Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Dupuis
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is going to be the FAQ thread for all questions that I think need to move out of the Official Spoiler Questions. If you have non-spoilery questions you can ask them here and i'll update this top post with FAQs as they come up.

Don't look at the Questions for a pack unless you have already opened them. There WILL be spoilers hidden in the spoiler tags, so be careful.

Also, as a reminder, keep spoiler questions OUT of this thread. They belong here

General FAQs:

Q: When is the game's release date?
A: We're expecting some of the stores to start getting copies right around Thanksgiving.

Q: I have a question that isn't covered here.
A: If it's a question that could in any way be considered a spoiler, go here and follow the instructions so we don't accidentally spoil anyone. If it's not a spoiler question, feel free to ask it below.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Question:

Are resource cards which players have acquired open, or are they secret information? The rulebook -as far as we could tell (German rulebook)- did not specify.
Without going into spoilers, this matters greatly eventually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Daviau
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Againsto wrote:
Question:

Are resource cards which players have acquired open, or are they secret information? The rulebook -as far as we could tell (German rulebook)- did not specify.
Without going into spoilers, this matters greatly eventually.

Cards, once acquired, are secret information. Although smart players can try to memorize which cards people pick up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. This reply has generated a follow-up question in the Spoiler Thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shepard
Canada
flag msg tools
A couple questions:

-Each HQ held counts as a Star. So this means that players who have not yet won a game on the board begin the game with two Stars (one Star token plus their own HQ). Correct?

-If you're playing with the same people for the first 15 games, it's assumed that players are picking a new faction every game, right? Is there any particular downside to each player sticking with the same faction thru all the games?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Daviau
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Twolf29 wrote:
A couple questions:

-Each HQ held counts as a Star. So this means that players who have not yet won a game on the board begin the game with two Stars (one Star token plus their own HQ). Correct?

Correct. Early games go fast.

Quote:

-If you're playing with the same people for the first 15 games, it's assumed that players are picking a new faction every game, right? Is there any particular downside to each player sticking with the same faction thru all the games?

Thanks!

Some factions are likely to become slightly more powerful than others or, more powerful in the hands of certain people. Other players may want to deny this faction to a certain player. But I'm hearing of quite a few people who want to own a faction all the way through. I'm curious as to whether that works out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shepard
Canada
flag msg tools
Thanks for the response. Maybe we'll give keeping factions between games a try and see how it works out.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Lowder
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When expanding, do you have to leave a troop behind?

Rulebook doesn't say that you do...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Humpert
United States
Dillsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ObiFett wrote:

On page 12, under "If the Defender Has No More Troops in the Territory" section (first paragraph on page) it states:

Risk Legacy Rulebook wrote:
No territory can ever be left abandoned because all the troops moved into a new territory.

Although this is not stated in the "Expanding into Unoccupied Territories" section on page 10, I think it makes the most sense that it applies in this situation as well, as otherwise you could be moving entire armies across the board in the early stages of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Daviau
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ObiFett wrote:

You do. Sorry if that isn't clear. Expanding is just like a attacking except you automatically win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RobDaviau wrote:
Correct. Early games go fast.

Rob mentioned that early games are short. Can you give us an estimate of how long the games take (e.g. perhaps games 1-5 are 30-45 min; games 10-15 are 1.5-2 hours... or something like that)? Obviously our concern is we don't want to be committed to multiple 4+ hour Risk marathons...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Daviau
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
It really depends on the players, the number of players, etc. but my guess is that 4-player games start at about 45 minutes and, after game 15 or so, are more like 90 minutes. But every once in a while you get some outlier in either direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
RobDaviau wrote:
It really depends on the players, the number of players, etc. but my guess is that 4-player games start at about 45 minutes and, after game 15 or so, are more like 90 minutes. But every once in a while you get some outlier in either direction.

We are 5 players who are all quite committed, we are seven games in, and the last games took upward of 90 minutes. We don't mind. It is tight, exciting, tense to watch the tide of battle swing back and forth across the globe. I would expect that fewer players make noticeably shorter games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Shaikewitz
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
When you start the game you only get 8 troops?

So you don't draft territories like in other versions of risk?

Like in 2210 after you pick a starting territory each player starts placing troops one by one in turn order until the board fills up.

Basically when you start your first play of the game there is supposed to be a lot of empty territories?

thanks for any help, trying to understand the rules before we start playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Daviau
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Xknight2099 wrote:
When you start the game you only get 8 troops?

So you don't draft territories like in other versions of risk?

Like in 2210 after you pick a starting territory each player starts placing troops one by one in turn order until the board fills up.

Basically when you start your first play of the game there is supposed to be a lot of empty territories?

thanks for any help, trying to understand the rules before we start playing.

That is correct. This version of Risk has "spawn points" where the players place their starting troops and HQ. There are a lot of empty territories at the start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There is that "30 troop" packet. (don't fret, people, spoiler-free. Really)
We are playing all games with 5 players, which means that up until now no-one has come close to that number of troops, and frankly, I don't see it happening either, whereas I can imagine it happening quite handily in 2-3 player games. Is this intentionally difficult to achieve for 5 players? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Lim
United States
Beaumont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Againsto wrote:
We are playing all games with 5 players, which means that up until now no-one has come close to that number of troops, and frankly, I don't see it happening either, whereas I can imagine it happening quite handily in 2-3 player games. Is this intentionally difficult to achieve for 5 players? Thanks!

Last night we were real close to opening it with 5 people on our 3rd game. One player controlled North America with a +1 bonus (+6 armies) and had a total of 15 population (+5 Armies) and due to a stock piling of resource coins in Northern Europe and Greenland he had +21 Armies in cards for a total of 30 armies. Oh, and he had a missile.

I felt we were trying too move to fast and I made it my goal to bust into North America so we wouldn't open the packet.

30 troops with 5 people can be hard but it all depends on where you put your resource stickers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dupuis
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Againsto wrote:

None of the packets are meant to be intentionally hard for any group. This one depends on playstyle and game length.

In my experience, this is normally one of the last packs to be opened.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Fullenwider
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
I'm not a moccodity!
mbmbmbmbmb
Do unused Scar cards go back into the pool to be redistributed at the start of the next game (if there are enough), or do they stick with players until they finally decide to use them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dupuis
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
maelic001 wrote:
Do unused Scar cards go back into the pool to be redistributed at the start of the next game (if there are enough), or do they stick with players until they finally decide to use them?

They go back in the box at the end of the game; the players do not keep them. When you start the next game, they are redistributed if there are enough for all players to get one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
maelic001 wrote:

MAGIC! I came online to ask this! So we did rule correctly, even though some people were moaning a lot ("had I but known this, I would have played the scar immediately!").

So, different question:
The rule that you may not place your HQ next to another HQ overrules all other rules about legal placement of HQ, yes/no?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dupuis
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Againsto wrote:
maelic001 wrote:

MAGIC! I came online to ask this! So we did rule correctly, even though some people were moaning a lot ("had I but known this, I would have played the scar immediately!").

So, different question:
The rule that you may not place your HQ next to another HQ overrules all other rules about legal placement of HQ, yes/no?

Thanks!

Yes. If someone places an hq in Iceland, no player can place an hq in Great Britain or Greenland, even if they have a major city there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Lim
United States
Beaumont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's one that I just found out after Rob corrected me on my session reports:

You may place a Major City ANYWHERE there isn't another city.

That means you don't have to control that country at the end of the game to place the Major City like you would a Minor City.

If I had known, I would have gone somewhere else. But I think the beauty is that my decision is final and will be always there to remind me that life is a beautiful flower waiting to be crushed by mechs and guys who ride bears.

Hope this saves someone from putting it somewhere they don't particularly want to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
So, a few months down the road, exactly what board game am I left with after the consumables have been consumed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dupuis
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:
So, a few months down the road, exactly what board game am I left with after the consumables have been consumed?

Apotheos' Risk World. As long as you win the most games, otherwise you might be stuck with the world of Bob if your buddy gets to name it!

Seriously though. You'll have your own unique risk board full of stories and strategies you shaped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [13] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.