Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
I've embarked upon a quixotic project to play the top 10 games from each year since 1995 (excluding war games, 'thematic' games and children's games). I'm creating a geeklist for each year, and the overall list is here.

1995 was an easy start because I'd already played 9 of the 10 games. But 1996 is tricky! If you have any of the games on this list, could you let me know if you'd bring them along to LoB some time and play them with me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Martin

I have the Catan card game if you really insist. Actually i would not mind trying it again, probably have not played it since 96.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Do not shed tears over throws of the past, roll again!
badge
Click here for free games.
mbmbmbmbmb
I should probably make a similar announcement about my ridiculous wishlist so I actually get to work out which ones i want
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Davies
United Kingdom
Winchmore Hill
London
flag msg tools
Lv 30 Lawful/Evil Human Dungeon Master
badge
In Toruk's name!
mbmbmb
That seems very arbitrary to ignore wargames and thematic games. Sadly I have nothing from 1996, bit of an odd year of dubious quality titles :s
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darke wrote:
That seems very arbitrary to ignore wargames and thematic games. Sadly I have nothing from 1996, bit of an odd year of dubious quality titles :s

Phil, wargames tend to be long, complex and 2-player only, which makes them unsuitable for playing at LoB. I'm also not really interested in the details of conflict - the 'war' games I do enjoy are more political.

Thematic games was more difficult, but if I don't exclude the whole subdomain I get swamped with games involving orcs and dungeons that I have absolutely no interest in.

This seemed the cleanest way of generating a list of games that I was interested in playing without just picking and choosing piecemeal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Davies
United Kingdom
Winchmore Hill
London
flag msg tools
Lv 30 Lawful/Evil Human Dungeon Master
badge
In Toruk's name!
mbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:

Phil, wargames tend to be long, complex and 2-player only, which makes them unsuitable for playing at LoB. I'm also not really interested in the details of conflict - the 'war' games I do enjoy are more political.

Thematic games was more difficult, but if I don't exclude the whole subdomain I get swamped with games involving orcs and dungeons that I have absolutely no interest in.

This seemed the cleanest way of generating a list of games that I was interested in playing without just picking and choosing piecemeal.

The wargame argument does make sense now given the context, playing at LoB isn't really suitable for most of them! I wasn't aware there were so many poor quality games that end up in the thematic bucket, shame we can't somehow ban them from BGG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, unfortunately the 'thematic games' subdomain is rather ill-defined and hence there are some weird results. Galaxy Trucker, for example, is in there, because the votes that weren't for 'thematic' are split half-way between 'strategy' and 'family'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lloyd
United Kingdom
Sidcup
Kent
flag msg tools
This game is bullshit.
mbmbmbmb
'97 should be fairly easy. Oak and Nato own Seafarers, Canadian Rob owns Zendo...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Expansions don't count. I'll need Primordial Soup, Zendo, Gipf, Turn the Tide and Jungle Speed, all of which I'm quite interested in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
He was Geordie-Greek and hung out on the 'Geek and his name was
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
Support comes in many forms: community involvement, forum posts, submitting data, running PbF games, word-of-mouth advertising, financial donations... All these are vital to this site, and you have my sincere thanks for participating in any of them.
badge
Currently: suffering from a lack of time; I think it's a chronic condition.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Zendo too if needed, which I'd gladly lend to support the cause.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fairfaxx
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
Expansions don't count. I'll need Primordial Soup, Zendo, Gipf, Turn the Tide and Jungle Speed, all of which I'm quite interested in.

this was the one that caused a lot of stress at the LOB eastbourne weekend!

admittedly, there were some vague rules and things we mixed up, but even after trying to placate all parties involved it resulted in arguments and a huge gaming breakup. lol.

I can't remember who said quietly "we'll just make up some rules" (might have even been me) but that got a great indignant response of "Make up the Rules!! You can't just Make up Rules!!!" hehe.

and then the resulting split into 2 games of Jungle Speed and Animal Upon Animal on the same table was always going to go horribly wrong! lol

it all ended out fine in the end.

we did play jungle speed in the end and it was great fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Do not shed tears over throws of the past, roll again!
badge
Click here for free games.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have jungle speed. I love it, although you need to play with people who have trimmed and filed their nails.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.