Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
6 59 3 44 4 14
badge
mbmbmb
1. Scars tend to specify that they must be played on unscarred locations.

2. No. During attack, you may only move troops to an adjacent territory that you do not control.

3. Yes to all. Any number of troops between any two connected territories, but only one such move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessie Dioquino
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
1) I have 10 units on A, send 5 into B, [do some other attacks elsewhere], and regret my decision as I should have sent all 9 into B. I'd have to wait until attack and expand is over to send units from one country I own into another country I own?

2) I can constantly expand in a line in new countries, but during expand and attack can't move troops through my own countries? like say, I have 2 troops in every country in asia. in expand and attack, I move one unit from each country in asia all onto one country, then attack someone with them.

3) instead, I have two units in every country in asia. in one maneuver phase, I move one unit to a country A [that i own and am connected to], then next turn, in maneuver, I move another unit to that country A, then next next turn, in maneuver, I move another unit to country A, etc?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PikaPuff wrote:
1) I have 10 units on A, send 5 into B, [do some other attacks elsewhere], and regret my decision as I should have sent all 9 into B. I'd have to wait until attack and expand is over to send units from one country I own into another country I own?
yeah, unless something allows you to do so you only get to redeploy once at the end of your turn.
Quote:
2) I can constantly expand in a line in new countries, but during expand and attack can't move troops through my own countries? like say, I have 2 troops in every country in asia. in expand and attack, I move one unit from each country in asia all onto one country, then attack someone with them.
the only time that you're normally allowed to move troops between your territories is in a redeployment.
Quote:
3) instead, I have two units in every country in asia. in one maneuver phase, I move one unit to a country A [that i own and am connected to], then next turn, in maneuver, I move another unit to that country A, then next next turn, in maneuver, I move another unit to country A, etc?
You normally only get one redeployment per turn..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
6 59 3 44 4 14
badge
mbmbmb
PikaPuff wrote:

As per Mar above, yes to all. Note that this is basically the same as standard Risk rules (except that standard Risk further limits the Maneuver phase to one move between adjacent territories).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lomn wrote:
PikaPuff wrote:

As per Mar above, yes to all. Note that this is basically the same as standard Risk rules (except that standard Risk further limits the Maneuver phase to one move between adjacent territories).
Legacy has that too. One of Saharan republic's possible starting powers is to be able to redeploy even if not connected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith
United States
Magnolia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding powers that modify higher or lower dice (like the bunker scar or one of the bear factions starting powers), there is some confusion on how these modifiers work with single die.

The debate here is some feel that since there is only one die, it can neither lower or higher, so the power doesn't apply. Others think that it is both at the same time, so any or all powers can apply, even simultaneously.

I'm in the latter group, but not completely sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drtaco wrote:
Regarding powers that modify higher or lower dice (like the bunker scar or one of the bear factions starting powers), there is some confusion on how these modifiers work with single die.

The debate here is some feel that since there is only one die, it can neither lower or higher, so the power doesn't apply. Others think that it is both at the same time, so any or all powers can apply, even simultaneously.

group a sounds like rules lawyers....

I'm with B. If there's only one, then that die is both highest and lowest simultaneously. It's the same as if you get doubles. You choose which die to use it on. Except here there is only one to choose from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
6 59 3 44 4 14
badge
mbmbmb
marhawkman wrote:
lomn wrote:
...Note that this is basically the same as standard Risk rules (except that standard Risk further limits the Maneuver phase to one move between adjacent territories).
Legacy has that too. One of Saharan republic's possible starting powers is to be able to redeploy even if not connected.
You misunderstand. In standard Risk, the Maneuver equivalent would allow a redeployment from Eastern Australia to either Western Australia or New Guinea (the adjacent territories) and no farther. Saharan's "not connected" maneuver is indeed useful, but all maneuvers in Legacy are vastly more powerful than in standard Risk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
6 59 3 44 4 14
badge
mbmbmb
marhawkman wrote:
Drtaco wrote:

I'm with B. If there's only one, then that die is both highest and lowest simultaneously. It's the same as if you get doubles. You choose which die to use it on. Except here there is only one to choose from.
Concur. Would group A similarly argue that a Fortification is ignored in the case of one defender die since you can't boost "both"? Madness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lomn wrote:
marhawkman wrote:
lomn wrote:
...Note that this is basically the same as standard Risk rules (except that standard Risk further limits the Maneuver phase to one move between adjacent territories).
You misunderstand. In standard Risk, the Maneuver equivalent would allow a redeployment from Eastern Australia to either Western Australia or New Guinea (the adjacent territories) and no farther. Saharan's "not connected" maneuver is indeed useful, but all maneuvers in Legacy are vastly more powerful than in standard Risk.
Hmm... when did they start using the new version? I know I've seen it a few times before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
6 59 3 44 4 14
badge
mbmbmb
I'm working off a 1998 copy. I have vague memories of prior rules being different, but I don't trust my childhood memories on something that nitpicky and I don't have that copy on hand any more (though a buddy has it now; I'll see what I can dig up there).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lomn wrote:
I'm working off a 1998 copy. I have vague memories of prior rules being different, but I don't trust my childhood memories on something that nitpicky and I don't have that copy on hand any more (though a buddy has it now; I'll see what I can dig up there).
Hmm, well the rulebook for Risk 2210 has that. Risk 2210 is normally played with maneuvers between any two connected territories, but in the back of the book it has instructions for how to play classic risk with the Risk2210 peices and mentions that in Classic Risk it must be an adjacent territory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JoeyNine
United States
iselin
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My old 90's version of Risk had both options for maneuvers. The movement had to be to an adjacent territory in the standard game, but they had "Advanced Rules" for moving them throughout connected territories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith
United States
Magnolia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marhawkman wrote:

It was actually the player controlling the enclave faction (commonly known as the "damn dirty green bear people" in our group) trying to be nice. He felt that their power was too powerful, so he only used it when there were two dice. But in a later game when someone else controlled them, and the power was used against him, he brought up this rule, thus the debate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
either way.... when there's one possibility that number is still lowest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Stenson
msg tools
I am not sure if you guys came to the conclusion that as stated on page 12 "How to maneuver: take as many troops as you'd like from one of your territories and move them to one other connected territory. Territories are considered connected if all of the territories in between are also controlled by you." I believe this makes the Saharan Republic's ability to maneuver anytime during their turn much better then maneuvering between unconnected territories. So far our group is on game 4 and we are loving it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maneuvering during your turn is more useful when you change your plan mid-turn because of soemthing unexpected(like a bunker scar). Maneuvering to unconnected spaces is good when your forces are seperated (either by your choice or as a result of enemy action)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Shaikewitz
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
Here's a few questions:

1. If a player is forced to respawn does he keep any unused scar and missiles?

2. If a player is eliminated (can't respawn) and has an unused missle and/or scar would the player that did the elimination get those?

3. If the defender rolls a 6 and 3 when defending a city with a bunker does the 3 get the +1 since the 6 can't?

Thanks for any help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessie Dioquino
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
Ok so when counting in the recruit troops phase, all you count is countries and the city stickers and that's it?

We've played 6 games so far counting countries and troops for the /3 number...

So basically no matter what, your first turn is under 12, probably just 1, which translates into 3 recruited troops?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Daviau
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Answering a bunch of questions at once:

1. When rolling only one defense die, all scars and fortification bonuses/penalties still apply

2. When you knock someone out, you only get their resource cards. They keep anything else, like missiles and scars. If they rejoin the war, they get to use these.

3. Yes, your first few turns are likely to just be 3 troops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Daviau
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Xknight2099 wrote:
Here's a few questions:

3. If the defender rolls a 6 and 3 when defending a city with a bunker does the 3 get the +1 since the 6 can't?

Thanks for any help.

Nope. In this case, the bunker has no effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Stenson
msg tools
Can an HQ ever be left without troops?

And what happens to an HQ if for some reason there are no troops with it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
some game effects can kill of the troops on an HQ. In that case it's an empty sector with an unclaimed HQ in it. The HQ just sits there until someone occupies it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Shaikewitz
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
If a player respawns do you still get there resource cards or is it only if you eliminate them from the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Stenson
msg tools
You get them as soon as you Knock them out.

Can you come back on your HQ or another players if it is abandoned? Since this is not a city or a scar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [13] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.