• [+] Dice rolls
Luis Olcese
Argentina
Córdoba
Córdoba
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
More than two hours. If everybody takes a minute to choose the character, way more than that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
2 weeks ago I played a 6-p game with 3 beginners and 1 that had not played for years. Took about 1hour and a half, including explanations. Most players didn't took ages to choose their character, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thx for the replies. I heard that it would be a loooong game if more than 5 players...is it true?

P.S. as a casual game, to me 1.5+ hour is loooong game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
Most games with more than 5-p are "long".
Citadels is a game of double-guessing, with variable powers, so I'd say it mostly depends on the players. Beginners + prone to AP + alcohol involved = long. Otherwise, it's rather fast compared to its depth (IMO).
If you want someting "short" whoever the players are, maybe consider a party game instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Brígido B. Sales
Brazil
Fortaleza
Ceará
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Around 1,5 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julio

Hidalgo
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ah3Dog wrote:
Thx for the replies. I heard that it would be a loooong game if more than 5 players...is it true?

There is an official variant in the rules where you could shorten the game by setting 7 buildings as the ending condition. I haven't tried myself though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jrescan wrote:
ah3Dog wrote:

There is an official variant in the rules where you could shorten the game by setting 7 buildings as the ending condition. I haven't tried myself though.

Official variant to shorten the game, would you share the link to that?

Thx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If your group is slow, then I'd give it 2 to 2.5 hours. If they're quick, knock of around half an hour. The problem is you need to impose a strict, 15s to choose your character, and another 15s per action phase, AVERAGE. Indeed when each player takes 1 to 2 min is when the playtime adds up quickly.

ah3Dog wrote:
jrescan wrote:
ah3Dog wrote:

Thx
Actually, this should be in the rulebook. I myself have the FFG version pictured below and this variant is mentioned somewhere towards the back of the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julio

Hidalgo
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ah3Dog wrote:
jrescan wrote:
ah3Dog wrote:

Thx

Page 9 of the FFG silver line edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Hopkins
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lolcese wrote:
More than two hours. If everybody takes a minute to choose the character, way more than that.

Add on people who start chatting during the downtime and don’t notice that it’s their turn and you can go even longer.

I’ve played Citadels twice with seven people and I will never do it again. It is far too long and there’s nothing to do while you wait (other than start chatting…).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the right crowd this game can really suck bad. AP sets in along with rampant indecision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoff Lag
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jrescan wrote:
ah3Dog wrote:

I tend to use this variant each time I have to learn the game to new players. This to avoid the experienced ones to prepare longer and stronger strategies.

I use it also to shorten the game time. This kind of variant should be use with many other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hanshu wrote:
jrescan wrote:
ah3Dog wrote:

I tend to use this variant each time I have to learn the game to new players. This to avoid the experienced ones to prepare longer and stronger strategies.

I use it also to shorten the game time. This kind of variant should be use with many other games.
+1. If you have any dread of a long game, seriuosly consider playing only to 7 districts. Hell, if you're further concerned about time, consider playing to only 6 districts.

This does make it more difficult to get the one of each color district bonus, and skews things more to the completed city bonus, but preserving your sanity more than makes up for these shortcomings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G S
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got this game and have only played it once with 6 players, and we played to 7 districts. It took about an hour, and that was with trying to rush people through the role selection (several players are prone to AP, including myself).

We considered playing to 6, but someone got to 6 fairly quickly so we changed it to 7, which lengthened the game considerably. I can't imagine ever going to 8, I think everyone would quit playing before anyone won.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.