Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Steubenville
Ohio
flag msg tools
kevintlee wrote:
rdonato926 wrote:
Looks great!

My only comment is that Animal Upon Animal is nigh impossible to find outside of people trading or selling it on this site.

look again. available on all the online stores including amazon

okay, not all but some plus amazon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rdonato926 wrote:
Looks great!

My only comment is that Animal Upon Animal is nigh impossible to find outside of people trading or selling it on this site.

My FLGS has it in stock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kevintlee wrote:
Survive! - I did a quick search and found at least 40 copies still available currently at least online. I guess if it becomes a problem we should address it then.

ACD and Alliance are out of stock. so, FLGS's will have ahard time fulfilling this wish list item.

However, seems like there is not much interest in making sure FLGS's are taken care of. I assume you are getting a kickback from Amazon, however small, for showing their prices?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kakaris Maelstrom
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah and if anyone needs Animal Upon Animal (or any number of harder to find games as well, good local store) and needs it shipped, I can buy it locally and ship on your behalf as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joost
Netherlands
Rosmalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice to see Pitch Car in the list. I'm still in doubt buying it or not. It is expensive, but it looks like so much fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Green
United States
Ft. Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm noting all the comments against Amazon and in favor of your FLGS. Obviously Amazon is the easiest for which to add a hyperlink that will be convenient anywhere. I know we have the game store finder here, but my use of it in the past has shown it to be wanting. (Granted I've not used it in awhile.)

Perhaps enhancements can be made in the future so that the store finder looks more like you'd see at a national store's website, and could be featured prominently in the Gift Guide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I certainly support encouraging purchases from local game stores. But, to be realistic, I would think that a high percentage of non-gamers who find this guide to help with their shopping are more likely to purchase the game online, rather than to locate and drive to a FLGS with which they are not familiar. References to online sources probably will increase the chances that one of these games (or similar) will be purchased. And this is a good thing, as it could lead to more people learning about better games.

I recall many heated discussions about FLGS vs. online stores since I have been on BGG. I believe BGG supports both equally. In this case, however, like the list of games itself, thought had to be given to the likely audience who will benefit from it. Encouraging purchases from any source would seem to be a worthwile effort. I happen to prefer buying from an online store, which also happens to be a local family-owned-and-operated small business. For me, that has the same impact as buying from a "normal" FLGS, and I even visit the business physically to pick up my purchases. So, let's not forget local small-business operations that happen to do most of their business online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesgrandpa wrote:
But, to be realistic, I would think that a high percentage of non-gamers who find this guide to help with their shopping are more likely to purchase the game online, rather than to locate and drive to a FLGS with which they are not familiar.

You mean all those non-gamers hanging out here on BGG?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tjoek wrote:
Nice to see Pitch Car in the list. I'm still in doubt buying it or not. It is expensive, but it looks like so much fun!

It is a BLAST!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MMB
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to add that the following games are now usually available at Target stores:

Catan
Ticket to Ride
Qwirkle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Hernandez
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What happened to Apples to Apples?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Steubenville
Ohio
flag msg tools
jacko_kun wrote:

everyone already owns it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cowling
Canada
Salmon Arm
BC
flag msg tools
Owner of The Puzzle Factory, 170 Hudson Ave, Salmon Arm BC
mbmbmbmbmb
bryanwinter wrote:
gamesgrandpa wrote:
But, to be realistic, I would think that a high percentage of non-gamers who find this guide to help with their shopping are more likely to purchase the game online, rather than to locate and drive to a FLGS with which they are not familiar.

Very first line of the very first comment: "As always, the games in this guide are targetted at the casual player, people who wouldn't normally stop by BoardGameGeek"

Amazon prices and links will be much more useful to them than any other supplier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
solidonelove wrote:
bryanwinter wrote:
gamesgrandpa wrote:

Very first line of the very first comment:

Very last "wink" of the very last comment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico Solitander
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kevintlee wrote:
jacko_kun wrote:

everyone already owns it.

True but even more true for The aMAZEing Labyrinth. Which statistically is owned by more non-boardgamers than boardgamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
Ste-Thérèse
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
VERY nice list, I have found some gifts to give already! But IMHO it should also have a "Wargames" section. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ross
Scotland
Motherwell
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the war games section suggestion, chosing which ones to suggest, now that'll be the hard part!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
Ste-Thérèse
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ska_dad wrote:
I second the war games section suggestion, chosing which ones to suggest, now that'll be the hard part!

I can give some pointers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Steubenville
Ohio
flag msg tools
licinius wrote:
VERY nice list, I have found some gifts to give already! But IMHO it should also have a "Wargames" section. cry

we had some discussions about adding a co-op category then a word category. upon further thought we realized a gift guide doesn't need to be separated so much by category as more so by demographics.

out of curiosity though, what would you suggest as a beginner war game?

last year had Memoir '44 but it was voted out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
Ste-Thérèse
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kevintlee wrote:

Memoir 44 is an excellent beginner wargame. I use it often to introduce new players to the genre. The othe r"Command & Colors" type of games are also very good.

IMHO the best introductory games are the ones that have a short playing and set-up time. So that the newbie can replay fast, after making some beginner goofs!

Solitaire wargames are good, too. As are some of the simpler Card-Driven Games (like Hannibal).

But my first choice is still "Memoir 44" or perhaps the Z-Man game "Duel in The Dark".

of course if you new prospective wargamer especially likes one specific subject, then find a suitable title and go with it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Steubenville
Ohio
flag msg tools
licinius wrote:
kevintlee wrote:

Memoir 44 is an excellent beginner wargame. I use it often to introduce new players to the genre. The othe r"Command & Colors" type of games are also very good.

IMHO the best introductory games are the ones that have a short playing and set-up time. So that the newbie can replay fast, after making some beginner goofs!

Solitaire wargames are good, too. As are some of the simpler Card-Driven Games (like Hannibal).

But my first choice is still "Memoir 44" or perhaps the Z-Man game "Duel in The Dark".

of course if you new prospective wargamer especially likes one specific subject, then find a suitable title and go with it!

Nexus Ops would fit the bill to right?

Have you played Risk Legacy? I've heard good things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Westberg
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jacko_kun wrote:

Cards Against Humanity hit it in the back of the head with a shovel, cut it up, and buried the remains in a desolate stretch of land.

I've personally distributed 4 copies and have started something of a rush among my facebook friends for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
Ste-Thérèse
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kevintlee wrote:

Nexus Ops would fit the bill to right?

Have you played Risk Legacy? I've heard good things.

Yes, Nexus Ops is nice, too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bolland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Press PLAY
badge
Loooooooooooooooon!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quarashi wrote:
I don't see My Little Pony Hide & Seek on here?

shake

That's why it's called My Little Pony Hide & Seek!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cedro Gomes
Brazil
Aguas Claras
DF
flag msg tools
Pinky: "Gee Brain what are we gonna do tonight ?" Brain: "The same thing we do everynight Pinky. Try to take over the world !"
mbmbmbmbmb
loon wrote:
Quarashi wrote:
I don't see My Little Pony Hide & Seek on here?

shake

That's why it's called My Little Pony Hide & Seek!

LMFAO !

Please, hide this game and never shows it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.