Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

I was recently inspired by the art of 1950's cartoons and animation. In preparation for this contest I spent a few days researching the period and honing in on that particular style. I did a few pages of sketching before I felt that I got the right look for the characters. You can see the results above.

My next step is learning how to recreate those crazy, semi-abstract backgrounds. This will help me create a cool board to go along with these characters. I'll also draw up some items, icons, and other such stuff to complete this entry.

This thread will track my progress.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Is that spot-colour offset I see? These are looking pretty great - and pretty authentic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:
Is that spot-colour offset I see?

Why yes, of course. It's all a part of the style!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
That's great. Can't wait to see more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
really wonderfully done as usual nick. wish i had your way around a pen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys.

I spent today working on my other entry, which is more in line with Stone Age as far as style. It's a ton of digital painting and I'm tired of working on it. It's nice to have two projects with completely different styles. When I get sick of one I can start on the other fresh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Here's a peek at some of the items. I really have no idea what kind of game this could be, so I drew a variety of things in hopes that something in there will spark some fun ideas.

Also, some trees. I'm really happy with those trees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Aguayo
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got to say, this style really does it for me. I can't wait to see what else you come up with.

Frankly, this art makes me think of Funny Friends but in 1950s Paris.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I'm pretty excited about the board. I have it planned out, I just have to draw a few more locations and put them all together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Here is one of the locations, the house. The five locations shown on the board will be the house, the restaurant, the factory, the storefront, and the police station.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
Looks fantastic. Looking forward to seeing the rest.

Got any suggestions for free programs to do painting with? I'm not an artist, but I like to doodle, and paint.net doesn't do it for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Gylthinel wrote:

Got any suggestions for free programs to do painting with? I'm not an artist, but I like to doodle, and paint.net doesn't do it for me.

Sooner or later someone's going to suggest the GIMP. I'm not personally a fan, but lots of people like it. MyPaint is an interesting digital-paint package which is quite different from a lot of traditional programs. There's a few trial or 'lite' versions of commercial packages which you can download, I think Sketchbook falls into this category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:
Gylthinel wrote:

Sooner or later someone's going to suggest the GIMP. I'm not personally a fan, but lots of people like it. MyPaint is an interesting digital-paint package which is quite different from a lot of traditional programs. There's a few trial or 'lite' versions of commercial packages which you can download, I think Sketchbook falls into this category.

I've always used Photoshop, I have no experience with other programs, sorry. What I would suggest to you is doodle on paper with a pencil, pen, or whatever you like. Then you can scan the results if you want them on the computer. Digital painting is great and all, but it can't replace what you learn from actually drawing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason D. Kingsley
United States
Siloam Springs
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic work, Nick. I'll enjoy following the progress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robertson Sondoh Jr
Malaysia
Kota Kinabalu
Sabah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the direction you going there Nick! Can't wait to see the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I'm having a lot of fun with this one. I hope to have something new to show in the next day or two. I was caught up all day yesterday doing homework but I can probably find some time this week to finish up this entry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the retro art style - the character, playing pieces and house look fantastic.

Although that a most unusual collection of objects.. at first it put me to mind of Clue (it was the Scientist in the house with the plate of spagetti!)

Can't wait to see what else you come up with
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

School is over and I finally have time to get back into this contest! Here are some vehicles for the game. I had the idea for these last night in bed.

Up next: the game board (finally!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
beep beep. toot toot. eeeeh ohh eeeh ohhhhh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike NZ
New Zealand
LOTR
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love those crazy cars linework! Wonderful art Nick. They all have beaut little personalities cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelley Callery
United States
Sayville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nick, Are you going to be completing this for the competition? I only ask cause I've started thinking of some ideas for using this, and if it's not going to be available, I'll stop thinking about it (or try to).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I will complete this for the competition. Since the deadline has been extended to the 15th, I'll be in good shape.

You may continue thinking about your game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelley Callery
United States
Sayville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, can't wait to see all the final elements. Love what you've done so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Trammell
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MAOR!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Canyon wrote:
Yes, I will complete this for the competition. Since the deadline has been extended to the 15th, I'll be in good shape.

You may continue thinking about your game!

I lied!

My apologies for anyone who was interested in this artwork. Real life proved more important and I didn't have time to complete this entry in time for the contest. Sorry!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.