Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: mylittlepony [+] [View All]
Ernest S
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can’t believe this is the first session report for this great game. I work at a factory. It’s noisy and pretty dirty. The guys that work there are pretty rough too. But, you know what? These guys love ponies, and My Little Pony is a classic favorite of theirs. Last night, after work we went out to the bar to slam down some big greasy double flame burgers with onions, throw back a few micro-brews and play our favorite game, MLPHS. Sometimes when we play at one of our houses, we dress head to toe in Little Pony’s color theme: Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash or Twilight Sparkle... but usually when we take the game to the bar, we don’t dress up. We just think it might look a little weird - you know... grown men dressed like that... out in public and all.

Well, after we finished the food, we played rock, paper, scissors to see who would be the game’s Pony Master. Pablo won, so while the rest of us wiped off our plates and ordered another beer, he set up the board.

When he was done, we focused on the board, trying to burn every little detail of the brightly colored meadow and its cute pony’s into our tired brains. The box says this game builds concentration; NO KIDDING. It’s brutal hard trying to remember every pony, every tree, and every butterfly. Talk about brain power. Finally Pablo said time was up. Mike wanted more time but we wouldn’t give it to him. Basically, you want to take every advantage you can get in this game.. it’s THAT hard!

Then comes the funnest part of the game for us: the part where we close our eyes and everyone says together, "No peeeeeeeking!" I know. It sounds a little childish, but we get such a kick out of it. Anyways, when our eyes are closed, Pony Master, Pablo picks three tiles and turns them over so a different picture is showing. Most of us are pretty comfortable when Pablo is the Pony Master. Sometimes when Bill’s Pony Master, he’ll try mess with us and only turn 2 tiles over or something childish like that. It’s kind of frustrating when someone messes with the game in that way; it throws your whole concentration off. But with Pablo, we don’t have to worry; he always plays fair. Anyways, Bill couldn’t make it this time.

Then Pablo says, "Are you ready? Go!" we all open our eyes and try spot the differences. This is where it pays to have good memory and stuff. Anyways, Buster (that’s his nickname) was on the top of his game. He was the first to spot that the pink pony was gone and a purple one had replaced it. He also got the 2nd tile: a tree that changed into a flower. The last one was really hard, but I managed to get it before anyone else found it: a blank grass field (well, it wasn’t totally blank. It had flowers around one edge); but it had changed to one with a fountain in it. Talk about a tough round!! So, after one round it was Buster: 2, me: 1 and Mike: 0.

Second round was even harder than the first. Buster got one right away. But it took at least 2 minutes of intense concentration before I got the 2nd one. And then we just couldn’t find the 3rd. We all sweated over the board trying to be the first to find it. Pablo gave us a hint and finally I saw it and with a jump, yelled out "Got it!". The yellow pony had turned and was facing the other way. Wow! That was sneaky. But now I was tied with Buster for first. Poor Mike was till in 3rd with zero points. I could see that Mike had lost a lot of his confidence that round. It had actually started earlier that day at work when the machine he was using had given him all kinds of trouble. He had handled that pretty well, but tonight, loosing that 2nd round of My Little Pony, it just seemed to sap all his confidence right out of him. Poor guy!

We played one more round and Buster got all three tiles (Man that guy is like the My Little Pony Memory Master or something). Pablo wanted to play again where someone else was the Pony Master but the rest of us were pretty fried from the first game so we decided to quit instead. Besides, Mike looked like he might start crying if he lost another game. So we all went home.

All in all it was a pretty fun night. As I lay awake in bed that night, I thought I might try some different strategies next time, like maybe working on knowing my colors better. The last thing I remember before I fell asleep was thinking, "I wonder how the game would play if they added little miniature red plastic fire trucks?" Weird, huh?

Note: Any resemblance to any actual people or events is purely coincidental.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice session report. Out of curiousity I see you have a "Christian" microbadge. Lot's of Chrisitans that I know don't appreciate magical elements in games, books, movies, etc and that includes things like the magical little ponies. Do you have any trouble reconciling your faith with the theme of this game? Have you ever had trouble introducing this game to other church memebers due to the theme? I hope not, as it would be a great travesty for anyone to miss out on such a tremendous game over a matter of faith.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Now, now. Keep religion off the game boards, thank you.

A superb game doesn't deserve to have its reputation spoiled by theological bickering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ousgg wrote:
Now, now. Keep religion off the game boards, thank you.

A superb game doesn't deserve to have its reputation spoiled by theological bickering.

Clearly MLPHS is THE game that can bring people of all faiths (or lack thereof) together to have a polite civil discussion on the purposes and reasonings behind such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Fro
United States
Buffalo
United States
flag msg tools
admin
I just want to say, God, on behalf of all of us thank you for all of the good things we do in your name, like charity and forgiveness. That’s an idea we would never come up with. That’s for sure. You know that better than anybody.
mb
I can't wait to sell all of my Advanced Tobruk System games, and all my Advanced Squad Leader kits to get a NIS copy of this game, oh come on MLP Secret Santa make my dream come true!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernest S
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kvenosdel wrote:
Nice session report. Out of curiousity I see you have a "Christian" microbadge. Lot's of Chrisitans that I know don't appreciate magical elements in games, books, movies, etc and that includes things like the magical little ponies. Do you have any trouble reconciling your faith with the theme of this game? Have you ever had trouble introducing this game to other church memebers due to the theme? I hope not, as it would be a great travesty for anyone to miss out on such a tremendous game over a matter of faith.

I must admit, when I first opened the box, I had a bit of a crisis-of-faith. The ponies were so colorful, so beautiful, so sparkly... so magical, that I began to doubt everything I had learned in my life to that point. I remember walking around in frilly daze thinking, "Does the God of the Bible really exist? Or are these magical pony’s actually the true gods?" But then reason won over as I told myself, "It’s only a game; it’s not real!!"

Since then, I’ve been pretty careful when I introduce new people to this game. I’ll let them know beforehand that it’s about magical ponies, but that it’s only a game and there is nothing real about the ponies, or the magic in this game. Most of the people I’ve played with have been pretty good about it. But on the rare occasion when someone does not feel comfortable with the theme, I just put the game away and we end up playing old stand-bys like CitOW, Claustrophobia or Mr Jack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Walters

Peninsula
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is very important for religious people to remember that the pony's only make us FEEL magical. There is no real magic, except for how wonderful the game is!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarge in charge!
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatulûk
badge
Why should I fret in microcosmic bonds / That chafe the spirit, and the mind repress / When through the clouds gleam beckoning beyonds / Whose shining vistas mock man's littleness?
mbmbmbmb
Truly wonderful report!

You have pwned all other session reports before or after.cool

When we play other games (yes, I know, a blasphemy!), we usually exchange all playing pieces with little ponies to preserve the magical feeling of warm fuzziness and magic that only this game offers. But rest assured, we do not do this very often, only once or twice a year, maybe. The rest of our gaming sessions only revolve around THIS game, which is..

..The best game evar! Plus, it's got Ponies.

PONIES!!!!!!surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Mills
United Kingdom
Pontypridd
Rhondda Cynon Taff
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
if you dont own this game, after reading this session report youll want to pony up some cash
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn, Just Shawn
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jfro wrote:
I can't wait to sell all of my Advanced Tobruk System games, and all my Advanced Squad Leader kits to get a NIS copy of this game, oh come on MLP Secret Santa make my dream come true!

I would (reluctantly) trade the new, unopened copy of MLPHS sitting on my shelf for your stash. I would not want this gem damaged in transit, though, so the offer is for pickup only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.