$10.00
Recommend
73 
 Thumb up
 Hide
101 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Community » Geek of the Week

Subject: Geek of the Week #322 - Amiguero rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Troy
United States
Los Osos
California
flag msg tools
This overtext is far more interesting than I am.
badge
One die to rule them all.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey again.

How is the week going? Having a good time?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panda Z
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1nf1n1ty wrote:
Hey again.

How is the week going? Having a good time?


Hi thank, it's been great. I think I finally catch up with all the questions, and happy to answer more

I like to take this opportunity to thank muzfish4 for the hounor meeple

7 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, a few more.

What is your favourite:

- book
- place /country for à holiday
- job if you could choose
- pet animal
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cedro Gomes
Brazil
Aguas Claras
DF
flag msg tools
Pinky: "Gee Brain what are we gonna do tonight ?" Brain: "The same thing we do everynight Pinky. Try to take over the world !"
mbmbmbmbmb
Amiguero wrote:
DanielCG wrote:
My questions:


Fire up!

Quote:
d10-0 How did you meet BGG ?


Via word of mouth from some local gamers. I was very reluctant to participate at first, but once I got used to it, I got hooked

Quote:
d10-1 What are the qualities of a good player ?


I enjoy mostly the social side of board gaming, so being friendly will be the most on my check list.

Quote:
d10-2 What is your favorite ABSTRACT GAME ?


Chess, I played a lot in high school. Not any more though.

Quote:
d10-3 Can you describe yourself as a gammer ?


I would say yes, but the social one that like to share the hobby and is happy to teach others.

Quote:
d10-4 At a movie theater which arm rest is yours ?


Is this a trick question? Doesn't really matter as long as there is a space to place my soda

Quote:
d10-5 How come all of the planets are spherical ?


Not all! I firm believer that there a Discworld out there somewhere...

Quote:
d10-6 Why don't sheep shrink when it rains ?


They do, but you don't notice because all that wool.

Quote:
Enjoy your week.


Thanks mate!

Thanks for your answers.

Amiguero wrote:
Is this a trick question?

For sure ...
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Sinclair
Canada
Ancaster
Ontario
flag msg tools
One Thread for All
badge
The name's Andrew -- pronounced 'Kah-thoo-loo'
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Amiguero!

I hope you are enjoying your week in the sun!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merran Furness
Australia
Canberra
Australian Capital Territory
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amiguero wrote:


Quote:
d10-1 What has been the single worst game you have ever played?


Reef Encounter I still got the goose bumps every time someone suggest that game.




Why? What didn't you like about it? I'm curious because it's one I want to play...

meeple
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam
Australia
Dickson
ACT
flag msg tools
??!
badge
And when you gaze long into Ducky Momo, Ducky Momo also gazes into you.
mbmbmbmbmb
bluefroggirl wrote:
Why? What didn't you like about it? I'm curious because it's one I want to play...meeple

Your ratings correlation is -0.36 so I don't think you will dislike it for the same reasons. Rene also rates Caylus a three so it's in fine company!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Furness
Australia
Monash
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rene,

Congratulations on Geek of the Week mate. Sounds like you've been enjoying the experience. A few questions to round out the week.

d10-1 What has been the most enjoyable part of being the GotW? Is it getting the Microbadge??

d10-2 How can you rate Caylus a 3 given your enjoyment of worker placement games? What aspects don't you enjoy?

d10-3 Pitch Car - rated 5.... Please explain. (This better be good...)

d10-4 How big is your ideal game collection? I note you only have 5 games on your wishlist. Are you already there or are other constraints in play?

Enjoy the rest of your week.

7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panda Z
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Narl wrote:
Alright, a few more.

What is your favourite:

- book
- place /country for à holiday
- job if you could choose
- pet animal


Hi Narl

Thanks mate for dropping a comment.

- I'm a bit of Terry Pratchett fan so I say 'Going Postal' is my favourite.
- I really like to travel more around Australia. It is an amazing place. Also, I need to get back to Europe and visit as many countries as I could.
- Games tester meeple
- Gold fish! but I don't have at the moment soblue

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panda Z
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DanielCG wrote:

For sure ...


Just checking laugh
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panda Z
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cthulhu1 wrote:
Congratulations, Amiguero!

I hope you are enjoying your week in the sun!


Hi Cthulhu1, (I always wonder how to pronounce that name )

Thanks for you post. Yes enjoying it a lot

How come you have so many shiny microbadges?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panda Z
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bluefroggirl wrote:
Amiguero wrote:


Quote:
d10-1 What has been the single worst game you have ever played?


Reef Encounter I still got the goose bumps every time someone suggest that game.




Why? What didn't you like about it? I'm curious because it's one I want to play...

meeple


Hi bluefroggirl,

It was a sad experience in a EuroGameFest a few years back. I was looking for a game to play and someone said that this one was a good one. The problem was that the 3 people that gather to play it, didn't knew it. So we waste more than an hour reading the rules. When we got to the starting point we weren't sure if what we were doing was correct so basically going back an fort to the rules. After another hour of this, and finally got the idea what was going on, one of the players suffered from analysis paralysis and drag the game for maybe another hour. shake

Once we finish it, Martha has already played like 5 games and having a great time, while I was cranky and frustrated. yuk

By all means try it, but make sure you play it with someone that already knows it.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panda Z
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
srand wrote:
bluefroggirl wrote:
Why? What didn't you like about it? I'm curious because it's one I want to play...meeple

Your ratings correlation is -0.36 so I don't think you will dislike it for the same reasons. Rene also rates Caylus a three so it's in fine company!


Hey! that is a nice tool. First time I see it thumbsup
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panda Z
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tezza wrote:
Rene,

Congratulations on Geek of the Week mate. Sounds like you've been enjoying the experience. A few questions to round out the week.


TEZZA!!!

Hi mate!, thanks for showing up.


Quote:
d10-1 What has been the most enjoyable part of being the GotW? Is it getting the Microbadge??


Probably the fact that it was totally unexpected. I think it is time to show off the microbadge laugh


Quote:
d10-2 How can you rate Caylus a 3 given your enjoyment of worker placement games? What aspects don't you enjoy?


There is something about this game that somehow let me down. I'm not sure what it is, but I felt disappointed every time I have play it.

You know that I play it, in fact I join the Caylubration, but only if it strictly the last option gulp

Quote:
d10-3 Pitch Car - rated 5.... Please explain. (This better be good...)


You may need to review the scoring table from your b'day modest

Those bloody jumps still give me nightmares angry

Quote:
d10-4 How big is your ideal game collection? I note you only have 5 games on your wishlist. Are you already there or are other constraints in play?


What?

Are you sure you are looking in the right place? I got 30 on my wishlist. (about 10 if you talking about the 'must have')

I'm thinking 100 is a good number, so I'm getting there (don't take into account the expansions)

Quote:
Enjoy the rest of your week.


Cheers mate! thanks!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
G'day Rene,

I try to remember to ask each Geek of the Week these gaming related questions, so to start with here's the ever so slightly modified GeekSpeak Hook questions for you:
Favourite game(s) for d10-1 player (optional, many non-wargamers wouldn't have an answer for this)
Favourite game(s) for d10-2 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-3 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-4 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-5 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-6 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-7 or more players (and you may choose a Party Game here although I wouldn't meeple )

Also Word Association Football , I will list a word and you list a game or games that you associate with it. If you like you can expand and tell us if you like it/them or hate it/them and possibly why.

Space ships
Witches
Trains
Transport (may include trains)
Workers (paid or otherwise)
Trading
Building
Pink
Theme
Ships
Money
Purple
Government
Vampires
Infrastructure
Dice
Dinosaurs
Gemstones
Dragons
Beer
Wands

Is there any particular game that you have played recently, new or old, that you would like to recommend to readers of this thread? And optionally, why?

Last but not least, what are the five games that you have played most recently?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panda Z
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="Karlsen"]G'day Rene,

I try to remember to ask each Geek of the Week these gaming related questions, so to start with here's the ever so slightly modified GeekSpeak Hook questions for you:

Hi Kerlsen,

Thanks mate for tune in.

Quote:
Favourite game(s) for d10-1 player (optional, many non-wargamers wouldn't have an answer for this)


Rallyman maybe the only game I have played solo

Quote:
Favourite game(s) for d10-2 players


Chess I have to go with the classic.

Quote:
Favourite game(s) for d10-3 players


Blokus Trigon I reckon it really works for three players

Quote:
Favourite game(s) for d10-4 players


Any of the Tummelhofer games.

Quote:
Favourite game(s) for d10-5 players


Carcassonne I have to mentioned at least one in this block

Quote:
Favourite game(s) for d10-6 players


Power Grid I love this one with six players.

Quote:
Favourite game(s) for d10-7 or more players (and you may choose a Party Game here although I wouldn't meeple )


6 takes is a great game for 7 to 10 players.

Quote:

Also Word Association Football , I will list a word and you list a game or games that you associate with it. If you like you can expand and tell us if you like it/them or hate it/them and possibly why.

Space ships


Starship Catan played a couple of times and enjoyed

Quote:
Witches


Poison I remember the big cauldrons on this one

Quote:
Trains


Ticket to ride Marklin Probably the only train game that I owned.

Quote:
Transport (may include trains)


Auf Achse I game I want to play but I don't know any one who has it in Canberra.

Quote:
Workers (paid or otherwise)


Manila I prefer to call them accomplices

Quote:
Trading


Bonanza Note to self: don't play this one with Neil Thomson (it could take hours...)

Quote:
Building


A Castle for all Seasons another game that I want to give it a go.

Quote:
Pink


Dixit Note to self: don't play this one with Patty Thomson (she is the queen on this game)

Quote:
Theme


The Adventures Love the treasure digging theme.

Quote:
Ships


Puerto Rico a way to get victory points.

Quote:
Money


Power Grid a tie breaker in this game

Quote:
Purple


Carcassonne: The Phantom the colour for the grey meeple phantom meeple

Quote:
Government


Tribune great game were you fight to control factions to get into power.

Quote:
Vampires


Fury of Dracula the only game I remember playing about this theme

Quote:
Infrastructure


Power Grid who would thing creating a electricity network is so much fun.

Quote:
Dice


Combo King big dice on this game 6

Quote:
Dinosaurs


[thing=73421]Uchronia[/thing] Glory to Rome with nice cards

Quote:
Gemstones


Incan Gold Plenty on these in this game

Quote:
Dragons


Carcassonne: The Princess & the Dragon the one an only meeple dragon

Quote:
Beer


Furstenfeld a game that I played related to this topic.

Quote:
Wands


Alchemist Just add some nice ingredients


Quote:

Is there any particular game that you have played recently, new or old, that you would like to recommend to readers of this thread? And optionally, why?


I would highly recommend Pantheon as it has a nice mechanic combination from other games. I have been played this a few times now and I find it challenging. There is a luck factor, but nothing to do with dice rolling.

Quote:

Last but not least, what are the five games that you have played most recently?


From most recent order

Royal Palace
Mord im Arosa
Power Grid: Italy map
Pantheon
Cardcassonne

6 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am on a Journey...
Australia
Lavington
New South Wales
flag msg tools
...to explore and discover games of all shapes and sizes regardless of colour, condition or creed
mbmbmbmbmb
Amiguero wrote:
[q="Karlsen"]G'day Rene,

Quote:
Trading


Bonanza Note to self: don't play this one with Neil Thomson (it could take hours...)

Quote:
Pink


Dixit Note to self: don't play this one with Patty Thomson (she is the queen on this game)


Wait...what...I am watching you know! ninja

Yes Pantheon...probably the 1 game I would most like to play again from your collection at the moment Rene.

Ok some more questions before your week is up.

d10-1 If they could incorporate any new theme into a new Carcassonne Expansion...what would it be.

d10-2 We are going to play a Carcassonne Mega Game in 2012...what is your prediction for the length of play that it will take?

d10-3 Predict what you think the hot theme for games will be in 2012?

d10-4 Of all the games you have played 2-player with Martha, which one do the pair of enjoy playing the most together?

d10-5 You love your Japanese anime culture. What type of characters/units/theme would you most love to see incorporated into a well designed (not trashy) game?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panda Z
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neil Thomson wrote:


Wait...what...I am watching you know! ninja


whistle

Quote:
Yes Pantheon...probably the 1 game I would most like to play again from your collection at the moment Rene.


What about January, would you like to try it again then?

Quote:
Ok some more questions before your week is up.

d10-1 If they could incorporate any new theme into a new Carcassonne Expansion...what would it be.


Something related to wizards. It has a mediaeval theme, and so far no wizards.

Quote:
d10-2 We are going to play a Carcassonne Mega Game in 2012...what is your prediction for the length of play that it will take?


I'm looking at the moment to add 3 more expansions to the 16 from the previous play. Depending on the numbers of players, but let's say 4 players may take close to 6 hours I reckon

Quote:
d10-3 Predict what you think the hot theme for games will be in 2012?


Hopefully something Sci-fi-ish because I think there is potential there.

Quote:
d10-4 Of all the games you have played 2-player with Martha, which one do the pair of enjoy playing the most together?


Finca we played a lot. Then Cardcassonne because Martha like it a lot. Other games we played a lot 2 players are:

Kingsburg
Factory Manager
Vikings
Stone Age
Royal Palace


Quote:
d10-5 You love your Japanese anime culture. What type of characters/units/theme would you most love to see incorporated into a well designed (not trashy) game?


I would love to see a boardgame implementation of Super Robot Taisen The video game plays a lot like a board game and see the mix of Super Robots has no equal.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am on a Journey...
Australia
Lavington
New South Wales
flag msg tools
...to explore and discover games of all shapes and sizes regardless of colour, condition or creed
mbmbmbmbmb
Pantheon in January it is.

6 Hours of Carcassonne...easy. I look forward to crushing you at your fav game! devil
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panda Z
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neil Thomson wrote:
Pantheon in January it is.

6 Hours of Carcassonne...easy. I look forward to crushing you at your fav game! devil


You are on Mister! angry

laugh
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Thayne
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Amiguero!

I trust you had a great week.

Watch out for the pony infestation this weekend.



5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panda Z
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wildthayne wrote:
Congratulations, Amiguero!

I trust you had a great week.

Watch out for the pony infestation this weekend.


Thanks wildthayne!

Indeed I have and cheers for the warning
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Rene!


1) Truth or beauty?
2) Speed or precision?
3) Justice or mercy?
4) Steadfast or flexible?
5) Cynicism or naivete?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panda Z
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
Congratulations Rene!


1) Truth or beauty?
2) Speed or precision?
3) Justice or mercy?
4) Steadfast or flexible?
5) Cynicism or naivete?


Thanks frumpish, much appreciated.

1) Truth
2) This depends on the topic.
3) Objection! sorry playing to much Ace Attorney lately
4) Flexible, you need to be as life is very dynamic. laugh
5) Bit of both, depending on the situation.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panda Z
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My time is now over as mb and I would like to thank you all making this a great week.

I have posted the next GotW here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/7888898#7888898

Most of you were correct, I don't take BGG ratings into account to get new games

Once again thanks

Cheers!
cool
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.