Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark crane
Qatar
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The vibe I'm getting is that Martial Law is much better. My teen son has been playing MtG and watching The Walking Dead so I'm thinking he might like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1234645
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard arguments both ways. Most popular reasons to start with Martial Law is that it offers more tactics and has the additional Feed effect. However I've also seen the opposite said in that the base game is easier to pick up since it hasn't yet added in the additional mechanics as the chain system itself already offers a lot to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer the base set to start. It really does a great job of exposing you to all mechanics of what the game can do. It has a great balance of strong minions, tactical actions, and several abilities you will not find in martial law. And it is more simple, so it is a great introduction to the game.

There are several cards from it that we still love to draft whenever possible.

It is a great game, and once you buy one, you will want to get the other anyway. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. kempy .
Poland
Wadowice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Martial Law - i think it's more complex than basic NF and it's good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Maynor
United States
Peachtree City
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably better to ask this on the AEG forums, but any word on a combo box? Sort of like the Dominion big box? My family gets quite a few games, and right now I am debating with my son whether we go for NF or Dom.... we like both a lot. But the Big Box approach makes it easier to come in new, so that one is winning our debate at this time.....

Even though it often feels more like each player playing Solitaire and racing for points rather than actually combatting each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Sjolte
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The base game in the most basic and a good way to learn the game. So if want a game that you also can play with people that are not expirenced gamers that could be a good stating point.

Martial Law fits nicely with the Blood Country expansion since they both has the feed mechanic. If you like Nightfall and want to keep playing the game, you will need at least one expansion, because there are to few cards in the stand alone sets for repeated play. So that could be a argument for Martial Law.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.