Alexandre Garcia
Portugal
Tomar
Lisboa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello my friends,

Until 13 January 2012 designers can send their submissions to the Ludopolis Game Design Contest to concurso@ludopolis.pt. Participation has no fee and the winner will be published trough Runadrake! It's a new contest that has some important goals to achieve:

- To encourage board games design in Portugal and within the world.
- To encourage and raise awareness about board games among the general public.
- To share the talent, the creativity and the designers creations with the general public.
- To help participants prepare to compete for international relevant contests.
- To set the scene for Portugal on the biggest international competitions for board game design.

You can check the Regulation in www.ludopolis.pt (it's a game Festival in Lisbon), or just click here:

http://www.ludopolis.pt/en/pdf/concurso_info_EN.pdf

I wish you the best ideas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Only Portugal designers allowed to enter, and/or do you have to attend the fair to participate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Lownds
United Kingdom
Swansea
uk
flag msg tools
Merry Christmas, you filthy animal
mbmbmbmbmb
ropearoni4 wrote:
Only Portugal designers allowed to enter, and/or do you have to attend the fair to participate?

The rules say
"Designers of all nationalities are allowed to participate."
Thats you and me baby!
and then goes onto
"The designers of the shortlisted games for the 2nd phase will receive a note (until February 22nd 2012) to submit the fully playable prototype before March 16th (mail sending date)"
So designers and submissions can be from anywhere.
Simples.

Cuckooclock
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Any chance for a translation of the rules, location to send to, email address to send, etc? so that those who can not read the page can participate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micah Fuller
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The second link from the OP (the pdf) is in English. Though grammar is not the best (no offense), all the information you're looking for is in there.

Note that
Quote:
The contest is open to any board game designer with more than 18 years old without authored or co-authored games published (not even in self-edition)
which likely disqualifies everyone with a "Game Designer" badge already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I know a bunch of designers without a published game. Just looking out for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Garcia
Portugal
Tomar
Lisboa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Designers with only self-published games are allowed do participate too (it's not in the rules yet but it will be soon!).

So, you should read in the rules:

"The contest is open to any board game designer with more than 18 years old without authored or co-authored games published (except in self-edition)."

The full site is translated if you click in the flags at the top right

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is interesting indeed.

I don't understand a few things, though:

a) on page 2 of the regulations, you say, under "How to participate?", in the end of the first paragraph "Designers must also send a picture of the game and its components".
What kind of picture? a game in progress? components only? of course, these components are going to be a draft, and, for obvious reasons won't be the definite components. How can you/the judges judge them?

b) say a person's game passes to phase 2 (YEY!! for him), you tell him on February 22nd, and he must submit the finished product (fully playable), by March 16th.
Those are 3 weeks, in which a person will have to create all the components in a "less-drafty" fashion. Isn't it a limited amount of time (considering shipping times (both of the finished components from the printer and to Portugal)?
I mean: if I want to have an ArtsCow deck, it takes like 2 weeks, only to get here in Italy; then I would have to assemble the whole game, and ship it to Portugal (which would take no less than 1 week).
Time is a big constrain with this (especially for international participants).

c) I know I am being a lawyer, on my next point (hey... BTW, I am an IP lawyer, in real life... what do you know...) but isn't "the organizers will not be liable for couterfeit or plagerism" in contrast with "the intellectual property rights belong to the designers and shall be respected".
I mean: if the IP right "shall be respected", anyone who violates them shall be liable of plagerism.

Thanx for clearing these points.

cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Garcia
Portugal
Tomar
Lisboa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ikim wrote:
This is interesting indeed.

I don't understand a few things, though:

a) on page 2 of the regulations, you say, under "How to participate?", in the end of the first paragraph "Designers must also send a picture of the game and its components".
What kind of picture? a game in progress? components only? of course, these components are going to be a draft, and, for obvious reasons won't be the definite components. How can you/the judges judge them?

b) say a person's game passes to phase 2 (YEY!! for him), you tell him on February 22nd, and he must submit the finished product (fully playable), by March 16th.
Those are 3 weeks, in which a person will have to create all the components in a "less-drafty" fashion. Isn't it a limited amount of time (considering shipping times (both of the finished components from the printer and to Portugal)?
I mean: if I want to have an ArtsCow deck, it takes like 2 weeks, only to get here in Italy; then I would have to assemble the whole game, and ship it to Portugal (which would take no less than 1 week).
Time is a big constrain with this (especially for international participants).

c) I know I am being a lawyer, on my next point (hey... BTW, I am an IP lawyer, in real life... what do you know...) but isn't "the organizers will not be liable for couterfeit or plagerism" in contrast with "the intellectual property rights belong to the designers and shall be respected".
I mean: if the IP right "shall be respected", anyone who violates them shall be liable of plagerism.

Thanx for clearing these points.

cheers

Hello Michele. I will try to answear your questions:

a) Of course the components may not be the final ones (and they don't have to), its only to have an idea of the "game scene". A pic with the game in progress would be great, but a pic with all the components can fit. The only thing that will be observed is the rules and the mechanics, never the "good or bad looking" enters in the contest. I see no problem in the participation of a game without "almost professional" components. That's the purpose: to find a good game, not a good looking one.

b) Going into phase 2 doesnt means that you have to make a new good looking prototype. The first one is ok, since the purpose is to find interesting mecanics and ways of playing. If the designer wish, he can do a very good looking prototype at ArtsCow or similar, but it's not the aesthetic that is judged. About the sending time, you have 3 weeks to put the game inside the package (if you send it the last day - 16th March - it's ok, since the stamp proves that you have been inside the delay).

c) I think there is no contradiction, because the idea is that the organization will always respect the author's rights and don't want to be associated to any (very hipotetical) misunderstanding: that's why they incentive you to protect your game if you consider necessary. Anyway, the intelectual property is inherent to the autor itself, and do not depend of any registration (at least in Portugal).

Cheers from Lisbon! =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Garcia
Portugal
Tomar
Lisboa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone,

The full Ludopolis site is now translated in 4 languages (English, French, Spanish and Portuguese). You can find the regulation of the game design contest inside =)

www.ludopolis.pt

Good luck meeple!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoit Forget
France
Camblanes et Meynac
France
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Who will be the members of the jury? Thanks.
I hope it will be a great contest!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Garcia
Portugal
Tomar
Lisboa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Backerfield wrote:
Who will be the members of the jury? Thanks.
I hope it will be a great contest!

Hello Benoit! The members of the Jury will not be revealed at this stage. It is a mesure that ensures the transparency of the contest. Most of the Jury members are professionals from to the game scene in Portugal but also from the outside.

meeple

www.ludopolis.pt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoit Forget
France
Camblanes et Meynac
France
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Alexandre!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Garcia
Portugal
Tomar
Lisboa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Logo of the contest

Files can be received until 13 January 2012 to concurso@ludopolis.pt

Good luck! Bonne chance! Mucha suerte! Boa sorte! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Garcia
Portugal
Tomar
Lisboa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget you can send your rules for Ludopolis contest until 13 January!

There is still time to write them

Happy New Year!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Garcia
Portugal
Tomar
Lisboa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello my friends!

Thank you for all the people who have participated in this contest! We are now reading the rules of the 78 games that were accepted to this first contest edition =)

We were not expecting such a big participation: published designers could not be in, each designer could only send a max. of 3 games, and the contest had no past - but it will have future for sure!

The organization will do its best to give the winning prize to the best of all those games!

Thank you again from Lisbon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ivan pawle
Ireland
Dublin
D7
flag msg tools
Save keys to open doors...
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to hearing more about this.
Will the shortlist be announced on February 22nd?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Garcia
Portugal
Tomar
Lisboa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
insearchofspace wrote:
Looking forward to hearing more about this.
Will the shortlist be announced on February 22nd?

Yes it will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ivan pawle
Ireland
Dublin
D7
flag msg tools
Save keys to open doors...
mbmbmbmbmb
Any update on the shortlist?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Garcia
Portugal
Tomar
Lisboa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
insearchofspace wrote:
Any update on the shortlist?

Hi,

24 games passed to Phase 2.

We had a little problem with the account concurso@ludopolis.pt. If anyone have sent a message and had no answear, please resend to geral@ludopolis.pt. Or if someone had no indication if they passed or not to phase 2.

Thank you all =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Garcia
Portugal
Tomar
Lisboa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The results of the second phase were sent minutes ago. 6 games moved on to the Final! We wish the best of luck to all the games that participated on the Ludopolis contest.

Thank you all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Garcia
Portugal
Tomar
Lisboa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
And the winner is: "Why First?" from the french designer Simon Havard.

Congratulations! =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.