Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're looking for a game that captures the word-building aspect of Scrabble but without the feeling that the fun is being sucked out of your life, then Bananagrams is the game you've been looking for.

Similar to Scrabble, Bananagrams players use letter tiles to make a series of intersecting words. That’s pretty much where the comparison ends. The key to Bananagrams’ enjoyment is that it’s fast and simple - no letter values, no score multipliers, and no waiting for your next turn. Players simultaneously build their own set of crosswords using a pile of letters drawn at the start of the game. If you don’t like the way your crosswords are turning out, simply pull apart some of the words, and start again. If you have some letters you can’t use, throw them back in the community pile and take new ones. The key to winning is speed and agility. When one player uses up all of their letters, everyone has to take another letter from the community pile. With all these letters flying around, you’ll have to pull apart words and make new ones on the fly.

Since the letters don’t have a point value, the winner of the round is the first person to use all their letters once the community pile is gone. Bananagrams is unique in that the more players you have, the faster the game goes. A two player game has longer rounds with very large crosswords, while a six player game has rounds lasting about five minutes.

Overall, Bananagrams is a great Scrabble substitute. In fact, everyone I’ve played with actually likes this game better than Scrabble. To top it off, the high-quality letter tiles come in a banana-shaped pouch, which is both festive and great for travel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
The Back Alley gets no respect.
mbmbmbmbmb
On the other hand, if you want to be in a frantically paced game which is an almost exact rip off of Pick Two! and Double Quick, then you're right, Bananagrams is the game for you. If you want time to think and build words, Scrabble will do the trick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Eisenhauer
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
On the other hand, if you want to be in a frantically paced game which is an almost exact rip off of Pick Two! and Double Quick, then you're right, Bananagrams is the game for you. If you want time to think and build words, Scrabble will do the trick.

Wow! Why the unconstructive anger?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think that pointing out that there are three games with the same pieces and rules is unconstructive. Oh, one of them comes in a yellow bag, that's true. Not anger so much as distaste for the hype this game has garnered when, in fact, it's truly a clone.

I was at the beach this summer (Narragansett, RI) and they had planes flying with banners plugging the game. I just happen to think that people should know that there's nothing original about the game. Oh, except for the yellow bag. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer C
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's like Scrabble, except completely different.

Bananagrams is a game of speed, while Scrabble is a game of strategy and skill. Yes, they both use words, but their similarity ends there. I like both, but I don't know why you feel the need to compare two dissimilar games. Why the hate? It just comes off as petulant.

If you wish to try a different game which I feel actually scratches the Scrabble itch, Word Squares is a great paper-and-pencil word game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Eisenhauer
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
I don't think that pointing out that there are three games with the same pieces and rules is unconstructive. Oh, one of them comes in a yellow bag, that's true. Not anger so much as distaste for the hype this game has garnered when, in fact, it's truly a clone.

The tone your first, and also this reply takes is IMHO accusatory and not really warranted. I appreciate the fact that you point out that prior games are similar (if not exactly the same), but that fact is also pointed out on Bananagrams page in the database. I do nor see any hype arround the game, what I see is advertisement. Your base complaint could also be leveled at Mancala or Othello.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eisenphx wrote:
The tone your first, and also this reply takes is IMHO accusatory and not really warranted.
Maybe it all started downhill when the original post indicated that Scrabble is a fun-sucking game???

And, as others have said, Scrabble and Bananagrams are not at all very similar. It would be like saying that Acquire scratches the Monopoly itch. They both involve building hotels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Second in a one horse race
United Kingdom
Bloxham
Oxon
flag msg tools
Cardboard rocks. It's just not the same on iOS.
badge
F&%K YOU, DODGEBALL!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:

Amen, brother.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Jensen
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
It would be like saying that Acquire scratches the Monopoly itch.

It doesn't?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jess
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:

I was at the beach this summer (Narragansett, RI) and they had planes flying with banners plugging the game. I just happen to think that people should know that there's nothing original about the game. Oh, except for the yellow bag.

Bananagrams has a different tile distribution and different scoring rules to Pick Two, Double Quick and Speed Scrabble. While it's clearly based on these games, I don't think you can say there's nothing different about it. Is it different enough to be worth buying if you already have a scrabble set that you could use to play? Probably not. But as someone who doesn't have any desire to own a Scrabble set, the money I spent on Bananagrams was worth it.

UanarchyK wrote:

I agree. The "feel" of the game, and the skills required to do well, are very different. It must be because otherwise I wouldn't like the game, as personally I find Scrabble very boring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Leach
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jesslc wrote:
Randy Cox wrote:

I was at the beach this summer (Narragansett, RI) and they had planes flying with banners plugging the game. I just happen to think that people should know that there's nothing original about the game. Oh, except for the yellow bag.

Bananagrams has a different tile distribution and different scoring rules to Pick Two, Double Quick and Speed Scrabble. While it's clearly based on these games, I don't think you can say there's nothing different about it. Is it different enough to be worth buying if you already have a scrabble set that you could use to play? Probably not. But as someone who doesn't have any desire to own a Scrabble set, the money I spent on Bananagrams was worth it.

UanarchyK wrote:

I agree. The "feel" of the game, and the skills required to do well, are very different. It must be because otherwise I wouldn't like the game, as personally I find Scrabble very boring.

Same here, I find scrabble slightly dire. One of those games from my youth that I probably won't ever return to. On the other hand bananagrams is a daft, silly, screw your friends treat that rewards fast and aggressive play and shallow thinking on the fly. It's perfect for the way we live today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mattxboard wrote:
bananagrams is a daft, silly, screw your friends treat that rewards fast and aggressive play and shallow thinking on the fly. It's perfect for the way we live today.
Hahaha. That's funny.

I'll grant that shallow and screw your buddy apply. Aggressive can also apply to Scrabble, only much deeper and longer ranging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Latecomer to the thread. Just wanted to add that if you don't play Scrabble aggressively, you're playing it wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.