Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Panda Z
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My time has come and now it is time to announce the next Geek of The Week. It has been a great week and thanks to muzfish4 for the honour. I meet this Lady in the games for gold geek lotteries that Sol organise. I like to introduce the new mb is:
Amparo
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Here are some details about her:

beatrix wrote:

I'm from Valencia, Spain, I have 42 years and I'm a freelance graphic designer specializing in the management of exhibitions, museums and cultural events.

Currently I'm quite far from my house and my games, sniff, sniff,
I decided to change my life to try to improve my English and to look for a job opportunity (although I do not know if I will have much success).
And now I'm in Southeast Asia, probably when you read these lines I'm jumping from Kuala Lumpur to Kota Kinabalu in Malaysia.

In recent months the preparations for the journey and the journey it self, I could barely play, that is going to be one of the things I´ll miss a lot during of this adventure. I've also been quite disconnected from the BGG for the same reason. I love it, because now I'm so close, jump to play with friends from Australia and New Zealand and I have also contacted some geek in Malaysia and Singapore who have invited us to play.
Someone here in Kota Kinabalu that want to play with some Spanish freaks?

For this reason I may take some time to answer, I haven't internet connection provided.

My relationship with the games, maybe start a little late because I have no brothers and childhood apart from some occasional plays of Monopoly, I didn´t play more. As a teenager I knew Escape from Colditz, Stratego and Risk, I liked, especially the Escape from Colditz, but I played a few games.

With 20 years I had occasion to play Civilization several times, I liked a lot, but I also discovered that mine weren´t fighting games. With the same friends, I played my first Rol game, I'm sorry but I don´t remember the name of the game, just remember that my character was a Esclepiada, something like a doctor and I won! But I don´t win usually many games.

After that many years passed without any contact with games, until about 3 or 4 years ago my friend Vins, also geek, after eating a Christmas Day brought to the table, Wooly Bully (Lobo in Spain), we all loved, we were very hooked and a few weeks later we were invited to play Carcassonne and so we recover our passion for the games and we start to play almost every week, sometimes until 5 or 6 am on Saturdays. He was also presented the BGG to us, he told us that here we could find any information on games, and at first I used only for that, I could not imagine there was much life and so much friendship here.

Between my husband and I,we have been increasing our collection, it is a hobby that we share, though he prefers the games "more aggressive" and he always wins, grrrrrrr! We have not been able to play them all, but someday we will get it.

We have attended conventions in Granollers, Jerez de la Frontera and several in Valencia, hopefully one day we can go to Essen or BGG.con

As for the type of games that I like, I hate games that are based on the attack, attack, attack, betrayal, deception, I guess I'm more of managing resources, among my favorites are Power Grid, Acquire, Dominion, Le Havre, Medici, and always Carcassonne.

I also hate to play games that look at the board and is all messy and dark, I have a theory that games need more clarity and brightness on the boards and their elements, I don´t understand why all have to be so dark.
I don't like games in which each element has a graphic style and look like a different game, in the old games can perhaps be excused, in the new like Dominant Species, with that mix graphical, font styles, and what it costs is totally incomprehensible. Agricola, Catan and Caylus aren't among my favorites.

Last December I had a disease to be almost the entire month almost without leaving home, I started browsing the thread and began to like, I found the thread of the lottery and had a great time, I tried to get involved in things like I don't speak English very well, I tried to do it more graphically, or uploading pictures.
I was very lucky and won the lottery and started to make some friends there after by other threads, I tried to participate as much as I could, in the threads of exchange of postcards, to Feel the Love, preparing images for the Great SamNZed Playmobil Overtext Hunting, in the threads for charity generosity and solidarity of the people seems overwhelming, anywhere, always had welcome and kind words and someone willing to help, I have tried to adopt the spirit of the BGG and I also put it into practice, and if I had the opportunity I'm also trying to help someone, I hope I have achieved, and although I even if I cant be so active, traveling, I love that Amiguero has remembered me, because he has done that I do miss all.

And now I'm so far from home, when I enter the BGG, is feeling more like being at home.

Poll: Which one is a lie
Statements
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
1. I don't like cooking and I'm a very bad cooker.
68.5% 63
2. My name appears in a boardgame.
16.3% 15
3. I'm able to restore some damaged counters and boxes.
15.2% 14
Voters 92
This poll is now closed.   92 answers
Poll created by Amiguero
Closes: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:00 am

Now a few questions to get you started

1. If you were a meeple, what sort of meeple woold you like to be? meeple

2. How many games have you won in the Games for lotteries?

3. Which game would you like to play from my collection and why?

4. Which game would you offer often to play from your collection and why?

5. When you travel, do you carry games with you? Which top five would you recommend?

Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy
United States
Los Osos
California
flag msg tools
This overtext is far more interesting than I am.
badge
One die to rule them all.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!

Some questions for you:

What are your favorite games to play with your family?

Do you enjoy RPG or Video games?

What is the best thing you won and auctioned in the GFG lotteries?

Have a great week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats!

d10-1What is your favourite colour when playing a boardgame?
d10-2Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter?
d10-3Do you play an instrument? If yes, which one and for how long already?
d10-4Having fun?
d10-5What would have been your name if your parents didn't name you..? let's skip this one as it might give away à clue to your truth's and lie
d10-6What is your favourite snack?
d10-7 What is your favourite day of the week?
d10-8What is your favourite time of day?
d10-9 What character would you be in a Star Trek setting?
d10-1d10-0 What makes you "tick" (inspires you, why do you get up in the morning)?
d10-1d10-1 What is your life-long dream?

Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Svetlana
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
Ich will!
badge
In the confusion and the aftermath you are my signal fire. Hold me close, 'cause I need you to guide me to safety. The only resolution and the only joy is the faint spark of forgiveness in your eyes, I don't want to wait forever...
mb
Congratulations, Amparo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Menzel
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
Missed it by that much ...
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats beatrix!

May you have the same luck in life that you have had in the GfGG lotteries
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mb
¡Felicidades Beatrix!

Buena semana.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amparo
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amiguero wrote:

Now a few questions to get you started

1. If you were a meeple, what sort of meeple woold you like to be? meeple

2. How many games have you won in the Games for lotteries?

3. Which game would you like to play from my collection and why?

4. Which game would you offer often to play from your collection and why?

5. When you travel, do you carry games with you? Which top five would you recommend?

Enjoy your week!

The honour is mine Rene,thanks again for having such a good opinion of me and for giving me the opportunity to enjoy the geeks from far away. kiss

well I apologize but I just got off the plane and didn't want to wait any longer, I will be trying to answer your questions as soon as possible.

Here we go with your questions
1. Maybe a meeple cat
2. I think about 42, more or less
3. I choose Rocketville, because I win in a Sam's lottery and I haven't been able to learn to play, so you teach me, but we could spend many hours playing Carcassonne or Power Grid
4 Medici, fast and fun, with this game with my group gets to play people who do not really like the games
5 Dragon Delta it's fun to start an evening session Palastgeflüster it's fun or to end an evening session

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amparo
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1nf1n1ty wrote:
Congratulations!

Some questions for you:

What are your favorite games to play with your family?

Do you enjoy RPG or Video games?

What is the best thing you won and auctioned in the GFG lotteries?

Have a great week!

Troy, thanks!!

- with my little family I play a lot to Ingenious, Set, No thanks, Dominion...

- I only play once to RPG, I'm very clumsy with video games and computer games when I have to play and compete against time, I get very nervous and I do not like gulp

- Judged by the amount of coins received, I think the best I've drawn has been the Great Fire of London and cattle is difficult, I have several that are gems for different reasons, because they have survived an earthquake, because it is made hand and beautiful, becose is fun, because it had long wanted to have, becose has come from the other end of the world...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Christchurch
i actually live in Wellington
flag msg tools
I'm, I'm afraid there's been a mistake. The man who has been speaking to you is an impostor. He is not in fact the Bishop of East Anglia, but a man wanted by the police. I am the Bishop of East Anglia and anyone who doesn't believe me can look me up
badge
Golden Camel !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic! A non-war gaming GotW!!!!!

I gotta start by saying Beatrix is one of the nicest most generous people I've met here... and I've met a few!

CONGRATULATIONS!

Beatrix did the stunning illustrations for the last Overtext Treasure Hunt...
Geek Intelligence Bureau 5 Final Report (and tailgating party, sign in and share!)

Wow

So Amparo-
1) what are your current favourite games?
2) How is Malaysia?
3) Will you get to New Zealand ?
4) best gaming moment?
5) Favourite colour piece when you have the choice?
6) If you could play any game with any group - who would it be? (EG My Little Pony Hide&Seek with Real Madrid, The Spice Girls, the 12 disciples, the cast of E.T. etc...)
7) What is your next adventure?

Brilliant!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenks
Germany
Eckernfoerde
Schleswig-Holstein
flag msg tools
Lest we Forget
mbmbmbmbmb
Warmest congratulations, Beatrix. I hope your adventure is working out as well as you want it to, and I hope you have the time to enjoy your week in the limelight - you deserve it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ik ben een kleine boefje
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
2006/2011 (Amsterdam - Maastricht - Apeldoorn - Den Haag -Delft) Vijf jaar dat ik ga nooit vergeten.
badge
Warning: Very handsome user.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hola Amparo Felicitaciones por tu nombramiento meeple kiss

And now my usual questions:

a) Have you ever been to the Netherlands?
b) What game in my collection would you like to have in yours?
c) What game in my collection you dont like?
d) If you could save just three of your games... what games would you keep and why?
e) Brunetes, blondes or redheads? (boys or girls, this question is an unisex one)

And the special ones:
f) Can you recommend me a nice plae to visit in Valencia, a city I have been just twice but I liket really a lot....
g) Valencia or Levante?
h) Paella or Tortilla española?
i) Can you recommend me a game to introduce my girlfriend in the gamimg world? Something easy but still with room for some screwage and not very boring for the gamer in me...
j) Have you got a BSK account? Havent see you there and is a shame since I like a lot your contributions here in the Bgg.

Have fun, un besito
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amparo
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Narl wrote:
Congrats!

d10-1What is your favourite colour when playing a boardgame?
d10-2Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter?
d10-3Do you play an instrument? If yes, which one and for how long already?
d10-4Having fun?
d10-5What would have been your name if your parents didn't name you..? let's skip this one as it might give away à clue to your truth's and lie
d10-6What is your favourite snack?
d10-7 What is your favourite day of the week?
d10-8What is your favourite time of day?
d10-9 What character would you be in a Star Trek setting?
d10-1d10-0 What makes you "tick" (inspires you, why do you get up in the morning)?
d10-1d10-1 What is your life-long dream?

Enjoy your week!

Wow Narl looks like a real famous interview laugh
many thanks,

1. orange if not, black, purple, but never never green
2. summer
3. none, but I do calligraphy, this can serve?
4. yes
5. no problem, I think Ana (Ann)
6. Potato Chips & sunflower seeds
7. Saturday
8. Evening/Night
9. I hope you don't kill me for this answer, but it's true,
I've never seen Star Trek or Star Wars,blush I'm actually more freaks than you think!wow
10. beautiful things and things that make me laugh, sometimes just knowing that I will see some friend for coffee
11. Retire at 40 soblue

sorry for star trek shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amparo
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LanaDove wrote:
Congratulations, Amparo!

Thank you very much Svletana!!
with the trip and I have no internet connection many times long ago I visited Feel the love thread and miss you.

a lots of kisses kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amparo
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
baub64 wrote:
Congrats beatrix!

May you have the same luck in life that you have had in the GfGG lotteries

Hey Bob! hopefully laugh
Here we see
thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amparo
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chearns wrote:
¡Felicidades Beatrix!

Buena semana.

Muchisimas gracias un abrazo muy fuerte

A lots of thanks and a big hug, do you speak spanish?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So it goes.
United States
Shillington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fuck it...lets go bowling.
badge
"You wouldn't worry half as much about what other people thought of you if you realized how rarely they actually did."
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Amparo! Always nice to see a familiar and friendly face/avatar as GotW.

Have you played any games that were new to you since moving Asia?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I Am
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
Every weirdo in the world is on my wavelength
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Congratulations beatrix!! Felicidades!

In your intro, you mentionned that:

beatrix wrote:
I hate games that are based on the attack, attack, attack, betrayal, deception, I guess I'm more of managing resources, among my favorites are Power Grid, Acquire, Dominion, Le Havre, Medici, and always Carcassonne.

Yet I see that you rated Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 - ? pretty high. What makes this conflict-driven game different from others for you?

Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Herweg
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
flag msg tools
Meat is for pussies!
badge
Karma is a funny thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Beatrix!!!

You really deserve this honour.

Questions:
What was the first boardgame you played /which one do you remember?
What will be your next G4GG item?
Any game you would regret to play?

See you on G4GG :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Beatrix, from an inactive GI5 operative. ninja

Questions: Name your favorite....

...thing to order in a restaurant
...teletubby
...Spice Girl
...holiday
...wonder of the ancient world

Have fun this week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations! Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilko Drude
Germany
Goettingen
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
What are you doing!? I don't even know you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations on being Geek of the Week, Amparo - and thanks for accepting this honorduty while relocating. Here are some questions for you (your introduction really makes it easy to think of things to ask!):

- Why did you choose Malaysia to improve your English?
- As you mention a husband, I assume you didn't travel alone? Any kids (or anyone else), too?
- What kind of place is Kota Kinabalu? Great name!
- Why did you choose the name Beatrix?
- Did you bring no games at all? Come on, you must have been smuggling some smaller things into your luggage...
- Are you planning to stay longterm or are you homesick already?
- Had you been to Malaysia before?

Have a great week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Starke
Canada
Barrie
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Miss Amparo/Beatrix! Well-deserved, truly!

Let me also voice in, and confirm your generosity within & outside of G4GG.

Only one question* sofar (as fan of 'national dishes'):

What exactly goes in a top-notch paella!? (I have had them in too many variations, and would like to know for once and for all!)

*Yes, counting on the fact that Statement #1 is a lie... *cross fingers*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Amparo!

1) Truth or beauty?
2) Speed or precision?
3) Justice or mercy?
4) Steadfast or flexible?
5) Cynicism or naivete?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Sinclair
Canada
Ancaster
Ontario
flag msg tools
One Thread for All
badge
The name's Andrew -- pronounced 'Kah-thoo-loo'
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Beatrix!

Enjoy your Week in the Spotlight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McQ
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
Another congrats from me Amparo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.