Battlestar Galactica: Exodus Expansion» Forums » Variants

Subject: Minor fix for Cylon Fleet Board rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb

Adding this to the activation rules:

"When activating Cylon ships, if there are ships on the main game board and on the cylon fleet board, activate ships on the board as normal but then also increase the pursuit track by 1"

Pursuit track moves as normal if the main game board is empty and does not move if the cylon fleet board is empty and there are ships on the main game board (ie. they just jumped in)

Planning to use this variant tonight to fix the problem of humans trying to put a few ships on the main board to stop the Cylon Fleet Board arriving. It doesn't seem like it would hurt the humans too much but means Broadcast Location and such are no longer pro-human.

Any obvious problems with it that I don't see?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Vollick
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Situation: Jump Track is at -1, and the Pursuit Track is at 2 Civilians. Cylon ships on both boards. Crisis card has Jump icon.

Cylon Ship activation will bring the whole Cylon Fleet over then the humans jump clearing the main game board.

The order of things has to change, like if the Pursuit track reaches Attack, move all the Cylon Ships over at the end of the turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well that is a corner case and it still means that the fleet is going to arrive at some point since the pursuit track advances as normal after that. The main cases where there would be fleets on both boards is from destinations/broadcast location and from a cylon player using the basestar bridge.

So engineering it so you jump and the pursuit track resets would not be simple and is not much different from the fleet just jumping in then you jumping away (when the MGB is empty)

I could rule it that the extra pursuit track push happens after resolving jump icons but I would prefer if it was kept to the same point of the turn as the activations and kept simple. Will see how it goes and if humans end up trying to achieve such a situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamakaze wrote:
Well that is a corner case and it still means that the fleet is going to arrive at some point since the pursuit track advances as normal after that. The main cases where there would be fleets on both boards is from destinations/broadcast location and from a cylon player using the basestar bridge.

So engineering it so you jump and the pursuit track resets would not be simple and is not much different from the fleet just jumping in then you jumping away (when the MGB is empty)

I could rule it that the extra pursuit track push happens after resolving jump icons but I would prefer if it was kept to the same point of the turn as the activations and kept simple. Will see how it goes and if humans end up trying to achieve such a situation.
Sorry, but wasn't using Broadcast Location to put out a bs to keep the Pursuit track from going up a corner case to begin with? There aren't that many crisis cards that allow humans to draw Treachery. Ellen gets as does Baltar. I'd be more worried about Baltar using his special to draw a Treachery and using the Braodcast Location excuse instead of drawing any other card that would be more practical. Ditto when the "pollies" are playing CP to draw Treachery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
What's not a corner case is Cylon Ambush becoming by far the best Destination in the deck - three distance and an extra bonus of the Pursuit Track being blocked for only one Fuel, and it comes up in every game where anyone gets to see it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
This too shall pass.
badge
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
mbmbmbmbmb
It would have solved the problem we Cylons had in BSG 207, Allan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried it last night and felt pretty good, it only came up once, when a Cylon chose to place ships on the board instead of losing 2 population (Rescue the Fleet I think the crisis was). This really hurt the humans with the CFB full of ships and the game board with ships on and plenty of civilians.

In CFB, the second option basically is a given because of it usually preventing the pursuit track, with this house rule it was more of a decision, though with a Cylon admiral choosing the wrong option, we didn't get to decide much (humans won in the end of a close game)

Definitely going to use this again, and will see what happens if that weird case ever comes up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This idea seems to be thematical, simple and effective and I like it. Could make the game considerably tougher for the humans though, if the pursuit track puts additional civilians on the main board in the middle of a battle.

Allan, please keep the feedback coming how it works out and thanks for posting this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
What's not a corner case is Cylon Ambush becoming by far the best Destination in the deck - three distance and an extra bonus of the Pursuit Track being blocked for only one Fuel, and it comes up in every game where anyone gets to see it.
We're talkin' variants, may as well make this more on the level... have it use 2 Fuel and/or push the Pursuit track up by 1 to 2 spots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan to use this rule in all my future games for what its worth.

Note that when you get the extra pursuit track push it does not spawn a new ship, just pushes the track.

Also this is not really any worse than a random attack card turning up in the middle of a battle in the base game except the humans know it is coming if both boards have ships on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One potential problem with this variant is that it always resets the jump and pursuit track during each jump cycle, making the CFB completely predictable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It does always not reset the pursuit track each cycle. That will only occur if and only if ships are on both boards and the pursuit track is pushed far enough to bring the fleet in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.