Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike NZ
New Zealand
LOTR
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering if solo play is a good gaming experience?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have enjoyed the basegame solo, and if you like to solo 2.player games with cards, this one should be good, as it is a good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
Du Quoin
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Do a search in the other CC forums as many have devised systems to play solo and seem to enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
mb
It all depends on how comfortable you are knowing some (or all) of the other side's hand of cards and if that gaming experience is something you would enjoy.

Reading the forums you will find advocates for both sides of the question, but in the end, you need to decide what you are looking for as you play a game solo and if the greater card knowledge would upset that experience for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike NZ
New Zealand
LOTR
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking CCPacific was the same in gameplay as the other CC ones...not the case as I read thru the rules so many thanks guys for the help! Excellent I will checkout the other forums on CC.cool

RPardoe wrote:
It all depends on how comfortable you are knowing some (or all) of the other side's hand of cards

Richard I think U hit on something I have always wanted to overcome the gamers 'know all above the table view' in most 2 player hex/card games...when I play Up Front solo I know the cards in the 'enemy's' hand but just before 'their' turn I shuffle & mix in some new cards with their hand just before I draw cards for 'them' & then I use the ones that would probably be ones 'they' would play in a F2F game - this works well. but not being familar yet with CCP I wasn't sure something along this type of 'mechanic' will work.

Solo...I guess your all asking why not play CCP F2F...time is the biggest enemy I guess & some games just take so long to setup or play, small children who form a HCMDG (Hunter Counter Map Destroyer Groups) & really make 'Fog Of War' a reality, ruining tables left with on-going games on them...they hide counters...behind furniture, in cupboards under carpet etc...grrrrr...cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
mb
Dirty Harry wrote:
when I play Up Front solo

If you enjoy this, then you will have no problems with CC solo.

Quote:
I know the cards in the 'enemy's' hand but just before 'their' turn I shuffle & mix in some new cards with their hand just before I draw cards

A method used by several here as well. Other variants include not looking at the cards drawn at the end of a turn until necessary (potential OpFire shots, possible actions, etc.)

Quote:
small children who form a HCMDG (Hunter Counter Map Destroyer Groups)

May I point out that Vassal is a perfect counter-HCMDG device! Not only allows for play against opponents, but solo play as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Because card hands at least partially replenish after each move, I have found the Combat Commander system to play quite well solo. Draw new cards face down and don't look at them while you pick up the other side's hand and play it. You'll almost never know one side's complete options while playing the other. - vfr
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike NZ
New Zealand
LOTR
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RPardoe [/q wrote:

May I point out that Vassal is a perfect counter-HCMDG device! Not only allows for play against opponents, but solo play as well.

Many thanks everyone for your feedback info on CCP...GMT create some wonderful games.

Yep love Vassal! Use it as much as possible. Brilliant! But I do like to touch real counters/cards from time to time...BUT must be a sign of the times, gaming times...time minus work minus family minus other real life stuff=less time for gaming! cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
i've done several plays solo:
www.meshtime.com
I feel that as long as the scenario is small its good.
Otherwise, it becomes a card flipping exercise.
Scenarios of 1/2 map might be cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Roy
United States
Montclair
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i would be interested in playing. if you are up for a game?

Barry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.