14 Posts

Mansions of Madness» Forums » General

Subject: What are the best and worst scenarios? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Bello
United States
flag msg tools
I just got this game and was wondering what people think are the scenarios to play, and the scenarios to avoid?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, the best are Fall of House Lynch and Blood Ties.

The worst (which most people seem to be in agreement on) is Classroom Curses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Other Tom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played most of them and I would have to say Season of the Witch is my favorite thus far mainly because it felt really balanced for the most part.

From the base game I like the story of Green Eyed Boy, but it is a very tricky one for the investigators. I personally find them all worth playing though.

Only scenario I haven't liked yet is Blood Ties, it felt pretty broken for the most part. That may have just been from the scenario we chose out of the three though.

I have yet to play The Silver Tablet or 'Til Death Do Us Part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
I'm planning on writing up a more extensive scenario-by-scenario analysis next week, but in short:

Scenario 1: The Fall of House Lynch is excellent, and is definitely the best place to start an inexperienced group.

Scenario 2: The Inner Sanctum is pretty decent.

Scenario 3: Blood Ties is excellent; one of the objectives is unfortunately an autowin for the Keeper if the Keeper is intelligent, but the scenario is good enough to make up for that with the other two objectives.

Scenario 4: Classroom Curses is pretty terrible. Event 3 gives away the objective, and the scenario is centered around the very boring Darkness Keeper Action.

Scenario 5: Green-Eyed Boy is interesting but has severe balance issues; the objectives are unique but vary ridiculously in difficulty, and Witchcraft is just an annoying card for both sides (the Keeper doesn't like that it often does absolutely nothing and the Witches don't persist, and the Investigators don't like that Witches pop up all over and there's no point killing them).

POD Scenario 1: Season of the Witch is decent, though with significant design flaws, including a random instakill with no warning.

POD Scenario 2: The Silver Tablet is awful. Every objective is the same, the only thing that matters at all is how quickly the clue-hunter can move, it's heavily stacked against the Keeper, and it just plain isn't fun.

POD Scenario 3: Till Death Do Us Part I have not played so I cannot comment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James McTeague
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
salty53 wrote:
I'm planning on writing up a more extensive scenario-by-scenario analysis next week, but in short:

Scenario 1: The Fall of House Lynch is excellent, and is definitely the best place to start an inexperienced group.

Scenario 2: The Inner Sanctum is pretty decent.

Scenario 3: Blood Ties is excellent; one of the objectives is unfortunately an autowin for the Keeper if the Keeper is intelligent, but the scenario is good enough to make up for that with the other two objectives.

Scenario 4: Classroom Curses is pretty terrible. Event 3 gives away the objective, and the scenario is centered around the very boring Darkness Keeper Action.

Scenario 5: Green-Eyed Boy is interesting but has severe balance issues; the objectives are unique but vary ridiculously in difficulty, and Witchcraft is just an annoying card for both sides (the Keeper doesn't like that it often does absolutely nothing and the Witches don't persist, and the Investigators don't like that Witches pop up all over and there's no point killing them).

POD Scenario 1: Season of the Witch is decent, though with significant design flaws, including a random instakill with no warning.

POD Scenario 2: The Silver Tablet is awful. Every objective is the same, the only thing that matters at all is how quickly the clue-hunter can move, it's heavily stacked against the Keeper, and it just plain isn't fun.

POD Scenario 3: Till Death Do Us Part I have not played so I cannot comment.

I agree with this mostly, with the exception to number 5. Usually I really don't like it when the theme gets in the way of mechanics in any game, but Scenario 5 is one of those few exceptions. However, not for new groups.

I also like scenario 2 a little more than Roberta, but I love the fact that the Keeper has completely different strategies for the different objectives, so the Investigators have a chance at finding out what the Objectives are.

@Roberta: You haven't played Till Death Do Us Part? I was waiting to see if you were going to play it before deciding whether to buy it or not... I should probably order a copy then to be the guinea pig...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very much in the minority of enjoying scenario 4, having played 1-4 with each of the three Objectives. With no monsters available in general, the Keeper has to work at it to weaken the investigators, can't just spam Threat and bring in monsters.

Scen 5's one play was all I could stomach of it (even after winning as Keeper), first two PODs are still waiting for their two remaining plays each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Iammars wrote:
I agree with this mostly, with the exception to number 5. Usually I really don't like it when the theme gets in the way of mechanics in any game, but Scenario 5 is one of those few exceptions. However, not for new groups.

Scenario 5 I loved at first because of the traitor mechanic (my group's very big on Mafia, Battlestar, and anything else with hidden traitors like that) and the more interesting objectives. The problem is that those aspects made it a popular scenario, so we played it a few more times, and that's when the problems started becoming obvious.

In objective 1B, if the investigators haven't played 1B before, it is very easy for the Keeper to win in the first four turns without doing anything at all. After the first four turns, the investigators may or may not stupid themselves to death (and anyone who says that the investigators self-destructing in 1B doesn't count as stupiding themselves to death is obviously forgetting that this is a Cthulhu mythos game and not a JRPG), but whether they do or not is largely independent of the Keeper's actions. Meanwhile, if the investigators do survive the first four turns, or if they know 1B is a possible objective, it becomes very difficult for the Keeper to win, especially if the investigators are doing the smart thing and having anyone insane lock themselves in the Study or somewhere similarly far away from where they can do any damage.

I forget the letters for the other two objectives, but in the one where
Spoiler (click to reveal)
the Keeper needs to make one investigator kill another investigator

we've found that it's almost impossible for the investigators to not lose (at least in a four-investigator game, but why play a scenario like this with fewer?) even if they've figured out the objective - especially since the Keeper can always keep Loss of Will in hand and play it on an investigator right when they're in a position to win. (It would be less trivial if the Loss of Will / Selfish Motives / Spread Suspicion cards were given to the investigators at the start of the game, Mafia-style.) The third objective, while more balanced, is also the least interesting, being pretty much a standard Mansions objective without a special unique goal like the other two had.

And while all of this was going on, I became sick of the pop-up Witches from BOTH sides of the table.

Iammars wrote:
I also like scenario 2 a little more than Roberta, but I love the fact that the Keeper has completely different strategies for the different objectives, so the Investigators have a chance at finding out what the Objectives are.

Ah, this might be my problem - I've only played the scenario a couple of times (investigator both times), without knowing the possible objectives in advance, so I didn't have that deductive element going for me. We lost both times to extreme anticlimaxes -
Spoiler (click to reveal)
One was a two-investigator game where we had Michael McGlen serving as bodyguard to the clue-hunter Joe Diamond. When they got near Clue 1 (Ceremony Room) together, the Keeper in two turns spawned four cultists and marched them up the ladder into the Chapel. The Cthonian, having no goal beyond mere survival, spent the rest of the game running away from the investigators chasing it, who just didn't have enough moves.

The second was a four-investigator game. The clue-hunter, with average physical stats and some but nowhere near lethal damage, picked up Clue 1 in the Ceremony Room and was told that her survival was the only thing that mattered. Six cultists immediately materialized on her head and killed her.

EDIT: Admittedly, we had the bad luck of not having the Cult Robes available that game - Harvey Walters tried to use Shriveling on the Cult Leader, failed the Lore-1 test, set the Chapel on fire, and burned the Cult Leader to death. Since nobody had actually killed him, we ruled that nobody got the robes (and, thematically, the robes just burned up). Normally, we'd have given the Cult Robes to the clue-hunter, so those six Cultists would instead have been one Shuggoth.

These seem like they would have been more winnable for the investigators if we had known that these were potential objectives, but going into it blind, it seemed very easy for the investigators to lose suddenly without warning even when they seemed to be doing well.

I'll have to give it more tries knowing the objectives to see if it grows on me, but it does still seem very difficult to win on a first play. Even then, I still didn't rate it too badly, since it was very fun and it looked like it would be more balanced on subsequent plays.

Iammars wrote:
@Roberta: You haven't played Till Death Do Us Part? I was waiting to see if you were going to play it before deciding whether to buy it or not... I should probably order a copy then to be the guinea pig...

Wow, you really take that much stock in my opinion based on my Silver Tablet review? I'm flattered... but unfortunately, the Silver Tablet's abysmal quality has turned the girl who owns Mansions in my group off of buying more POD's, so I probably won't get a chance to play it. (Unless it gets really good reviews online and she ends up getting it based on them, but by that point you don't need me anyhow, and the people who have picked it up so far don't seem keen on posting much about it.)

EDIT: Fixed my spoiler tags.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob dole
msg tools
mbmbmb
My two cents: 4 just devovles into darkness every turn, which is tedious more than anything else. 5 has a tacked on loyalty mechanic which doesn't really flow well with the rest of the game; it's also not as playable as you need 1 investigator per person instead of doubling up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Walker
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok
I've decided that this game is totally excellent and the scenarios are generally very well developed for different purposes except probably 4.

Fall of House Lynch
Creeping around a house hiding from an axe wielding maniac!
This is a great start to the experience. It teaches you the basics of monster movement and tactics, and lets the keeper throw lots of fun mythos cards on the players while they explore.
For advanced play, it is really fun to try and guess which objective the keeper has chosen and at least it is a little bit different each time.

Inner Sanctum
A battle based scenario in a terrifying hidden monastery! With monsters pissing all over the place? What's not to like? Well this one has surely the greatest freedom for the keeper, he is very strong in this one, it can be tough like Roberta says but this one probably has the most replay value although maybe it is not as good as number 3.

Blood Ties
A despearate struggle against the unknown in a burning hell!
After playing this one tonight I have to say this scenario (with a little tweaking) is excellent. The flavour is delicious and the players can really get into it. The map is quite free compared to other scenarios, the only trouble is the keeper can screw the players very hard and has to basically not pick certain choices on his little token thingies. This one gets dangerous quickly and is a real challenge for both sides. Uncle Artimus is a bastard.

Classroom Curses
Skittering noises in the terrifying darkness! Um, maybe.
Ok so it's the one that everyone hates, well you can see what they tried to do here, they shouldn't have been so tight and put one more monster in say, in fact I reccomend doing just that, get some cool looking freaky minature, make it like a cthonian and bust it right out after event 2. Bang, this scenario would kick butt. As it stands I want to like it but it is frankly awful. I love the clues and the setting but just do it when you have lots of time on your hands, if you're like me and play in precious slots of people's time you'll not want to waste a session on this one.

Green Eyed Boy
Unimaginable horror in the halls of the final mansion!
So once you've played all the other scenarios you 'unlock' the fifth scenario, which can only be truly enjoyed by 5 experieced players huh? Well this is the level I am at, I have completed all the other stages, so I can move on... As you can tell I haven't played this one yet but I'm playing it this week so I feel this is the final challenge of what has been an awesome gaming scarefest.

But there's also

Season of the Witch
A hand reaches out from another dimension crying for salvation!
This sceanrio feels like a 'free play' scenario where they just throw in everything but the kitchen sink. If you could use some different tiles for the other part of the board it might at least feel different, it's a decent scenario but feels exactly like the downloaded add on that it is. If the game had a 'random' feature where the keepr just fought the players with monsters like descent or something this would be it.

Silver Tablet seems not worth even shit on a shoggoth

Death do us Part on the Way

But has anyone tried any fan scenarios ... and enjoyed them? That's the next thread>robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul C
United Kingdom
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the silver tablet last night with my wife as the keeper and two investigators and found it one of the best yet.

I also found it one of the few scenarios where the investigators actually used the room objects effectively such as the barriers and the hiding places.

In the end it came down to the last couple of turns - which always a good sign in my book.

To be honest I find my enjoyment of the game hinges quite heavily on what comes out of the various decks (combat, mythos, trauma etc.) as one or two really bad cards can pulverise the investigators and make it really hard to succeed.

In this game the destroy equipment and weapon mythos cards make the game extremely difficult for the players if used correctly.

My wife destroyed the torch!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Eagle Ov Death wrote:
I played the silver tablet last night with my wife as the keeper and two investigators and found it one of the best yet.

I also found it one of the few scenarios where the investigators actually used the room objects effectively such as the barriers and the hiding places.

In the end it came down to the last couple of turns - which always a good sign in my book.

To be honest I find my enjoyment of the game hinges quite heavily on what comes out of the various decks (combat, mythos, trauma etc.) as one or two really bad cards can pulverise the investigators and make it really hard to succeed.

In this game the destroy equipment and weapon mythos cards make the game extremely difficult for the players if used correctly.

My wife destroyed the torch!

Can you expand a little on why you thought Silver Tablet is the best scenario (apart from the fact that it was close)? You're the first person I've seen on here who has a high opinion of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwick VonVeederVeld
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Can you expand a little on why you thought Silver Tablet is the best scenario (apart from the fact that it was close)? You're the first person I've seen on here who has a high opinion of it.

I am also part of the exception concerning the silver tablet...I have only played it once so far, and it was a great experience...lots of monsters for the keeper to toy with...and the investigators need to brush off whatever the keeper throws at them and keep moving...and like the previous poster, it came down to the last possible turn for an investigator victory...dynamite and end bosses=ouch for the keeper...I also like that the starting tile is inside the mansion...makes it interesting when a new investigator pops up, right in the middle of the action...

I have never played 5 (green-eyed boy)

I think 4 (classroom curses) is the least memorable so far...all of the other scenario's I have played have had very excited memories attached to them...so far classroom curses has been a dud every time...I am still willing to give it a try, but it might be the first scenario to go to the chopping block....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul C
United Kingdom
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seemed to have a good balance of monsters and other threats (e.g. darkness) from the get go. It was also quite tactical due to the nature of the keepers action cards and the physical items in the house (e.g. barricades).

Also the keeper really had to think about how to spend threat. For example, it only costs one threat to spawn a cultist but the altar was behind two barricades (which can be very effective unless they are destroyed). On the other hand the keeper could use the unseen wings keeper card to make a cultist fly through a nearby window and grab a player for a cost of 3 threat.

The investigators targeted by the keepers lure of silver card also get to make a decision weather to be distracted by the keeper (by being moved one space) or giving the keeper more mythos/trauma cards.

All in all it was a tactical game which presented a fair number of surprises.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Walker
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I just played green eyed boy really enjoyed it but I can see why it's for hardcore fans as don't play it unless you enjoy getting spammed every turn by a couple of witches. Your players have to be really into it or it's just annoying. Plus who really likes uncontrollable urges anyway, however the biggest mistake I made was when I played the face down cards on the investigators (that I saved uo 20 threat to draw simultaneously) I didn't realise that the 'green eyed boy' I chose had no way of knowing what the victory condition was. So it came to an anticlimactic but enjoyable win.
You have to play a scenario once to be able to play it properly in this game. Still awesome. Now all main scenarios done! Feels like completing a videogame. Might put a gold star on the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.