Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Buhl
United States
Pittsfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a fairly nice backgammon set, with a cork board. There are very small, almost opaque bugs in/on the cork. We see them crawling across the board from time to time. They seem to be a type of fly, but they're so small that my simple camera would never capture a decent image of them.

Last year, we left the set in the cold for about a week (the really cold part of winter), and when we brought it back in they were gone. Today we played again, and they're back. We don't play very often, so I've no idea how long they've been back.

We live in Pittsfield, Massachusetts, USA (so the northeast of the US). Does anyone have an idea what type of bug they might be? And if we need to worry about them damaging other items / furniture, etc. in our house? And if the board itself will slowly be eaten away? I should mention, there is no readily visible damage to the board, although we've not used a magnifying glass or any similar device to observe it closely.

Thanks for any help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy..."
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can't see any damage, how do you know the bugs aren't simply landing on the board while you play? Do you see the bugs anywhere else in the house?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Pittsfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tckoppang wrote:
If you can't see any damage, how do you know the bugs aren't simply landing on the board while you play? Do you see the bugs anywhere else in the house?

That's a good question, thanks for mentioning it. The answer is, although we're not sure they aren't landing on the board, we definitely do not see the bugs anywhere else in the house. They do have an appearance similar to a fruit fly, which we do have (with the warm weather). However, they are notably smaller than fruit flies (at least the ones we have here), and are more opaque while our fruit flies are brown/black. Also, last year we noticed them in the very dead of winter, so they had to have been living inside for some time, I'm assuming in the board.

It is also possible, I suppose, that they are small enough that we only notice them against the cork, but I think that's highly unlikely.

Thanks,

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
Plaatsvervangende Schaamte
badge
mbmbmb
You could try applying some cedar oil to the board. That is generally toxic to insects but would not affect a wooden board.

Whether or not you are doomed seems independent of infestation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Pittsfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JonPrud wrote:
You could try applying some cedar oil to the board. That is generally toxic to insects but would not affect a wooden board.

Whether or not you are doomed seems independent of infestation.

Thanks for the tip. Do you think it would be safe for cork?

This picture looks very much like our board:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
Plaatsvervangende Schaamte
badge
mbmbmb
fatgreta wrote:
Thanks for the tip. Do you think it would be safe for cork?

This picture looks very much like our board:

Yeah, I think it would be fine. The cedar oil should not cause any corruption of the board, and it should seep into the porous board getting at the root of the problem.

I would test it in an inconspicuous corner of the board, just to be safe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Αγγελος Λαμπριδης
Greece
Athens
Holargos
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let them live... they are friends.. or they just like backgammon!! do they drink frape??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Pittsfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vradipous1 wrote:
Let them live... they are friends.. or they just like backgammon!! do they drink frape??

I don't know. Sadly, I don't have any frappe to offer them, so I'll never know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Αγγελος Λαμπριδης
Greece
Athens
Holargos
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fatgreta wrote:
vradipous1 wrote:

Unbelievable!!! you play backgammon without drinkig frape????? Frape (φραπεδουμπα in greek) is a necessary expansion of backgammon...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Pittsfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vradipous1 wrote:
fatgreta wrote:
vradipous1 wrote:

Unbelievable!!! you play backgammon without drinkig frape????? Frape (φραπεδουμπα in greek) is a necessary expansion of backgammon...

I thought you Greeks were more into Plakoto (sp?) than Backgammon anyway? What do you drink with that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Αγγελος Λαμπριδης
Greece
Athens
Holargos
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fatgreta wrote:

I thought you Greeks were more into Plakoto (sp?) than Backgammon anyway? What do you drink with that?

hmmm you know plakoto.... here in greece when we say backgammon we mean ταβλι (tavli) which includes the games πλακωτο, πορτες, ασσοδυο and φευγα (plakoto, portes, assodio and feuga)... so we drink frape with all of that games!!!!!

ps: today i drank frape but not with backgammon... with munchkin!!!! and i won!!!!!! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Pittsfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vradipous1 wrote:
fatgreta wrote:

hmmm you know plakoto.... here in greece when we say backgammon we mean ταβλι (tavli) which includes the games πλακωτο, πορτες, ασσοδυο and φευγα (plakoto, portes, assodio and feuga)... so we drink frape with all of that games!!!!!

ps: today i drank frape but not with backgammon... with munchkin!!!! and i won!!!!!! cool

I've played a few games of plakoto, it was fun. I don't like backgammon much, but my wife does so we play sometimes. She's much better.

I don't know the other games you mention. It was explained to me that backgammon is actually one of three games (I'm not saying the explainer was correct), including plakoto and one other I don't remember the name of. He said that backgammon is supposed to be the most luck dependent of the three, plakoto the least. In other words, a more skilled player will lose less often in backgammon than in plakoto.

I'm no good at any of them, so I can't vouch for the statement. What's your take on that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Αγγελος Λαμπριδης
Greece
Athens
Holargos
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure that your backgammon is our portes. is the most luck depented of the 4 (not 3) games. Also is the most quickly so we prefer to play portes because we can play it more times without thinking a lot...
(sorry if my english are not be correct....)

edit: assodio is a very luck depented game (maybe more than portes) but we don't play it often because it takes a long time...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Pittsfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One day, my dream of traveling to Greece will come true. I'll try them all then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Αγγελος Λαμπριδης
Greece
Athens
Holargos
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ok, so we'll have the chance to play together... wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Pittsfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vradipous1 wrote:
ok, so we'll have the chance to play together... wow

Have you heard about the first board game hotel?

http://www.aleaparos.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Αγγελος Λαμπριδης
Greece
Athens
Holargos
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
no, i 've never heard it, but i don't care... everywhere i go is a board game place..... (because i bring my games with me!!!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Pittsfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vradipous1 wrote:
no, i 've never heard it, but i don't care... everywhere i go is a board game place..... (because i bring my games with me!!!)

OK, then if I come to Greece and can't get a room in Alea Paros, I'll just come find you in Athens. How many Aggelos vradipous can there be in one city?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Αγγελος Λαμπριδης
Greece
Athens
Holargos
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hahahahaha! ok! Aggelos (Αγγελος) is my name, which means angel. Vradipous (βραδυπους) is my favorite animal (sloth in your language).... and yes, there is only me....!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Pittsfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vradipous1 wrote:
Vradipous (βραδυπους) is my favorite animal (sloth in your language)!

So I won't have any trouble catching up to you, good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Αγγελος Λαμπριδης
Greece
Athens
Holargos
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fatgreta wrote:
vradipous1 wrote:
Vradipous (βραδυπους) is my favorite animal (sloth in your language)!

So I won't have any trouble catching up to you, good.

hahahahaha! exactly!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.