Popular Tags: [View All]
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
gameguruchris wrote:
apotheos wrote:
So, a few months down the road, exactly what board game am I left with after the consumables have been consumed?

Apotheos' Risk World. As long as you win the most games, otherwise you might be stuck with the world of Bob if your buddy gets to name it!

Seriously though. You'll have your own unique risk board full of stories and strategies you shaped.

Does it run the risk of being crazy broken and lopsided? Or...what? There are so many hints of SPOILERS about that I don't even know what could possibly be modified.

I'm totally getting this game, regardless, I'm just kinda confused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Lim
United States
Beaumont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:
Does it run the risk of being crazy broken and lopsided? Or...what? There are so many hints of SPOILERS about that I don't even know what could possibly be modified.

I'm totally getting this game, regardless, I'm just kinda confused.

As far as Faction powers I think and hope they scale well. I've seen some and they're pretty cool.

I think the map will still be OK even if it's lopsided. I actually tried to make Australia even more powerful than it already is but people usually block me from taking it. I'm sure there will be checks and balances for most things.

Right now in my World, The United States is a very strong continent but it always gets fought over which evens out the lopsidedness.

I think the game will be just fine. If you can get 15 plays out of ANY game it's well worth every penny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Last stupid question: how much of a intention/feature is it to have the same group play over time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:
So, a few months down the road, exactly what board game am I left with after the consumables have been consumed?

To keep your metaphor: The "consumables" are -as per digestive tract- not annihilated but processed. So: you get a board game full of fond memories and moments of shame, which continues to provoke and pose challenges. Replayability is gigantic, as per customization; without spoiling anything, set-up alone is a challenge in its own right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:
Last stupid question: how much of a intention/feature is it to have the same group play over time?

Hardly stupid, BUT depending heavily on personnel. I personally (9 games in) would strongly, strongly encourage having a permanent group. Hey, you can even have everybody chip in 10 bucks for the ride! For my group, we would definitely not play if even one of the five teams couldn't make it. Yes, we have three teams of two and two solo players, because we have 8 players who all want to be IN on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Daviau
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:

Just confirming what was said above. The game was designed that most of the same people would be playing most of the time. There's an ongoing narrative that works better if people were there earlier. But we knew it wouldn't always be possible so the game supports drop in players just fine. I think the only way it doesn't really work well is if you have completely new players every game, but that would be hard to do (and why it is tough to demo at a convention).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does expanding into unoccupied territory count as a successful conquest in terms of getting to draw a resource card at the end of your turn? Or do you have to take a territory from another player in order to qualify to take a resource card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Daviau
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
TwentySides wrote:
Does expanding into unoccupied territory count as a successful conquest in terms of getting to draw a resource card at the end of your turn? Or do you have to take a territory from another player in order to qualify to take a resource card?

The latter. Unless you have some sort of power, you only get a card by taking at least one territory from another player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Shaikewitz
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
I thought I saw this somewhere (rules or here)

How does timing for scars work? If attacker wants to play ammo shortage and defender wants to play bunker ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
6 59 4 14 3 64
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xknight2099 wrote:
I thought I saw this somewhere (rules or here)

How does timing for scars work? If attacker wants to play ammo shortage and defender wants to play bunker ?
The first player to indicate. If tied or questionable, the order is Current player, Defender (if applicable), all others clockwise from Current. I plan to recommend to my group that the attacker say "I'm attacking X with a scar" if he doesn't want to lose an argument about scar priority. See grey box on pg. 8 for the text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dvonn Yinsh
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
When does one fill in one of the ten boxes of a fortified city?

Eg. Territory A is fortified. Territory B attacks with 3 dice. There are say 4 rolls (each time with 3 dice) but A is not conquered. So one box is filled in? The attacker then switches to attacking A from Territory C, again with 3 dice. Let say he tries twice but unsuccessful. Does A receive another mark in its fortification? And if the attacker switches back to attacking A from B, will A incur another mark?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dupuis
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
candoo wrote:
When does one fill in one of the ten boxes of a fortified city?

Eg. Territory A is fortified. Territory B attacks with 3 dice. There are say 4 rolls (each time with 3 dice) but A is not conquered. So one box is filled in? The attacker then switches to attacking A from Territory C, again with 3 dice. Let say he tries twice but unsuccessful. Does A receive another mark in its fortification? And if the attacker switches back to attacking A from B, will A incur another mark?

You fill in a mark after each battle/attack.

If I attacked your fortified city with 3 troops, rolled the dice, dealt with the result, attacked again with 3 troops and called it a day, that would be two attacks. 2 of the spots on your fortification would be worn down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dvonn Yinsh
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So then one marks it up after every dice roll?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dupuis
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
candoo wrote:
So then one marks it up after every dice roll?

As long as 3 attacking troops were used, yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Shaikewitz
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
What happens to the one coin cards when you spend them?

Do they go into the same discard pile as the country cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Daviau
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Xknight2099 wrote:
What happens to the one coin cards when you spend them?

Do they go into the same discard pile as the country cards?

No, they go back on top of the coin card pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Carlile
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Does the fortificaton reductions only work with exactly 3 attackers or 3 and more?
Also, when in first game-say with 3 players, if someone does not use their bunker/ammo shortage scar, does that player carry it over and own it for next game, or are new scars given out for each new game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rowe
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you open the packet that says "OPEN WHEN ONE PERSON GETS TO SIGN THE BOARD FOR A SECOND TIME" whenever the same player wins a second game? Or, since we all signed the back of the board before the first game, should the winner of the first game have opened that packet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dupuis
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Grumblygrew wrote:
Does the fortificaton reductions only work with exactly 3 attackers or 3 and more?
Also, when in first game-say with 3 players, if someone does not use their bunker/ammo shortage scar, does that player carry it over and own it for next game, or are new scars given out for each new game?

Whenever you attack, you roll 1 2 or 3 dice to represent the units participating in THAT battle. Even if you have 30 guys in a territory the max that can participate is 3. So as long as the attacker is rolling 3 dice, the fortification will break down a bit.

The player does not carry their scar with them; it goes back into the box. If there are enough scars at the start of the next game for each player to have one, they are dealt back out (1 per player). If not, they stay in the box till that requirement is fulfilled (i.e. more scars cards are introduced.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dupuis
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SquirrelsUnite wrote:
Do you open the packet that says "OPEN WHEN ONE PERSON GETS TO SIGN THE BOARD FOR A SECOND TIME" whenever the same player wins a second game? Or, since we all signed the back of the board before the first game, should the winner of the first game have opened that packet?

It's when someone has won for a second time, not the first. Good question though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Carlile
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
How many turns does expansion at the beginning of each game take? Am I right in thinking that it is like battles but without the dice, as many troops as you want expand into adjacent region/s.

I am finding it difficult to envisage fighting in the first round.
If players have placed HQ's far away from each other, say Peru, Australia, upper Asia area, then there are many free regions inbetween. and presumably one will receive 3 troops at the start of their turn, place in HQ region and move into as many adjacenet areas as they wish. So I could expand from A (hq) into B with 10 troops, then B into C, (perhaps with 9) and then C into D etc. Am I right in thinking I can do all this on first move. However I might leave 1 or 2 or 3 in regions, comparitively weak, and easy targets so allowing others to battle and collect a resource card easily. Or realising this, do players only move 1 region with 5 or 6 troops per turn, slow and steady and hence taking 4 or 5 turns. Surely most games will go the latter way until opposing armies sit adjacent to each other on the board.
Ta David. have I got this right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dupuis
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
David, please do not create a new thread for a question, then post the same question here.

Expansion time is variable based on the location of HQs and cities. Battles break out before the world is completely explored.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Carlile
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Sorry Chris-I'll keep to this one. Thanks for expansion help but am I right in thinking that on early/first turn a player can enter as many empty regions as he/she wants, like battles. So say move 7 from HQ into next door, then 6 from newly conquered into another adjacent, and then 5 etc.
Theoretically I could have say 5, 6, 7 regions in first turn. Ta

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dupuis
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. You expand by moving any number of troops into an adjacent empty territory. You must leave 1 in the origin territory though. So yes, on turn 1 you could stretch yourself really thin and grab 7 territories that don't have cities in them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessie Dioquino
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
1. Scars. If a scar sticker is already on the country, can you play your scar card? Would you get the effect and keep the card to use it again? Would you get the effect and remove the scar from the game (but still use the scar next game because you didn't remove the sticker?)

Or can you only play scars on unscarred territories?

2. Ok. In the "attack and expand" phase. Southern africa has 80 units. I own every country from there to alaska, one unit on each of them. Connected. In my attack and expand phase, I can move 79 units from south africa to alaska? then attack with them? i can do this multiple times from different countries, as much as i want?

3. in the movement phase, same thing. I can move 79 units from south africa to alaska, as I own all area inbetween, directly connecting them? in this phase I can only do this movement once? after moving from south africa from alaska I can't move units from western america to western europe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [13] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.