Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just checked, and about 2/3 of the people who participated in the recent MLPH&S fun still have not undone their work. Here's the evidence:

Come on! Remove your rating, add an entry to this GeekList: N/A, and tell N/A
about it!

Here are some good reasons to do so:

1. You get another free microbadge for it!

2. There's no other way you can get that microbadge. You can always buy the fan badge, but no GG can buy you that cute mushroom cloud!

3. You get to tout a favorite game that's not getting the attention you think it deserves!

4. You can prove the haters wrong!

Do you know how in parades there are always groups who follow the horses and clean up their messes? Well, now you can show that you are a responsible BGG citizen, one of those who parties and cleans up, not one of those who poops in others' parades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Seattle
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's kinda embarassing to be involved in something if everyone involved doesn't clean up.

I'm thinking we might need to send geekmail reminding people individually. Any better ideas?

Personally, I think the best approach would be for admins to simply remove all ratings for it made after last Monday or whenever it was. But I wouldn't be surprised if they balk at doing that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Evan Brooks
United States
Gainesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
It's kinda embarassing to be involved in something if everyone involved doesn't clean up.

I'm thinking we might need to send geekmail reminding people individually. Any better ideas?

Personally, I think the best approach would be for admins to simply remove all ratings for it made after last Monday or whenever it was. But I wouldn't be surprised if they balk at doing that.

Let me get this straight -- you intentionally encourage users to finagle the ratings and now can't figure out how to reset your handiwork.

My recommendation would be to compel all such users to play ONLY MLPHAS at all future gaming conventions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Seattle
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
evanbrooks wrote:
My recommendation would be to compel all such users to play ONLY MLPHAS at all future gaming conventions.

Compeling someone to play a game is more feasible than compeling them to undo their rating?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Seattle
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PollutedMonkey wrote:
curtc wrote:

I don't agree that the admins should spend time cleaning up after the prank..

My assumption is that it should be trivial for an admin. One sql query.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Henson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vandalism tends to not get cleaned up, whatever form it takes, hence some of the rage in the first place (at least mine). I think it's pretty reasonable to assume that when something like this happens, it'll leave a scar in the ratings, one way or another, for some time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The microbadge count isn't really accurate though...they're rather backed up for handing them out. Currently we have 514 items on the pony-removal geeklist, which is probably better count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes more needs to be done.
BUT
A few hard numbers
242 10 ratings
145 1 ratings

assume 1067 badge owners rated it a 10
then 77% have cleaned up their ratings.

I just checked, I am one of those who removed my ratings, but do not have the second badge. Apparently there are a few hundred others like me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg von Lemberg
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ptdnet wrote:
PollutedMonkey wrote:

Yes, typing in "delete from ratings where gameID=xxx and date=='whatever'" takes waaayyy too much effort.

Deleting other people's ratings should not be part of an admin's job. I for one want to decide for myself how I rate any one of the games on this site and I do not welcome someone else deciding to change my rating for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noted earlier today that 60 people still had their votes for MLPSH as a wargame. Here we are nearly 12 hours later and...60 people still had their votes for MLPHS as a wargame.

Nice to see people taking the time to fix their prank.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gvonl wrote:
ptdnet wrote:
PollutedMonkey wrote:

Yes, typing in "delete from ratings where gameID=xxx and date=='whatever'" takes waaayyy too much effort.

Deleting other people's ratings should not be part of an admin's job. I for one want to decide for myself how I rate any one of the games on this site and I do not welcome someone else deciding to change my rating for me.

In this case, I have to disagree. It is clear that people either rating MLPHS either as a 10 or voting it to be a wargame were simply playing along with the recent hilarious prank. I say give these raters another day to remove their ratings/votes, and then the admins move in and take care of these spurious ratings. The joke's over - let's get this thing fixed.

(Back in the day, you didn't have to shame/goad BGG'ers into doing the right thing. Of course, it was a smaller community back then, perhaps with a more unified sense of what was acceptable, responsible behavior. Well, except for the Agricola thing, and the Barnes things, and the,...oh, to hell with it! devil )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Done and done. Mess cleaned on my end. Thanks for all the fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Seattle
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
gvonl wrote:

In this case, I have to disagree. It is clear that people either rating MLPHS either as a 10 or voting it to be a wargame were simply playing along with the recent hilarious prank.

Especially when the ratings are constrained to the appropriate specific date range (less than one week).

I'm even ok only bulk deleting the 10s and leaving the 1s. With the 10s gone, the extra 1s probably don't affect the rating much anyway. Heaven forbid we do anything else to outrage the folks who rated it a 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank La Terra
Australia
flag msg tools
desertfox2004 wrote:

In this case, I have to disagree. It is clear that people either rating MLPHS either as a 10 or voting it to be a wargame were simply playing along with the recent hilarious prank.

There was a hilarious prank? Damn, I must have missed it, probably due to the ammount of noise generated by the unoriginal boring assclowns flogging some stupid pony stunt to death harder than a 13 year old discovering his pee pee for the first time.

"HAW HAW HAW, LOOK ITZ ANOTHER PONY PICTURE!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Seattle
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
There was a hilarious prank? Damn, I must have missed it, probably due to the ammount of noise generated by the unoriginal boring assclowns flogging some stupid pony stunt to death harder than a 13 year old discovering his pee pee for the first time.

How many sides does your bed have?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank La Terra
Australia
flag msg tools
curtc wrote:
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Three, it's up against the middle of a wall.
Don't get me wrong, I really couldn't give a toss about the damage or any crap like this may have caused. I just find it amusing that people found this epic failure of 'humor' anything but embarrassing.
I mean isn’t a prank supposed to be secret? This stunt was public from the get-go. No one was wondering what was going on, it was obvious as shit.
Plus it was done years ago a thousand times better. That resulted in Agricola man blowing a gasket and telling people to eat shit and die. The legacy of this stunt? I’m sure some 6 year old kids found it cute maybe?

Sneaking a picture of your bare ass passed geekmod is humor. Talking about ponies doesn't even rank as corny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I am encouraging those who participated in the pony gag to fix their things quickly, I also encourage the critics to be patient:

1. Cazantyl originally asked people to do their cleanup by Dec. 1, after all.

2. It's holiday time in the US (Thanksgiving weekend), and some people may be away for a while.

3. Excessive crankiness is not the best way to motivate people you disagree with.

Venting disgust/contempt/anger may feel good on the venting side, but is neither appreciated nor very effective on the receiving end. Sometimes it is more likely to trigger resistance than compliance. (Not that I encourage that reaction! I hope that the anti-anti's are big enough to rise above juvenile spite and prove the nay-sayers wrong.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:
gvonl wrote:

Especially when the ratings are constrained to the appropriate specific date range (less than one week).

I'm even ok only bulk deleting the 10s and leaving the 1s. With the 10s gone, the extra 1s probably don't affect the rating much anyway. Heaven forbid we do anything else to outrage the folks who rated it a 1.

Won't happen.

Monkey Auto Races still has fake ratings four-and-a-half years after it was used as an April Fool's prank.

Anyone who thought messing with the integrity of the entry would not compromise the integrity of the entry forever was being naive. You should always expect that some of the people who get caught up in the initial part will lose interest and won't make the effort to clean up.

If you want to be part of these kind of 'jokes', you have to accept that you are being part of something that will never be cleaned up entirely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Gia
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My humble opinion, anything that is left behind in the Game's Entry, is just that: a reminder of "us", the Pony-lovers. And those glorious Pony-days that are now a thing of our Geeky memory. I don't see the point of having to delete those entries as there's a whole lot more "useless" threads (without no added value) and false ratings (for other games) on this site that will never get cleaned.

So, looking at it more existentially, we humans are so focused on memories and the past, why delete this? No matter what you thought of the Pony-mania...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Seattle
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PollutedMonkey wrote:
curtc wrote:

If admins have to spend time and effort to clean up after pranks like these, then I don't see them being very tolerant about the whole concept in the future.

Isn't that what you want?

But again, I can't believe it would take much time or effort anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Seattle
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
curtc wrote:
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Three, it's up against the middle of a wall.

Perfect. Try getting up from a different side tomorrow. Could do wonders for your crabbiness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Martins
United States
Lakewood
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's nice that we're cleaning up and all. It's so BGG of us to do so. But, then, one wonked-out entry can give a site some kind of character.

In the grand scheme of things, I don't think some humorous litter will really hurt the overall impact and usefulness of the site.

Also, it's not like this is without precedent:

In the end, I bet this will get fairly (or completely) cleaned up in one way or another. It's BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Riessen
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Leave it be at this point. Now at least it's become amusing, whereas before it was just a boring reiteration of the Monkey Auto Races.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
echdareez wrote:
My humble opinion, anything that is left behind in the Game's Entry, is just that: a reminder of "us", the Pony-lovers. And those glorious Pony-days that are now a thing of our Geeky memory. I don't see the point of having to delete those entries as there's a whole lot more "useless" threads (without no added value) and false ratings (for other games) on this site that will never get cleaned.

So, looking at it more existentially, we humans are so focused on memories and the past, why delete this? No matter what you thought of the Pony-mania...

So, your arguement is that because you don't like aspects of the BGG, it's ok to break the other parts....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
mb
The BGG database is far from pristine. There are entire accounts created and used essentially just to shill and counter-shill games... and many users continue to rate games 1's and 10's for dubious reasons.

A few examples of users with "interesting" ratings:

http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/Nanich?rated=1&subt...

http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/malkavian68?rated=1...

http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/stlazaro?rated=1&su...

http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/galathonredd?rated=...

http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/Ugly_Beast?rated=1&...

There are many other BGG accounts that shill and counter shill with "drive by ratings"... rating one or two games (either with a 10 or 1 usually) and then are never heard from again.

Then there's all the games on BGG that are heavily shilled (and then counter-shilled) with many dubious ratings.

Some good examples:

http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/items/boardgame/36415?ra...
http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/items/boardgame/88247?ra...
http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/items/boardgame/18590?ra...
http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/items/boardgame/69785?ra...
http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/items/boardgame/20414?ra...
http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/items/boardgame/21366?ra...
http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/items/boardgame/26386?ra...
http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/items/boardgame/37741?ra...
http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/items/boardgame/19544?ra...
http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/items/boardgame/16105?ra...
http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/items/boardgame/4176?rat...

Then of course there's the classic punch and counter punch battles found in the ratings of games like Space Hulk (third edition):

http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/items/boardgame/54625/pa...

Some of all these shenanigans are counteracted somewhat by the shillbuster algorithms set in place by the BGG hierarchy but a lot of it is still essentially "polluting" the database here and the shillbuster measures can only do so much.

The ratings are what they are though... a reflection of the whims and various eccentric personalities here in this community so those various personality traits and temperaments are also captured and displayed here in the BGG ratings. It is what it is... a mirror for the hobby and everything associated with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.