ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like get this game, but concerns I have are that if I have to get expansions to be "REALLY" fun, then it'd likely be too much for me. I've played Pitch Car a few times, but they were with 1 or 2 exp mixed in, so I'm not sure how things are like with just the base game.

1) all expansions discounted go close to $200
However, I suppose if exp are recommended, it may not necessarily be ALL exp, in which case, one or 2 may not be so "bad".

2) too much space taken. I can manage just the base game, and perhaps one or 2 exp in my limited carry bags of games (as well all do, with boxes, crates, etc.)
Unlike traditional board games, and esp. card games, you can often combine the contents of multiple boxes into one box just fine. I don't think you can do that with a game like this.

3) gameplay and longevity. As far as longevity goes, I'm gonna take a wild guess that for my groups and I, this game may not get played enough to result in the base game being "stale". However, if this is one of those games that players beyond the hardcore category highly recommend getting exp for (esp. beyond one of them), then that'll also be a turnoff, due to circumstances described above. Stuff like "exp are better for the higher player range" are stuff I'm trying to get a feel for.

4) Is Pitch Car Mini a suitable alternative to cut costs and bag space?


Thanks in advance!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't answer most of your questions but I can respond regarding Pitchcar Mini. It works and is what I own, but after playing on the larger track, I wish I would have gone the larger Pitch Car route despite the space requirement. The space of the wider tracks is much preferable in my book.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Brune
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
HEY! That TICKLES!
mbmbmbmbmb
larryjrice wrote:
I can't answer most of your questions but I can respond regarding Pitchcar Mini. It works and is what I own, but after playing on the larger track, I wish I would have gone the larger Pitch Car route despite the space requirement. The space of the wider tracks is much preferable in my book.


2nd that from a full-size PitchCar owner. Glad I got the full-sized version and having played it, definitely wouldn't want to consider anything smaller.

I do have both expansions as well though.

If cost and space is super-critical maybe consider RoadZters instead?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Fowler
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
I can manage just the base game, and perhaps one or 2 exp in my limited carry bags of games
Weight will probably be more of a deciding factor on how much you can carry, rather than space. I have just the base game, and it is one of the heaviest games I own.

As for play without expansions, I really enjoy it... but I love racing games, and am also a fan of pool. The whole figuring out the best angle to bounce past my opponent element is what pulls me in.

I would really love to have the expansions, but I really don't want to spend that kind of cash on a single game. I would much rather use the money to buy a couple of other games on my wish list.

Todd
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gruumsh wrote:
larryjrice wrote:
I can't answer most of your questions but I can respond regarding Pitchcar Mini. It works and is what I own, but after playing on the larger track, I wish I would have gone the larger Pitch Car route despite the space requirement. The space of the wider tracks is much preferable in my book.


2nd that from a full-size PitchCar owner. Glad I got the full-sized version and having played it, definitely wouldn't want to consider anything smaller.

I do have both expansions as well though.

If cost and space is super-critical maybe consider RoadZters instead?
Not bad, although RoadZters only does up to 4. Another concern is that it looks like RoadZters takes more skill than Pitch Car. Specifically, the ball can do more fancy manuevers such as curve and double back, which looks like alot more difficult to get the basic idea of, as opposed top flicking the simpleton Pitch Car, wooden puck. It is cheaper though, which is always a plus


toddwf wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
I can manage just the base game, and perhaps one or 2 exp in my limited carry bags of games
Weight will probably be more of a deciding factor on how much you can carry, rather than space. I have just the base game, and it is one of the heaviest games I own.

As for play without expansions, I really enjoy it... but I love racing games, and am also a fan of pool. The whole figuring out the best angle to bounce past my opponent element is what pulls me in.

I would really love to have the expansions, but I really don't want to spend that kind of cash on a single game. I would much rather use the money to buy a couple of other games on my wish list.

Todd
$$ is certainly right up there among my concerns, but the weight of it all makes it double whammy in my books. I'd rather just get any lighter/more compact game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Thomas
United States
Langhorne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
"I will take love wherever I find it, and offer it to everyone who will take it. Seek knowledge from those wiser, and teach those who wish to learn." -Duane Allman
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend at least getting the first expansion. The jumps really add a lot to the game.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Brune
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
HEY! That TICKLES!
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Another concern is that it looks like RoadZters takes more skill than Pitch Car. Specifically, the ball can do more fancy manuevers such as curve and double back, which looks like alot more difficult to get the basic idea of, as opposed top flicking the simpleton Pitch Car, wooden puck. It is cheaper though, which is always a plus


True, doing tricks with the Z-Ball takes more skill and practice to master. For some people, that's a plus. I'd recommend getting one or more of the "high friction" Z-Balls. They're easier to control, in most situations. What we've done is allow each player, before taking a shot, to choose whether they want to use the regular or high-friction ball. Kind of like choosing which golf club you want to use.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Bigmore
England
Abingdon
Oxon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went for full size and bought the first extension and fifth (the cross) at the same time (cheaper P&P!). From the reviews I read, the first was essential, adding interesting optional extras such as chicanes, tunnel and jump. The fifth also came recommended as a way to make interesting tracks in smaller spaces.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never played with the mini version and am very happy with the regular sized PitchCar. The only expansion I have been disappointed in was the long straights (mine are still warped). None of the expansions are necessary but the Stunt expansion is our most popular and doesn't add much to the overall size of the layout.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.