Risk Legacy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Official Non spoiler Questions and FAQ rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shrigrak wrote:
You get them as soon as you Knock them out.

Can you come back on your HQ or another players if it is abandoned? Since this is not a city or a scar.
A territory with an HQ but no units is considered occupied but not controlled. You can only respawn in a legal starting territory. Those must Unoccupied as well as un marked. There's no rule against respawning one territory away from an HQ then expanding into it. NOTE: apparently you CAN respawn in a Major city as long as you founded the city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David More
msg tools
I've got a question regarding DIE MECHANIKER's starting ability that lets his HQ territory act as though it is Fortified.

First, does this property stack with the Bunker scar? In essence, does it make the defenders highest roll +2 and second roll +1?

Second, does the Fortified effect persist regardless of how many attacks by an army of 3 transpire? Or do you keep a side-tally of the attacks and discount the ability once its "health" is depleted?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1: I think so, but remember that it cannot enhance the die to be above a 6.

2: yes, it is always fortified

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the start of a game, the rules state that everyone picks a legal territory and dumps their HQ and 8 dudes into it. Once the first round starts, does everyone still get reinforcements, so that you're actually starting with 11 guys and not 8?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Daviau
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Rockox wrote:
At the start of a game, the rules state that everyone picks a legal territory and dumps their HQ and 8 dudes into it. Once the first round starts, does everyone still get reinforcements, so that you're actually starting with 11 guys and not 8?

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Question re: trading ressources for troops.
The rulebook (German) is slightly unspecific - are you only allowed to trade in one set of cards for troops, or could you group your cards to gain two batches? I know, I know, why would you? Well, last game one player wanted to, as it did make spoilerific sense for him, but we nixed this idea. What say you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
what do you mean by "one set"? more than 10 coins worth of cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
marhawkman wrote:
what do you mean by "one set"? more than 10 coins worth of cards?

For the sake of avoiding spoilers, let me simply say "yes". Imagine someone had cards worth 13 coins, could they trade in a 6 and a 7 set?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Daviau
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Only one set for troops per turn. Although you could hold some back for future turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Jones
msg tools
Sorry, this question was asked, but I didn't understand the answer.

I have a fortified city with a bunker scar on it.

How does that effect my defense rolls?

Say I roll a 4 and a 3.
Does that mean the 4 is modified to a 6 and the 3 stays the same.
OR the 4 becomes a 5 and the 3 becomes a 4?

Essentially, how do the foritifications stack?

(ADDITIONALLY, to complicate things further... what if I have the DIE MECHANIKER's starting ability that lets his HQ territory act as though it is Fortified. Then the territory also has a fortified city AND a bunker scar. Now how do I modify the defense die?)

(+3 to the highest?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
6 59 4 14 3 64
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Modifiers are cumulative. So in the case of a territory that is Fortified and has a Bunker, the defender adds +1 to the higher (Fort), +1 to the lower (Fort), and +1 to the higher (Bunker). A 4,3 therefore becomes a 6,4.

Mechaniker's Fortification power and a Fortification sticker, however, do not stack. The territory is either Fortified or it is not. Similarly, a single defender in a Fortified territory adds only 1 to his roll for the Fortification. While the single die is both highest (for Bunker-type purposes) and lowest (for Enclave-type purposes), it is still only one die and so benefits only once from the Fortification.

Missiles may be applied after all the automatic modifiers are applied, so the defender in your example could spend a single missile to raise his final roll to 6,6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Jones
msg tools
Ooh, I need to go back and re-read the rules on fortifications.

So, a fortification gives +1 on both defense dice, not just the highest?

eg. A territory is fortified and has a bunker scar. I roll one die. It is a 3. Does it become a 5?

(I think I understand that it if also had Mechaniker's Fortification power, the territory is only fortified once.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
correct.
correct.
correct. I think it's why it's worded that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If an area has a Major City and another scar, and I am legally allowed to place my HQ in an area with a Major City (say, because I founded it), may I still place the HQ in that area *despite there being a scar*? The rulebook (German) is not explicit on the matter; but it does emphasize that a scar ("Manko" in German, somewhat ineptly chosen) makes an area ineligible for HQ placement. Does one or the other take precedence?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
6 59 4 14 3 64
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The major city takes priority. You may start in an unmarked territory OR a territory with a major city you founded.

Note, though, that "unmarked" includes both scars and cities. You may not start in a territory with a minor city (perhaps this clarifies the German terminology).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
lomn wrote:
The major city takes priority. You may start in an unmarked territory OR a territory with a major city you founded.

Note, though, that "unmarked" includes both scars and cities. You may not start in a territory with a minor city (perhaps this clarifies the German terminology).

Thanks, that clarifies it. That means, of course, that we played wrongly for ~10 games. Awkward! AND it leads to a follow up in the spoiler thread...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Jones
msg tools
Can I start in a minor city that I founded?

Can I start in a minor city that I founded that also has a scar on it (bunker, ammo shortage, etc.)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
getgone wrote:

Can I start in a minor city that I founded that also has a scar on it (bunker, ammo shortage, etc.)?

Neither, since minor cities do not record which player has founded them - only major cities have their founder's initials written next to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
6 59 4 14 3 64
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
getgone wrote:

no and no, but not for the above reason. You may only start in an unmarked territory or a territory with a major city you founded. Cities are marks (see the definitions pages), and so make a territory ineligible for starting. You're free to write on the board as desired, though, so notation has no bearing on legal starting territories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aaron belmer
United States
Webster Groves
St Louis
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, a few really stupid questions, but just wanted to triple check:

(1) whoever occupies the city at the beginning of their turn gets the bonus. Assuming yes.

So if Paul starts his HQ in his major city, and I occupy it, not only do a get a virtual red star, and a resource card (of his), I also get + 2 troops because of his major city.

(2) Do I get one resource per county I take over on my turn? So if I take over 3 different countries on my turn, do I get 3 resources, or only one for my turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zenmazster wrote:
Ok, a few really stupid questions, but just wanted to triple check:

(1) whoever occupies the city at the beginning of their turn gets the bonus. Assuming yes.

So if Paul starts his HQ in his major city, and I occupy it, not only do a get a virtual red star, and a resource card (of his), I also get + 2 troops because of his major city.

No, you get +2 to whatever your territory total is, and then divide by 3. A territory with a Major City on it technically counts as 3 territories for determining your reinforcements/recruiting.

zenmazster wrote:
(2) Do I get one resource per county I take over on my turn? So if I take over 3 different countries on my turn, do I get 3 resources, or only one for my turn?

You only get one resource card per turn, and only if you conquered (attacked an enemy and eliminated him from the territory) at least one territory on your turn. The only non-spoilery exception is Imperial Balkania's second starting power which lets him get a resource card if he peacefully expands into at least 4 territories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
6 59 4 14 3 64
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zenmazster wrote:
The above response is all correct, but I wanted to specifically point out the bolded part for clarity: You only get one Resource card per turn, and only if you've conquered a territory from an opponent on that turn (barring particular exceptions spelled out elsewhere). There is no particular card-based bonus for capturing an enemy HQ, and certainly no card-based bonus on an ongoing basis.

However, if you knock out an opponent (that is, defeat his final troop on the board -- whether or not you control his HQ), you may claim all of his held resource cards (in addition to the usual 1 per turn).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Quearry
United States
Saint Petersburg
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a question and I know it sounds silly. Say I take 3 troop attackers (from a territory with 7 troops) into a territory with 1 defender. The opponent successfully takes me down to 1 attacker over the course of the attack. A) Can I retreat and suspend the attack and pull my attacker back? (Would this end all my attacks? Or would I be able to attack the same territory with a fresh group of 3 troops)
B) Continue on with the attack 1 vs 1?
or C) Can I reinforce the 1 attacker with 2 more troops from the previous territory?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vidarim wrote:
Have a question and I know it sounds silly. Say I take 3 troop attackers (from a territory with 7 troops) into a territory with 1 defender. The opponent successfully takes me down to 1 attacker over the course of the attack. A) Can I retreat and suspend the attack and pull my attacker back? (Would this end all my attacks? Or would I be able to attack the same territory with a fresh group of 3 troops)
B) Continue on with the attack 1 vs 1?
or C) Can I reinforce the 1 attacker with 2 more troops from the previous territory?

Each attack roll is atomic; after each one is resolved, you can decide to attack again (using up to 3 but no more than n-1 troops from the attacking territory), or withdraw.

It's easier to comprehend if you don't bother moving the 1,2, or 3 troops from the attacking territory into the defending territory before the roll. Just state where you're attacking from and where you're attacking into, and state the number of dice(troops) you're rolling. Then the defender states how many dice they'll roll (1 or 2, but no more than the number of troops in their territory).

After casualties are removed from the roll, you can stop, or initiate another attack ANYWHERE you're eligible. You could attack the same way again, switch to attacking the same territory from a different territory, attack another territory entirely, etc. The only rule to abide by is you must always have as many troops as the number of dice you roll, and you may never attack with ALL of the troops in your territory because you must leave one behind if you are victorious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Stenstroem
Sweden
flag msg tools
When you've played the game 15 times and everything is set - how does anyone get any new missiles?

E.g. how does new players (after 15 rounds) get any missiles?

I guess there is an answer hiding in one of the hidden compartments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [13] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.