

Care to elaborate? Sirlin described how the games are nothing alike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Garcia
msg tools
As a consumer this looks like a non-issue. Games build on previous games, just as ideas build on previous ideas. I doubt Shadow Hunters had to license anything from Bang! guys. (Incidentally, Shadow Hunters is much more fun for me.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Garcia
msg tools
Flightmaster wrote:
In this issue, I would point to a broad and direct derivation of the copyright in the rules of En Garde, and an unjust use of En Garde's accrued goodwill in the mind of the public.

I think this is quite a strong claim, because it contradicts most of the things I have read online, such as

http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl108.html

"Once a game has been made public, nothing in the copyright law prevents others from developing another game based on similar principles."

My understanding of this is that nothing in the copyright law prevents others from developing another game based on similar principles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
Fayetteville
Tennessee (TN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
garcia1000 wrote:
Flightmaster wrote:

I think this is quite a strong claim, because it contradicts most of the things I have read online, such as

http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl108.html

"Once a game has been made public, nothing in the copyright law prevents others from developing another game based on similar principles."

My understanding of this is that nothing in the copyright law prevents others from developing another game based on similar principles.

When it comes to games, the only thing you can copyright apparently are rules (exact wording of rules, actually) and artwork. You can get patents for especially unique gameplay elements, I'm sure, but usually of something physical in nature.

David gives credit to Reiner in his rules for the inspiration. I hope X-Wing has a similar blurb devoted to Andrea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Gee
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andrewgr wrote:
Have you actually played the game? ... Because personally, I can't really imagine anyone playing both games and coming to the conclusion that you have. I find it more plausible that you simply reacted to a photo.

Flightmaster wrote:
On the matter of this game, I consider Reiner a friend, and I personally think there's an issue here, so I will speak out when he cannot (due to the obvious bias).

I also get the impression that you haven't played the game. You claim Reiner cannot speak due to an obvious bias, but you also say that you consider him a friend, your company publishes some of his games, and you likely haven't played Flash Duel either. Doesn't that make you approximately the second most biased person to determine whether a legal violation exists here?

Flightmaster wrote:
I think you'll agree these are not merely two games sharing the "fencing genre"...If I create special powers for Monopoly tokens, I would argue that I've made an expansion (or a variant) to an existing product, not that I made a new game.

If that analogy was appropriate, your concerns would make sense, but the designer of the game, as well as others on this forum have provided details explaining how that analogy is not appropriate. A game of monopoly with tokens that had special powers would still feel like playing Monopoly as nearly all of the rules details would be exactly the same. Considering the number of differences between Flash Duel and En Garde, it seems clear me that the similarities between them constitute no more than a mechanic (using number cards to move and attack on a 2 dimensional plane), and that even this mechanic has been adjusted in significant ways. The theme is not even the same, Flash Duel is not a fencing game as you seem to imply above. Obvious design effort has been put into the asymmetrical characters and detailed theme, and these are what determine the feel of a game of Flash Duel, not the mechanic taken from En Garde. As someone who has played both games, I argue that a reasonable analogy for En Garde and Flash Duel would be Dominion and Ascension. Ascension used the exact same deckbuilding mechanic, but changed some of the details of the rules, and added some creative twists.

GamesOnTheBrain wrote:

That determination is a subjective one, and it's rarely black and white.

I second this, and furthermore feel that it is a determination that would be much better made by a less biased individual. (Or at least one that has played both games).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ohbalto wrote:
Wow. Zing.

Since the WoW/X-Wing case keeps on being quoted, please let me very quickly give my point of view too. I think that it's more fair if you have both, and not just Christian's, on such a delicate matter that, as Tim whisely says, "it's rarely black and white."

I too look forward to play X-Wing when released to better judge. For the moment I must say that - according to what I see and read - to my eyes Wings of War

and X-Wing

seems quite far more similar to each other than any other dog-fighting miniatures game that I can think of, so they share IMHO quite more than just "a genre". Let's see what will be in the released box.

What's more important to my eyes, FFG has been the first to think that WoW's mechanics were original and new enough to be worth licensing by them. They contacted the rights owners of WoW to buy the game mechanics to be used in X-Wing, and they even offered to write
Quote:
Game Design By Andrea Angiolino and Pier Giorgio Paglia
on all packagings and manuals. They then decided to withdraw the offer and they now feel that they don't owe anything to WoW's authors, but I find difficult to see how the existence of Wreckage (yes, please study that game well too) or of any previous game might justify this change of mind.

Thanks to everybody.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kweku
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Christian, I love FFG and by extension love you but I think your attitude displayed here is bad for the industry, and I sincerely hope that the copyright laws others have posted are right and no court would agree with you, because the morals you are implying would stifle innovation or at least limit it to companies who had the connections or the capital to "license" simple ideas

David Sirlin had a good point when he said "Luckily for us all, the idea that a card with a 5 on it can both move a piece 5 spaces and attack a distance of 5 is not something that anyone has a monopoly on."

What's the difference between Flash Duel and any other game that uses simple mechanics from other games, really? For a recent example that's already been brought up, what about pretty much every deck building game?

Flash Duel DEFINITELY used a couple mechanics from En Garde. But I think that the difference here is, and the reason you are even taking issue with that is because En Garde is a bare-bones, basic game and those couple mechanics are basically all it consists of (thats not an insult)

Basically, it looks like 100% of the game was taken and simply added to. But to realize what's going on, you have to first recognize the simplicity of En Garde... that "100%" was just a few mechanics big

Also, it's easy for you to pick on Flash Duel unfairly simply because there haven't been enough similar games released for you to consider it a "genre"... kinda like how before there was a term for "First Person Shooter" there were only "Doom Clones"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Rules aside; the part about "an unjust use of En Garde's accrued goodwill in the mind of the public" certainly doesn't apply to my interest in Flash Duel. How would anyone argue that issue one way or the other in court?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark crane
Qatar
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
angiolillo wrote:
ohbalto wrote:
Wow. Zing.

Since the WoW/X-Wing case keeps on being quoted, please let me very quickly give my point of view too. I think that it's more fair if you have both, and not just Christian's, on such a delicate matter that, as Tim whisely says, "it's rarely black and white."

I too look forward to play X-Wing when released to better judge. For the moment I must say that - according to what I see and read - to my eyes Wings of War

and X-Wing

seems quite far more similar to each other than any other dog-fighting miniatures game that I can think of, so they share IMHO quite more than just "a genre". Let's see what will be in the released box.

What's more important to my eyes, FFG has been the first to think that WoW's mechanics were original and new enough to be worth licensing by them. They contacted the rights owners of WoW to buy the game mechanics to be used in X-Wing, and they even offered to write
Quote:
Game Design By Andrea Angiolino and Pier Giorgio Paglia
on all packagings and manuals. They then decided to withdraw the offer and they now feel that they don't owe anything to WoW's authors, but I find difficult to see how the existence of Wreckage (yes, please study that game well too) or of any previous game might justify this change of mind.

Thanks to everybody.

Oh my. This just keeps getting messier. I miss the good old days when we just argued about who owned Age of Steam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
msg tools
Wow this got a bit unpleasant. When I saw the train image I was just thinking train wreck instead of the intended derailed meaning. To me it seems the FFG ceo is acting more in bad faith than sirlin. Sirlin credited knizia for the idea in the previous game and this version even further separates itself from en garde. Seeing this makes me want to avoid any fantasy flight purchases.

Unfortunate because this looks to be the best vaule of any sirlin game yet. Yomi is $100 for the full game and the previous deluxe version of flash duel was about the same cost as this yet this has way more components. This may be my first sirlin games purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark crane
Qatar
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a representation of what will happen once the lawyers get involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.