United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
6 59 4 14 3 64
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tobnac wrote:
When you've played the game 15 times and everything is set - how does anyone get any new missiles?

E.g. how does new players (after 15 rounds) get any missiles?

I guess there is an answer hiding in one of the hidden compartments.
Well, as this is the non-spoiler thread, the answer is as follows:

After 15 games, things like missile allocations are fixed. Players are still going to get their missiles (or bonus Red Star) at the start of each game, but that distribution of missiles (or Red Stars) is not going to change.

If you want a spoilery answer about other pockets and such, try the official spoiler thread. My considered opinion, though, is that the two spare missiles are just a function of having space to play with on the punch board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Stenstroem
Sweden
flag msg tools
Merry Christmas to you all - and a quick question: If another player places a HQ next to a major city founded by me then I'm not permitted to place MY HQ in that major city, right?

In other words, the rule about HQ-placement supercedes the rule about placing your HQ in a major city, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
6 59 4 14 3 64
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. Of course, if you can contrive to stick a Minor City in every territory adjacent to your Major City....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis "Moped" Sell
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
I for one welcome our new computer overlords.
badge
I salute my brother and sister Navy Nukes. Nuking it is the right way to do it!
mbmbmbmbmb
lomn wrote:
Correct. Of course, if you can contrive to stick a Minor City in every territory adjacent to your Major City....

I actually made myself a little compound of a city, with scars and cities and everything else to isolate my starting position.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe O'Donnell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for creating this non-spoiler thread!

1. When you turn in 4 resource cards for a Star, can they be Coin cards too? Doesn't seem to be anything indicating you can't since they're technically resource cards as well, right? However, we played that you couldn't. Seemed too easy to get stars that way (at least in the first three games we played).

2. Speaking of coins, we didn't realize that coins got placed back onto the coin deck after use. And this actually lead to my first victory by giving me a star for most territories (oops!). Of course if that's the case then it seems this would hardly ever happen except in 5 player games or if you had a lot of hoarders. Is that right?

2. Regarding the Saharan faction's multiple maneuvers ability. Besides non-connectivity, are there any other restrictions? Seems like we could move around to our heart's content. A to B attack; B to C attack; D to E attack; F to G move; etc, etc till you have no more troops to move. (Letters represent controlled territories that are connected)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oldpear wrote:
1. When you turn in 4 resource cards for a Star, can they be Coin cards too? Doesn't seem to be anything indicating you can't since they're technically resource cards as well, right? However, we played that you couldn't. Seemed too easy to get stars that way (at least in the first three games we played).

Coin cards are resource cards, as they also have the same backs as territory cards. If players are earning them too easily, perhaps your borders should be better defended

oldpear wrote:
2. Speaking of coins, we didn't realize that coins got placed back onto the coin deck after use. And this actually lead to my first victory by giving me a star for most territories (oops!). Of course if that's the case then it seems this would hardly ever happen except in 5 player games or if you had a lot of hoarders. Is that right?

It depends on whether you can claim any of the faceup territories, which are always preferable to coin cards in a number of ways (some spoilerish, some not).

oldpear wrote:
2. Regarding the Saharan faction's multiple maneuvers ability. Besides non-connectivity, are there any other restrictions? Seems like we could move around to our heart's content. A to B attack; B to C attack; D to E attack; F to G move; etc, etc till you have no more troops to move. (Letters represent controlled territories that are connected)

You can attack and expand from anywhere you have more than 1 troop, and can do it until you want to stop or you have no multi-troop territories left.

Sahara's abilities have to do with the end-of-turn Maneuver (aka redeployment in original Risk), where you can move any number of troops from 1 territory to another territory you control, provided that they are connected by a chain of territories you control.

Option A lets you do this in the middle of your turn instead so you can perform more attacks and expansions afterwards.

Option B lets you perform your end-of-turn Maneuver between two territories even if they are not connected by a chain of territories you control. This can be helpful if someone penetrates your zone of influence and causes one or more territories to be "cut off" from your main forces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
6 59 4 14 3 64
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Further clarifying on Saharan's starting powers:

Maneuver is a once and only once per turn option, even with Saharan's powers. If you're using the "move during your turn" power, that means a move during your attacks prevents you from moving after your attacks. That's a key restriction on moving around.

Also a minor additional bit on taking coin cards:

Being able to claim territory cards is nearly always better, but it's also important to note that you must take a territory card instead of a coin card if you're able; you cannot preferentially take a coin card to trigger that Red Star award.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe O'Donnell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lomn wrote:
Further clarifying on Saharan's starting powers:
Maneuver is a once and only once per turn option, even with Saharan's powers. If you're using the "move during your turn" power, that means a move during your attacks prevents you from moving after your attacks. That's a key restriction on moving around.

I see! That makes sense. A little too overpowered otherwise.

Further regarding my first point, does anyone else think this would make a good house rule? i.e. restrict using coin cards for stars. I feel it made people more likely to try and take the key territories and less likely to take a territory just to get a card. And of course made it just plain harder to get a cheap star (but not too hard really). Of course, once we start opening packets that dynamic may change a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
6 59 4 14 3 64
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oldpear wrote:
Further regarding my first point, does anyone else think this would make a good house rule? i.e. restrict using coin cards for stars. I feel it made people more likely to try and take the key territories and less likely to take a territory just to get a card. And of course made it just plain harder to get a cheap star (but not too hard really). Of course, once we start opening packets that dynamic may change a bit.
Not really. Forfeiting troops to get that star is already a fairly substantial penalty, and you're not collecting cards all that quickly unless you're KOing other players.

Additionally, if you're stuck getting coin cards instead of territory cards, you've already been shortchanged on troop trade-in potential.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Sousa
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So there is only a finite number of scar cards. If there aren't enough scar cards to give one to each player at the beginning of the game, no one gets one. This means that there's a good chance that after we've opened all the packs, and played as many games with scars as we can, there are going to be some scars which will never get played, and will just have to permanently sit there in the box unused. That seems like a shame, because without spoiling, some of them are quite interesting and if they never get played the game will be less interesting.

Is there some way around that problem? We've come up with one potential way to get the scars in play, but it's a very minor spoiler.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis "Moped" Sell
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Play strategically as a group. Let's say when you open your last pack, you have 7 scars and you are a five player group. The first game, only play 2 scars, then play all 5 next game. Otherwise, yes, your game will uniquely have some scars unplayed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
6 59 4 14 3 64
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you've opened everything and you're down to the final few scar cards, I think there are plenty of simple non-controversial ways to distribute them. Flip coins, roll dice, thumb wrestle, draft order, reverse draft order, bidding starting armies, paying for pizza, anything.

There are plenty of rules about unused content (such as the starting faction powers) that are specifically intended to prevent you from using everything. My impression of the scar distribution rule is not one of content denial, merely content delay. Once it's clear that further delay doesn't change anything, I'd go ahead and use them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
6 59 4 14 3 64
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have compiled the non-spoiler questions from this thread and most rules threads into a FAQ on the wiki, since we're starting to see more repetition as the thread gets longer. Similar FAQs for the various packets might also be good (consolidating specific threads with relevant content from the master spoiler thread), but since I haven't opened most of the packets, I won't be charging into that task immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Stenstroem
Sweden
flag msg tools
lomn wrote:
I have compiled the non-spoiler questions from this thread and most rules threads into a FAQ on the wiki...

Great. This is really nice of you.

By the way, will there be an official FAQ-page at some point? Maybe one of the designers would care to answer? Although I must say that the rules are extremely well written and very hard to misunderstand.

Furthermore, I must comment on the good tone and the nice way of answering all questions. I'm active on other game forums where the conduct and etiquette is radically different from this forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Stenstroem
Sweden
flag msg tools
When do you actually flip over the first four territory cards? It seems wrong to do it prior to choosing your starting territory. I think we have played it wrong, since the last thing we do before the first player takes his first turn is to reveal the four first territories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
6 59 4 14 3 64
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tobnac wrote:
When do you actually flip over the first four territory cards? It seems wrong to do it prior to choosing your starting territory.
The rulebook discusses setting up the sideboard (including flipping the territory cards), distributing stars or missiles, and distributing scar cards all before selecting a faction or starting territory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How the heck do you pronounce Die Mekaniker?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rockox wrote:

Dee Meh-kahn-ih-ker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Am I a man or am I a muppet? If I'm a muppet then I'm a very manly muppet!
mbmbmbmbmb
Rockox wrote:

Evil Robots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Am I a man or am I a muppet? If I'm a muppet then I'm a very manly muppet!
mbmbmbmbmb
lomn wrote:
Tobnac wrote:
When do you actually flip over the first four territory cards? It seems wrong to do it prior to choosing your starting territory.
The rulebook discusses setting up the sideboard (including flipping the territory cards), distributing stars or missiles, and distributing scar cards all before selecting a faction or starting territory.

Related Question: when Mission Cards enter the game, is the Mission revealed before selecting factions or starting territories?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gamemark wrote:
Related Question: when Mission Cards enter the game, is the Mission revealed before selecting factions or starting territories?

All of the sideboard is setup before any dice rolling to determine order is performed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Punter
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick question re: scars.

Can you play a scar anywhere on the board provided you play it prior to an attacking roll? I got dealt a bunker in the 3rd game following my 1st win so figured I'd play it on my major city that I'd founded on the first attack of the game.

There doesn't seem to be any part of the card that says the scar has to be played on a territory that's involved in the attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Gardiner
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hobbess wrote:

Can you play a scar anywhere on the board provided you play it prior to an attacking roll? I got dealt a bunker in the 3rd game following my 1st win so figured I'd play it on my major city that I'd founded on the first attack of the game.

There doesn't seem to be any part of the card that says the scar has to be played on a territory that's involved in the attack.

You have to play a bunker on a "defending territory", so you can play that as soon as someone attacks your city. But Bunkers and Ammo Shortages can't just be played anywhere. So, no, it is not as easy to double-up on one territory as you think it is.

Much easier to have played the scar earlier as part of normal play and then realize it is the perfect place for your Major City once you win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis "Moped" Sell
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hobbess wrote:

Not True. From the Bunker card (A58s to be over-detailed):

The Bunker Card wrote:
You may play this card prior to an attack roll.

Place this bunker scar onto the defending territory as long as it's unscarred.

Play close attention to the text in the canary yellow highlight. It will always point the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Punter
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grantor wrote:

You have to play a bunker on a "defending territory", so you can play that as soon as someone attacks your city. But Bunkers and Ammo Shortages can't just be played anywhere. So, no, it is not as easy to double-up on one territory as you think it is.

Much easier to have played the scar earlier as part of normal play and then realize it is the perfect place for your Major City once you win.

OK makes sense, I should have read more carefully. My city did get attacked a little later in the game so I'd have still been able to do the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [13] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.