Subject: Geek of the Week #324 - troybowers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Amparo
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ladies and gentlemen with all of you, our brand new GotW, but especially our friend Troy,

So it goes.
United States
Shillington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fuck it...lets go bowling.
badge
"You wouldn't worry half as much about what other people thought of you if you realized how rarely they actually did."
mbmbmbmbmb

This choose has been the easiest thing I had to do this week.

Why I have chosen him?
I find it very interesting and amusing that someone who has a "strongman" in his avatar , whoever gives more thumbs, so be gentle, conciliatory, hide behind a veneer of shy librarian and any of their input is appreciated.

But surely you already knew all this, so let's pass to Troy to tell us something about other facets of him that we don't know ... I begin

1. A writer that you would like to find walking around the corners of the library where you work?

2. Do you dive or snorkel?

3. Apart from the Eurogames, also you practice the Euro-comics? As Tintin, Asterix, Spirou, Jo, and Jocko Zette ...

4. What happens in the mind of someone who chooses 5 microbadges from hundreds and don't go crazy?

5. Recommend a book to a comic reader. One game to a book collector. A comic to a wargames player

If you come to Asia or Spain, would you let me know it to play a game?

troybowers wrote:

I'm a 33 year old single male (you heard right ladies) from Wyomissing Pennsylvania. I currently work at my local community college library and my local gaming and comic book store. A few years back I earned my B.A. in English (a waste of time practically speaking) from Kutztown University with almost enough credits for minors in Philosophy and Political Science. I've recently applied for Peace Corps service teaching ESL but I won't know for a little while whether or not I'll get to go.

My interests include: salt water aquariums (mostly reef only tanks) comic book collecting (I do actually read them as well) seeing live music (mostly of the jazz persuasion) watching great films and reading incredible books.

I don't currently have any aquariums set up in my apartment because I've moved so much recently and I don't want to put that much work into something until I have a more permanent residence. Trying to transport dozens of living creatures while moving the rest of your furniture and possessions is kind of stressful and involves more coolers than a parking lot at a football game. yuk I've maintained aquariums of all kinds and sizes from 10 liter nano-reefs up to 2,000 liter aggressive fish-only tanks.

My gaming days go all the way back to childhood if you include video games. I've owned: Atari2600, Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Super Nintendo, Playstation, XBOX, Gamecube, Playstation2, and XBOX360. Video games weren't my only gaming interest though. At the age of 7 I was a huge fan of Monopoly, (I really liked how long the games lasted) Life, Clue etc. My stepbrother introduced me to Axis and Allies when I was about 12 and we wound up playing just about every weekend that I went to visit my father.

The summer before 10th grade I discovered this new card game called Magic the Gathering at my local comic store. The number of hours my friend Alan and I spent in his basement playing Magic over the next 2 years was obscene. My relationship with cardboard crack (MtG) over the past 18 years has been off and on. My interest in the game waxes and wanes with the number of people I know who are playing. All told I've "quit" playing Magic 3 times and am currently thinking about doing so again for the 4th time. I do think Magic is easily one of the best games I have ever played, but the investment of both time and money required to play at anything other than the casual level is staggering. Anyone who used to play Magic but hasn't for a few years should look at prices right now. You may be sitting on a small fortune.

Like many people I discovered Eurogames by accident. One night in '97 while playing Magic at the local comic shop, my friend Sam brought along a new game he'd read about called Settlers of Catan. He taught me and 2 others how to play and as soon as the game was over I went up to the sales clerk and asked if they could order me a copy. They could and did. Over the next 5 years I acquired the expansions for Settlers as they were released as well as Starfarers of Catan.

But it wasn't until 2002, on the way back from my annual visit to Gettysburg National Park, that I tried my second euro, Carcassonne. Strangely (for me anyway) I didn't actually play Carcassonne for another 5 years. It didn't impress me as much as Settlers initially, but I thought well enough of it to look and see what other "German" boardgames were out there. That's when I stumbled across BGG and really got hooked. Since I was a big fan of the videogame Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life, Agricola was the first game I tried after finding the site. Since then I've been trying as many of the top rated games as I can.

Top 10 in no particular order. More of a "if I could only own 10 games" list.

Poll
Wich of this sentences is false?
I did a tour of England the summer after graduating from high school with the rock band I used to be in.
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
True
64.1% 93
False
35.9% 52
Voters 145
It took me 8 years to get my bachelor's degree
True
76.4% 113
False
23.6% 35
Voters 148
I once contacted all of the local hypnotists to see if one of them could make me forget who killed Laura Palmer in the tv show Twin Peaks.
True
47.0% 71
False
53.0% 80
Voters 151
This poll is now closed.   156 answers
Poll created by beatrix
Closes: Mon Dec 5, 2011 6:00 am

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hyer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Crokinole and Twilight Struggle. Truly a man of exquisite taste. We'll just brush that magic habit under the carpet.

Congrats and have a great week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, mate!

Why the annual visit to Gettysburg? Are there a lot of travelling exhibitions featured at the visitor centre or are you going there on the way to (or on the way back from) Historicon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Congrats, Troy! Keep being awesome.

Questions!

1. Why play games?

2. Who is your game hero? (designer, player, or even a character)

3. What's the funniest moment you remember from being on BGG/RPGG/VGG?

4. What's your favorite childhood VIDEO game memory? I see you listed owning a bunch of consoles

Congrats again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Hooper
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Christchurch
i actually live in Wellington
flag msg tools
I'm, I'm afraid there's been a mistake. The man who has been speaking to you is an impostor. He is not in fact the Bishop of East Anglia, but a man wanted by the police. I am the Bishop of East Anglia and anyone who doesn't believe me can look me up
badge
Golden Camel !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Troy.

A well deserved honour for a great guy.

I'll come back with questions later
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy N
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Troy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Troy! I get a real charge out of visiting aquariums in cities that I (rarely) visit, but I've never thought about trying to maintain my own salt-water aquarium.

What's been your favourite sea creature that you've taken care of?

What would you love to have in an aquarium, if cost/environment/practicality weren't obstacles?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
G'day Troy,

I try to remember to ask each Geek of the Week these gaming related questions, so to start with here's the ever so slightly modified GeekSpeak Hook questions for you:
Favourite game(s) for d10-1 player (optional, many non-wargamers wouldn't have an answer for this)
Favourite game(s) for d10-2 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-3 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-4 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-5 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-6 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-7 or more players (and you may choose a Party Game here although I wouldn't meeple )

Also Word Association Football , I will list a word and you list a game or games that you associate with it. If you like you can expand and tell us if you like it/them or hate it/them and possibly why.

Space ships
Witches
Trains
Transport (may include trains)
Workers (paid or otherwise)
Trading
Building
Pink
Theme
Ships
Money
Purple
Government
Vampires
Infrastructure
Dice
Dinosaurs
Gemstones
Dragons
Beer
Wands

Is there any particular game that you have played recently, new or old, that you would like to recommend to readers of this thread? And optionally, why?

Last but not least, what are the five games that you have played most recently?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent news - congrats, Troy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cedro Gomes
Brazil
Aguas Claras
DF
flag msg tools
Pinky: "Gee Brain what are we gonna do tonight ?" Brain: "The same thing we do everynight Pinky. Try to take over the world !"
mbmbmbmbmb
Good choice.

Congratulations !!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Troy!

Great choice Beatrix!

My queries,

1) Truth or beauty?
2) Speed or precision?
3) Justice or mercy?
4) Steadfast or flexible?
5) Cynicism or naivete?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody
Canada
Madeira Park
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
I have no willpower :)
badge
(.ㅅ.) The meaning of life is tuna >'.'<
Neato, congratulations. Here's a cat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Congrats, Troy! Nice to see a G4GG participant get nominated!

I'm sure I'll come up with more questions, but given your affinity for the series, what's your favorite Ring/Lantern?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Congratulations! Great choice, enjoy your week!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!

Can you tell us a little about your experiences with wargames?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Quakertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Cough! Cough!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Troy!!! You Geek!

Why is green you favorite color?

What is your favorite word?

If a tree falls in the woods and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?

Who is your favorite Scott?

If you could be any superhero, who and why?

Did you get my last Geekmail?

Why do you always win when we game together?

Do you laugh about it afterwards?

Enjoy your week!!! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg r
United States
TROY
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Way to go Troy! I think you deserve it!

First time I have ever asked a question, Here it goes,

If you got excepted to the Peace Corps where would you like to serve?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cedro Gomes
Brazil
Aguas Claras
DF
flag msg tools
Pinky: "Gee Brain what are we gonna do tonight ?" Brain: "The same thing we do everynight Pinky. Try to take over the world !"
mbmbmbmbmb
My questions:

d10-0 How did you meet BGG ?

d10-1 What are the qualities of a good player ?

d10-2 What is your favorite ABSTRACT GAME ?

d10-3 Can you describe yourself as a gammer ?

d10-4 Why doesn't McDonald's sell hotdogs ?

d10-5 Why is a person that handles your money called a 'Broker' ?

d10-6 Is it possible to be totally partial ?

d10-7 Why doesn't glue stick to the inside of the bottle ?

Enjoy your week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Roy
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
27 World Series titles and counting!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Troy! Crokinole is awesome. I love it and have been playing since childhood. Do you also enjoy other flicking games, like pitchcar and catacombs?

I see you're also a Thunderstone fan! Top notch for that!
Which extension do you prefer?
Any favourite monsters and monster classes, guardians, items, heroes?

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats!!

I am happy to see you like Tide of Iron... what's your favorite set / expansion?

Other wargames that you are fond of?

Why did you choose the classic Flash as your avatar? Aren't you bothered by the fact that he wears a metal salad bowl on his head? And am I to understand that you prefer the Justice Society to the Justice league?

Speaking of comics, your thoughts about the DC reboot?

What are your thoughts about the Hourman? and the original Atom?

For each of the following emoticons write a sentence that relates to you, that is true, and that has something to do with the subject of the emoticon:

robot

sauron

goo

bacon

goldencamel

sheep

nuclear

trade

Enjoy your week!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
"Jayne, your mouth is talking. You might wanna look to that."
badge
"Wash, we got some local color happening. A grand entrance would not go amiss."
mbmbmbmbmb
CONGRATULATIONS

Enjoy your week in the spotlight!!! thumbsup

Question:

What is your most & least favorite game mechanic and why?

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Quality Print on Demand Games & Prototypes
badge
mbmbmb
Congrats!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
Now THIS is well deserved! Congratulations my friend!

My standard questions...

1. If you could play any one game with any one person, living or dead, who and what would it be?

2. Same question, but fictional person.

Enjoy your week! Silver Age Flash is the only Flash in my book.

May the Speed Force guide you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.