Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Timothy Goddard
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big Schlock fan (you can even find my rave review blurbed on the first ever Schlock print collection), and something of a board gamer, but I've got to admit that $55 is a leetle outside my usual boardgame budget. Plus, from the description & basic rules, I'm not sure that the game itself is the sort of thing I'll really enjoy.

However, I'm also notoriously bad at judging how I'll like games based on descriptions & rules. Can anyone with familiarity with the game (like, say, Kevin) give me some examples of most comparable games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Vitek
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Timothy,
We have a playtest session coming up either Black Friday or the next Wednesday. During the session, I'll either get the video camera out to record some rule explanations, or do a turn by turn explanation of how the game is played, to give you an example of an Objective based scenario.

Also, I'll poke Kevin N. to stop by and give an in depth explanation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Goddard
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Vitek
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The war for Spiral Station began not with the deafening roar of a plasma cannon nor the sudden and inexplicable concussive wave of an explosive, but with a single man moving into position ready to gun down his enemies. The concussive explosion came next following the plink plink of a ceramic shell bouncing off of a databank. The man only barely flung himself out of the way as the blast removed layers of armor and not a little bit of skin.

FragFest: Shodan, Thurl, Petey vs Tagon, Elf and Schlock.

Shodan, Initiative 1, enters the map at a Spawn Point and using his 5 Movement (2d6, keep the highest) moved over a Targeting System upgrade (Reroll dice during Attack) and into position. Shodan decides to concentrate on defense (Dodge Action) and to provide future cover fire (OverWatch Action) in case one of the enemies decides to take any of the four upgrades in the center of a nearby tile.

Schlock, Initiative 2, enters the map at another Spawn Point and using his 6 Movement(2d6, Keep the Highest) moved over a Grenade and a Room Sweeper power up. Schlock's second action is to Sprint two spaces to the nearby Armory and pick up a bit of defensive measures, a Shield Token.

Thurl, Initiative 3, enters the map at a Spawn Point and using his 4 Movement, moves over a Grenade powerup and Sprints to a Teraport Cage.

Elf, Initiative 4, enters the map at a Spawn Point and using his 5 Movement (3d6, Keep the Highest) moves over a Gravy Gun (Weapon that bypasses Shields) power up and a Grenade power up. Elf takes her second action to thrown the Grenade at Thurl. It lands in his square. Grenade has a 5D attack, with Automiss 1 and 2 in the target space. During to Thurl's location adjacent to a wall, the Grenade has a further +1D as the explosion rebounds. Elf rolls 6D and comes up with a 1,1,3,3,4 and 5. The 1's are automisses leaving 3,3,4,5. Thurl rolls 3D for Defense and gets 1,2 and 4. The 4 defense die eliminates the 4 Attack die leaving a 3,3,5 for Attack leaving the 3 Hits against Thurl. Thurl removes 2 Shield and 1 Hit Point token.

Petey, Initiative 5, enters the map at a Spawn Point and using his 4 Movement, Petey moves and Springs to an Armory picking up NanoArmor (Counts as 4 Shield Tokens that disappear 1 Token per turn) off the board and a Gravy Gun from the Armory.

Tagon, Initiative 6, enters the map at a Spawn Point and using his 6 Movement, he picks up a RoomSweeper and shoots at all enemies within Line of Sight. This will hit Thurl and Shodan. Against Thurl, Tagon rolls 1,2,3, rerolls the 1 and gets a 1 again. Thurl rolls his Defense and gets 1,1,5. The 5 Defense Die cancels the 3 Attack Die. The 1 Defense Die cancels the 1 Attack Die. This leaves the 2 Attack Die. This 2 die makes range and Thurl takes 1 Damage, removing his last Hit Point Token. Thurl is out for the count and will need to Respawn next round.

Against Shodan, Tagon isn't so lucky. His attack is 1,4 and 5. Shodan rolls 4 Defense dice, 1,2,3,6. Since Shodan is Dodging, all his dice are set to the highest roll, a 6, giving him a 6,6,6,6 Defense. A 6 cancels the 6 Attack, another 6 cancels the 3 Attack, the third 6 cancels the 2 Attack and the last 6 cancels the 1 attack. Shodan takes no damage.

***Initiative is swapped and new Initiatives are set***

Tagon, Initiative 1, Moves over a Sniper Rifle powerup and uses his 2nd Action to throw an Epaulet Grenade at Shodan. Tagon rolls 2,3,4,4,5 (The 2 is an Automiss) while Shodan rolls 2,3,3,5 and due to his Dodge they are all set to 5, thus 5,5,5,5. Shodan doesn't get wounded by the explosion.

Shodan, Initiative 2, Moves over a NanoArmor and a Shotgun Powerup. Being close enough, Shodan uses the Plasma Shotgun against Elf. He rolls 7D and gets a 1,1,2,3,4,5,5. The 1,1,2 are misses due to Range. The 4 is an Automiss leaving the Shotgun attack with 3,5,5. Elf rolls 1,2,4 on her Defense and takes 3 Points of Damage, removing 2 Shield Tokens and a single Hit Point token. Shodan uses his last Action to continue Dodging.

Elf, Initiative 3, Moves over Shodan using her ability Tip Toe Through the Tulips and Stomp. She also picks up a RoomSweeper on the way. Her Stomp attack rolls 2D and gets 1,2. Shodan rolls his Defense Dice and easily makes it with a 3,4,5,6 that are all set to 6,6,6,6 due to his Dodge. Elf's second Action is to use the Gravy Gun against Shodan. She rolls 1,2,3,6,6. Due to Automiss, all that is left is the 2 and 3. Shodan rolls 3,3,5,6 that get set to 6,6,6,6 negating all of Elf's attack rolls.

Petey, with only 2 Movement this round, picks up a Shield at the Armory and does an Aimed Shot at Shodan. He rolls a 1,1,2,5,6. The Automisses are 1,5,6. The 2 fails due to range. No matter what # Petey sets all his dice to, out of what he rolled (1,2,5,6), he has no successes and thus Shodan is untouched.

Schlock, 6 Movement, Moves forward and Dodges. He's acting as a mobile Tank and will be ready to start Plasma Cannon'ing people shortly.

Thurl, 4 Movement. Thurl ReSpawns at a Spawn Point. He was rushed out by a Medic and comes back in for the fight. Moves over a Shotgun powerup and as a 2nd action, shoots at Tagon. He rolls a 1,2,4,5,6,6,6. The 4s and 6s miss due to Automiss. The 1 misses due to range leaving 2 and 5. Tagon rolls 1,2,3 for his Defense and uses Only Cheaters Prosper to reroll the 1. He gets a 6 making his Defense 2,3 and 6. The 6 cancels the 3 Attack. The 3 cancels the 2 Attack. Tagon takes no Damage.

***Initiative is Swapped and a new round is set***

Thurl, being at the center of the action, is set as Initiative 1. He takes his action and does an Aimed Shot at Tagon. He rolls 1,1,2,3,3,4,5. The 4 is an Automiss. Since the shot is an Aimed Shot, all his dice are set to 5. This gives him a 5,5,5,5,5,5 Attack Roll. Tagon rolls 1,5,6. He uses his Only Cheaters Prosper to Reroll the 1 and gets a 3, giving him 3,5,6. The 6 cancels a 5, the 5 cancels a 5, the 1 does nothing. This leaves 5,5,5,5, attack. 4 Points of Damage get through which is enough to take Tagon out of the running. He collapses to the ground.

What we didn't discuss was the Power Ups running out of Juice due to Time and Use. The above is a mechanical reconstruction of the game, without the thought processes of the players being analyzed. Each of the decisions was made to keep the characters alive while doing damage to the enemy. Nor have we looked at any Scenario specific rules such as Respawning, Hard Targets, etc.

Edited:

- Added to the Write Up that Thurl Respawned on his Turn. ReSpawning is allows in FragFest for downed characters.

- Clarified Shodan's attack against Elf with the correct information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luther Hendricks
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nich wrote:
Shodan, Initiative 2, Moves over a NanoArmor and a Shotgun Powerup. Being close enough, Shodan uses the Plasma Shotgun against Elf. He rolls 7D and gets a 1,1,2,3,4,5,5. The 1,1,2 are misses due to Range. The 4 is an Automiss leaving the Shotgun attack with 3,5,5. Elf rolls 1,2,4 on her Defense and takes 3 Points of Damage, removing 2 Shield Tokens and a single Hit Point token. Shodan uses his last Action to continue Dodging.

Just nitpicking, but shouldn't the 4 on defense blocked the 3 attack, since the attack wasn't aimed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Vitek
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
That would be correct. I was writing off my sloppy notes from the session and made that mistake. Sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
any pics or video of this play test?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Vitek
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn't get the video to go.

However, there are pictures of the prototype in my Gallery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.