Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken B.
United States
Fayetteville
Tennessee (TN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AgentOddball wrote:
Vandalism tends to not get cleaned up, whatever form it takes, hence some of the rage in the first place (at least mine). I think it's pretty reasonable to assume that when something like this happens, it'll leave a scar in the ratings, one way or another, for some time.

A "scar" in the ratings? Of a marginal children's game?

Jesus Christ in a taxicab.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Henson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
franklincobb wrote:
A "scar" in the ratings? Of a marginal children's game?

Jesus Christ in a taxicab.

In the ratings of the site as a whole. It got up to rank six or something.

Anyway, the game still has ton of 1 and 10 ratings, despite the cleanup effort. I'm suggesting that the cleanup will never be completed, so yes, it's a scar. A poorly healed wound. Maybe it's a little melodramatic, but I think it's an apt metaphor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank La Terra
Australia
flag msg tools
curtc wrote:
Mr Skeletor wrote:
curtc wrote:
Mr Skeletor wrote:
There was a hilarious prank? Damn, I must have missed it, probably due to the ammount of noise generated by the unoriginal boring assclowns flogging some stupid pony stunt to death harder than a 13 year old discovering his pee pee for the first time.

How many sides does your bed have?

Three, it's up against the middle of a wall.

Perfect. Try getting up from a different side tomorrow. Could do wonders for your crabbiness.

I got up on all three sides and visited mylittlepony.com after each get up and, amazingly enough, I still didn't find ponies very funny.

I was worried about it, but a co-worker told me that it probably indicates I still had a working set of testicles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gonzalez Rice
United States
New London
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:

I was worried about it, but a co-worker told me that it probably indicates I still had a working set of testicles.

Considering the effects of your language and temper on the overall quality of this site, I think you lack standing to criticize others' sense of humor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Seattle
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
curtc wrote:
Mr Skeletor wrote:
curtc wrote:
Mr Skeletor wrote:
There was a hilarious prank? Damn, I must have missed it, probably due to the ammount of noise generated by the unoriginal boring assclowns flogging some stupid pony stunt to death harder than a 13 year old discovering his pee pee for the first time.

Perfect. Try getting up from a different side tomorrow. Could do wonders for your crabbiness.

I got up on all three sides and visited mylittlepony.com after each get up and, amazingly enough, I still didn't find ponies very funny.

Crabbiness and sense of humor are orthogonal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
Mr Skeletor wrote:
curtc wrote:
Mr Skeletor wrote:
curtc wrote:
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Crabbiness and sense of humor are orthogonal.

Meh, I didn't find it funny, but then I'm getting really tired of the meme of the week humor.

I appreciate the effort, but this was below pun level.

Next year, they should try something a bit more subtle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Seattle
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Helljin wrote:
Meh, I didn't find it funny, but then I'm getting really tired of the meme of the week humor.

I'm certainly not claiming it was the funniest thing ever. Agreed more subtle would be better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Helljin wrote:

I have a suggestion - how about you try to organise something that (a) the same number of people enjoy/find amusing and (b) lives up to your standards of humor and subtlety?

It's always easier to complain than do something positive instead. I haven't come across many people saying "ah, this constant complaining has brightened my day" (actually I can't recall a single one but that doesn't mean they aren't out there) but I've definitely read a lot of comments from people who had fun with the pony thing, got cheered up by it and so on.

I just fail to see why it bothers some people so much. There's a lot of stuff that I fail to see the humor in, but as long as it's harmless (i.e. not obviously meant to offend someone or cause other serious damage) I just go on with my life, it's not like *everything* has to be relevant to me. Even more so, when it's already over, what's the use in going on and on about it, without adding any new information or aspect to the discussion? By going on and on about it, you (meaning the pony-haters) are actually dragging it into the limelight again and again, which, if you hated it that much, is exactly the opposite of what you should be aiming for...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
Thinking about my next move.
badge
So, if my only options are these, then I shall...
mbmbmbmbmb
marble911 wrote:
Helljin wrote:

I have a suggestion - how about you try to organise something that (a) the same number of people enjoy/find amusing and (b) lives up to your standards of humor and subtlety?

It's always easier to complain than do something positive instead. I haven't come across many people saying "ah, this constant complaining has brightened my day" (actually I can't recall a single one but that doesn't mean they aren't out there) but I've definitely read a lot of comments from people who had fun with the pony thing, got cheered up by it and so on.

I just fail to see why it bothers some people so much. There's a lot of stuff that I fail to see the humor in, but as long as it's harmless (i.e. not obviously meant to offend someone or cause other serious damage) I just go on with my life, it's not like *everything* has to be relevant to me. Even more so, when it's already over, what's the use in going on and on about it, without adding any new information or aspect to the discussion? By going on and on about it, you (meaning the pony-haters) are actually dragging it into the limelight again and again, which, if you hated it that much, is exactly the opposite of what you should be aiming for...

thumbsup

What he said.

Regards,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gonzalez Rice
United States
New London
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marble911 wrote:
Helljin wrote:

I haven't come across many people saying "ah, this constant complaining has brightened my day" (actually I can't recall a single one but that doesn't mean they aren't out there) but I've definitely read a lot of comments from people who had fun with the pony thing, got cheered up by it and so on.

Perhaps complaining is equivalent to laughter for a significant proportion of internet posters - those who get a rush of dopamine every time they put someone else down. In which case, ponies supplied them with just as much fun as the rest of us! Hurrah for the ponies!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marble911 wrote:
Helljin wrote:

Whoa, easy there pony boy, no need to have a hissy fit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marble911 wrote:
Helljin wrote:

Of course people complain.

This is not a la-la land of sunshine, rainbows, and holding hands.

This is the Internet.

If you put something out there publicly, it is unrealisitic to expect only praise or that the people that don't like it not to say they don't like it and why.

If you want to do a public joke/prank, one of the prices you have to expect to pay is receiving criticism. Sometimes very harsh criticism. It is naive and unrealistic to expect anything else.

As the old saying goes: If you can stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

Besides, it serves a useful purpose: feedback. If only people that like a joke/prank spoke up, that would give inaccurate feedback to how well it went over. If there is very little or only muted criticism, that means it went over pretty well. If there is a significant amount of harsh criticism, not so well.

If I do something a lot of people don't like and people complain about it, I don't tell them to shut up because criticism never made anyone's day, I listen to it and see if maybe they have a legitimate point so I can do better next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EvanMinn wrote:

This is the Internet.

You have soooo shattered my childhood innocence....cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Henson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marble911 wrote:

Perhaps next year you guys can just go spray paint a pony on an overpass. It'll get cleaned up eventually, so what's the harm? Surely at least some people driving past will find it funny.

marble911 wrote:
I just fail to see why it bothers some people so much.

For me, it was because the campaign felt like an attack on the system by its own users. The site is a great resource for board gaming in large part because of its ratings. They're not perfect, and there are lots of shill and counter-shill ratings, but intentionally making the situation worse seemed like injecting noise in the signal for the fun of it.

It really went beyond the pale for me when that thread popped up where everyone listed their favorite angry reactions. That was when I understood that it was all a big troll. It was like half the site had turned into 4Chan overnight, and I didn't like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
marble911 wrote:

I just fail to see why it bothers some people so much.

This:

AgentOddball wrote:

For me, it was because the campaign felt like an attack on the system by its own users. The site is a great resource for board gaming in large part because of its ratings. They're not perfect, and there are lots of shill and counter-shill ratings, but intentionally making the situation worse seemed like injecting noise in the signal for the fun of it.

I wish I'd put it as well as AgentOddball.

marble911 wrote:

By going on and on about it, you (meaning the pony-haters) are actually dragging it into the limelight again and again, which, if you hated it that much, is exactly the opposite of what you should be aiming for...

It bears repeating until you understand where the other side (one of them) is coming from.

AgentOddball wrote:

It really went beyond the pale for me when that thread popped up where everyone listed their favorite angry reactions. That was when I understood that it was all a big troll. It was like half the site had turned into 4Chan overnight, and I didn't like it.

This is what annoyed me. Up until this point I didn't give a toss either way whether ponies lived or died.

marble911 wrote:
It's always easier to complain than do something positive instead.

If this is what you call a positive result ......... hmmmm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg von Lemberg
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EvanMinn wrote:

But surely, there'll be lollipops at least? No?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Seattle
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just sent a geekmail to everyone who still has a 10 (or high) rating for the game, asking them (as nicely as I could) to please clean up. We'll see if that has any effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Daniels
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm sticking with my "10" rating. This is legit. I don't think I've had a bigger smile on my face than when my daughter beat me (she was 3 or 4 at the time). No other game, and I mean NO OTHER GAME has given me that same feeling of being proud and entirely happy as when that happened; kind of a sad indictment against gaming, IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Seattle
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think that's an indictment against gaming at all. It's merely that the higher rated games here don't tend to be aimed at young girls. Oddly, my daughter only likes abstracts like Set and Yinsh. Go figure.

By all means, if anyone's 10 rating is sincere, then there's no reason to remove it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
O God, thy sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mb
nexttothemoon wrote:

This would make a kickass geeklist. Just sayin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Heberer
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Curt,

When you went and geekmailed all those people, did you email the 1s as well? I'm just curious and treating you as a sample of the concern about the rating people.

As of today, the 10s are overshadowed just a tad by the 1s and for all the pissing and moaning I heard about the 10s I didn't hear that many people crying about the 1s.

What's that about?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Seattle
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only mailed those who rated it a 10. My intent was to first help eradicate the errant 10s, then show that to the people who had rated it 1 in hopes that they would follow suit. I was surprised by the hostile response I got from some people, so I walked away. Admittedly, the 1s aren't as much of a problem, because for this isn't likely a game that would have ranked very high with all sincere ratings anyway.

I wish people who participated one way of the other would clean up after themselves, but this is the internet, so that's probably unrealistic. If I were a bgg admin with sufficient powers, I would simply delete all ratings of the game within that week period, but leave the comments. Of course some people would re-rate, which is fine, but I think many people are simply too lazy to delete, or ignorant of how to delete a rating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Heberer
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to feel some love, try talking to the 1s. I find your assumption about the 1s getting a pass as the game is shit to be a bit wrong. If you are going to get enough of a gumption up to bother some people for doing something like manipulating ratings, I think it's hypocritical to just bother some people.

The subject is probably all dead and buried, but I was really surprised at the bile that was spewed forth from people on the site. I didn't think it was that funny of a joke either, but damn people got a bug up their ass for this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Seattle
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i7dealer wrote:
I find your assumption about the 1s getting a pass as the game is shit to be a bit wrong. If you are going to get enough of a gumption up to bother some people for doing something like manipulating ratings, I think it's hypocritical to just bother some people.

As I said, that was the intent. But as I failed to get the 10s cleaned up, I lost motivation to try for the 1s.

If you think cleaning up some 10s but no 1s is worse than nothing, or hypocritical, well, I strongly disagree, but it's not important enough to me to argue the point.

Of course you have the same prerogative to attempt whatever cleanup job you feel inclined to do. I can't believe you're actually criticizing me for the partial clean up that I accomplished. Sheesh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
mb
curtc wrote:
i7dealer wrote:
I find your assumption about the 1s getting a pass as the game is shit to be a bit wrong. If you are going to get enough of a gumption up to bother some people for doing something like manipulating ratings, I think it's hypocritical to just bother some people.

As I said, that was the intent. But as I failed to get the 10s cleaned up, I lost motivation to try for the 1s.

If you think cleaning up some 10s but no 1s is worse than nothing, or hypocritical, well, I strongly disagree, but it's not important enough to me to argue the point.

Of course you have the same prerogative to attempt whatever cleanup job you feel inclined to do. I can't believe you're actually criticizing me for the partial clean up that I accomplished. Sheesh.

This is BGG and it's full of geeks that bitch and moan about the most trivial of things... see the "Monkey Auto Races shenanigans" and "Agricola shitstorm" (literally) among numerous other "mountain out of molehill" controversies.

Just let comments like those slide... people will rate like they want to and only remove if they want to. Don't worry about it and you obviously did your part by trying to clean up some crap from the database.

There is always going to be a mountain of crap in there though so it's like trying to use a teaspoon to clean up after a herd of elephants. Best advice is just get out of the way and try not to get crapped on while everyone wallows in that shit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.