Popular Tags: [View All]
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
So I finally got the time to start playing around with art for this contest... I do sincerely hope that the lack of any other entry threads so far is down to people drawing stuff and not posting it, rather than ignoring the whole thing!

I'm not entirely sure which direction I want to go with this (I guess the point of the contest is that I don't have to entirely decide myself, either!), but I had this idea to draw age-of-sail warships, which then turned towards stereotypical pirates (and thus, the tropics) and then back towards warships again, before I figured that hey, boats can be generic, right?

Anyway, I've not done much which could be called final, but since there's little activity on this contest so far, I figured I should post some work-in-progress stuff, maybe it'll inspire some others to get cracking...

Main board - I'll try and also do a low-ink version dressed up like an old map instead of in full colour.

Testing an approach to painting the islands and ports/cities...

Almost immediately after I painted this I went and looked up what sailing ships actually look like, and I think I need to make some adjustments...! ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: WIP - A&G [Art] - TBD
These are looking pretty impressive
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Boats, now with vague historical accuracy!

I think I still need to work on my understanding of how the sails are attached, mind.

Comes in a variety of colours, thanks to the technological marvel that is the multiply layer!

This one took me around two hours, all-in, so I probably need to avoid getting carried away too much, work an assembly-line-type approach to match colours and blends and so on, so I can actually get more than a handful of pieces finished by this time next month...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Excellent. I'm sure you are just early and not the only person working on the contest. (I hope.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
jmucchiello wrote:
Excellent. I'm sure you are just early and not the only person working on the contest. (I hope.)

Me too - I'd hate to see the people who said they were interested in the design half all restricted to working on 18th-century boat games! ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sen-Foong Lim
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like that the sails are not only different colours, but different shapes - for the colour blind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
I think this stuff looks good. I'd kick historic accuracy to the curb, and draw stuff that you enjoy. Who cares if it doesn't look real?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Gylthinel wrote:
I'd kick historic accuracy to the curb, and draw stuff that you enjoy. Who cares if it doesn't look real?

Well, I'm glad you like it! I'm not counting tunic buttons or anything, but sometimes I draw something and think "that looks wrong", and it turns out that the reason it looks wrong is that it's not how people ever went about making boats (or whatever)!

Most recently, for example, there's no need for the horizontal crossbar at the bottoms of the sails - they should just be attached to the boat by cables or something. It's an easy fix, thankfully.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
Bichatse wrote:
Most recently, for example, there's no need for the horizontal crossbar at the bottoms of the sails - they should just be attached to the boat by cables or something. It's an easy fix, thankfully.

That really was nagging me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
senfoonglim wrote:
I like that the sails are not only different colours, but different shapes - for the colour blind.

I hope on the one page of additional art assets he has squarish versions of the sail colors so the designers can refer the flags without having to use the "sail" design.

BTW, Shouldn't there be a red chevron on the forward sail of that ship?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
damian isherwood
Canada
Courtice
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gylthinel wrote:
I think this stuff looks good. I'd kick historic accuracy to the curb, and draw stuff that you enjoy. Who cares if it doesn't look real?

If you are having issues then you need to do what 99% of the artists out there do.....Use reference. This cannot be stressed enough for people who art just starting out. Even seasoned artist use it. There are rules though, and until you understand the rules just draw what you see.

Now thats not to say you can't simplify. Taking your ships (galleons, caravels, what ever)for example. Decide what the main sections of rigging are to display the differences between vessel class(provided you want to make that distinction) different hull types, number of masts etc. Certain things are needed. Just a snot load of ropes may not be so required. But one thing is for sure, there will be people out there that if this game depicts historical elements, they will notice if its inaccurate and bash it. (provided it gets to said audience) Now if this game is to depict fantasy type stuff there is a lot more wiggle room.

just a thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
jmucchiello wrote:

I hope on the one page of additional art assets he has squarish versions of the sail colors so the designers can refer the flags without having to use the "sail" design.

At the very least, there'll be icon versions of those patterns, yeah. I'll package up all the layered PSD files as well, hopefully they'll be useful.

I'm a bit worried that the single page for 'other art' may be a bit restrictive - I was getting carried away with the idea of painting a variety of ship types, but if I do three or four colour versions of each, I'll rapidly run out of space on a single sheet without adding any other graphics (I'm thinking barrels, crates, sacks, chests, maps, cannon and cannonballs at the very least - either resources or weapons/loot).

I realise you want to enforce the game-board parts, but for the 'extra art' part is there any particular need to limit it to a single page? After all, designers will be able to cut and paste freely anyway, so it's not like we expect that single page to necessarily be printable and usable for more than one game anyway.

jmucchiello wrote:

BTW, Shouldn't there be a red chevron on the forward sail of that ship?

Yep! Although looking at it, I'm wondering if it might be better to remove the pattern from all the little forward sails, I'm not sure it reads so well there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Could also make the little forward sail the solid color (not white).

Love the new ships, and am excited that this is one of the prospective game boards - looking really cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Spent my drawin' time this evening on some resource/goods/whatever images - I still have rough sketches for a cannon, some crates, and some sacks, which I'll try and finish off later in the week.

I also gave Val's suggestion of a solid-colour forward sail a go - I think it works pretty well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Really liking the supply cards, and the colors on the front sails look good. Sails look a bit lighter (for lack of better word) now, without that cross bar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Swan
Ireland
Dublin 6
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The art looks fantastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I'm glad you guys are liking it!

Watching some Cracker took precedence this evening, so I only got a couple more resource/whatever pictures done:

So, my to-do list basically goes:

- a few more ship types
- finish the whole game board to a decent standard
- possibly a harbour scene and/or a deck overview for player boards
- various iconography clipart - compass roses, map markings, etc.
- some icons/graphics of the patterns on the sails
- maybe possibly if I'm really feeling like it (I'm no good at faces) some sailor portraits...

Any suggestions of things that I've not mentioned that may be useful?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if we can make suggestions if we are planning to enter the game design competition portion.

But I am liking the counters, and your ideas for the additional ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
JustinKase wrote:
I'm not sure if we can make suggestions if we are planning to enter the game design competition portion.

I would prefer that you didn't but I leave you on your honor not to make suggestions just because it will help you. I like to think the people on these boards will give suggestions that will help the artist first and foremost. So I won't ban it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jmucchiello wrote:
I would prefer that you didn't but I leave you on your honor not to make suggestions just because it will help you. I like to think the people on these boards will give suggestions that will help the artist first and foremost. So I won't ban it.

Fair enough. I just didn't want to cross any lines.

Jake,

What software are you using to create your drawings?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
What software are you using to create your drawings?

Mostly Paint Tool Sai - but I do some of the sketching in Photoshop Elements first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Today I cleaned up a couple of things on the ship I already drew (and added some splash and a wake), and drew another couple of ships - a smaller one and a larger one. I'm sure they have proper nautical terms, but I'm going to call them "small", "regular" and "large" because I don't have a clue what those proper nautical terms are.

And since these images are resized for browsing purposes, here's the actual final resolution of one of them so you can see how big the images are:

...and this is the kind of thing I was going for - I couldn't resist making a prototype. :3

(It turned out pretty badly 'cause most of my PnP stuff is still in a box inside another box after a recent house move. :/)

Having filled out all of the common naval classes (clearly I know my stuff!) I'll skip the less-common types ("really small", "kind of largish" and so on) and consider the ships finished for now, unless I find myself with lots of spare time and a strange urge to paint boats. Next up: the board. Unless I can't face it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What, no dingy? Kidding

The little mock up you made looks fantastic!! Is it just folded at the bottom to make a stand?

The additional ship classes are a wonderful addition, which opens even more possibilities for the 2nd half. The wakes/waves also give the ships more a sense of motion, rather than being at anchor.

Quite inspiring
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would probably go with "sloop" (small vessel), "frigate" (medium-sized), and "galleon" (larger vessel), but there will likely be debate on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
I would probably go with "sloop" (small vessel), "frigate" (medium-sized), and "galleon" (larger vessel), but there will likely be debate on that.

As it goes: 'sloop' was my first thought, but according to Wikipedia-that-always-lies, a civilian sloop has a particular sail configuration which this one definitely doesn't have... although apparently some 'Bermuda Sloops-of-war' were rigged in a similar-ish manner with a single mast. It was actually based on my vague memory of the caravel unit from the first Civilisation videogame (the name of which I'd forgotten until later), but apparently caravels generally have more than one mast.

Frigate is good for me for the middle one, although my reading-around suggests 'corvette' may be more appropriate - I like 'frigate' more myself, mind. 'Galleon' is definitely the kind of thing I was going for with the largest, although to me at least it gives off a bit of an Iberian feel.

Myself, I wasn't planning to particularly name them at all - if a game designer wants to do that later on, it's up to them, but I'll leave the decision-making to them. ;-)

JustinKase wrote:
The little mock up you made looks fantastic!! Is it just folded at the bottom to make a stand?

Yep. If I were making them for real, I'd have scored the fold lines beforehand, and glued them down to a second strip of card beneath the waves of the base to give it stability, but it was really just to see what it looked like standing up on the desk. I folded it in the wrong place, unfortunately - I laminated it with Scotch 'invisible' tape because I have no idea where my laminating stuff is, and it creased along the gap between two tape lines instead of the line I wanted to fold along. :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.