Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter D
Belgium
Hove
flag msg tools
Game Over Man, Game Over!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm planning on putting PitchCar under the Christmas tree for my 5 year old son (and me )

But what to buy?

I played the game at a friend's house and he had two base sets and a couple of extensions. I could buy two base sets to start with or a base set with the first extension and the long straights.

Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike S.
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first expansion really is a must buy. And actually the same goes for the Cross. The long straights are great as well but they do take a lot of space. The 2 crosses make it possible to create large tracks on less space. So depending on the amount of space you have, you can go with just the cross or both the cross and long straights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Longwood
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I particularly like the first extension. For first priority I'd go with 1 base set and 2 copies of extension 1. If you want another extension, maybe 5 (The Cross) or, if you've got room for giant tracks, add the long straights or another base set.

I really like the ramps and cross-over pieces from extension 1 ... they allow alot more interesting tracks/junctures that you can't do with basic parts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike S.
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The ramps are just awesome and I wouldn't even think about playing a game without them cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel van Peenen
Netherlands
Delft
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My suggestion would be to go for the base game with the first expansion and the cross just as suggested by Mike.
The junp from the first expansion is just great and I also love the "tight" curves.

Or instead of the cross get the second expansion, you are able to make crossing tracks with that expansion also.

I haven't played with the long tracks because for me space is an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get the original PitchCar and the Extension with the jump/tunnel. Every 5 year old boy is going to like the jump.

DO NOT get the long straights. Ours came in warped (yours may not) but who wants to risk a non-functioniing present on Christmas morning. Save the straights for a regular purchase on a non-holdiday. You may want to also stay away from the Stunt Race expansion for now. The ramp can be brutal for an adult and frustrating for a young one. With a second level, players need to be a bit more cautious playing with it.

Summary:
1. Get Pitchcar and Pitchcar Extension (tunnel/ramp) together.
2. If you have the funds and the room for set up get the PitchCar Extension 2 with it.
3. If you enjoy the game get Extension 5 (cross), Stunt Race, and long straights in that order.

I wouldn't steer you wrong here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter D
Belgium
Hove
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok,

I think I will go with:

PitchCar
PitchCar extension (tunnel)
PitchCar The Cross

In the future I'll get the second expansion and the long straights. Stunt Race doesn't look so interesting.

Room isn't so much a problem. I thought the long straights would be easier to start with for my son.

Thanks for all the advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Woozle1977 wrote:
Ok,

I think I will go with:

PitchCar
PitchCar extension (tunnel)
PitchCar The Cross

In the future I'll get the second expansion and the long straights. Stunt Race doesn't look so interesting.

Room isn't so much a problem. I thought the long straights would be easier to start with for my son.

Thanks for all the advice.

I think your choice for starting is good, with one caveat. Being that your son is 5, I'd caution on the jumps. He may love them, but he will also likely get frustrated by them.

I initially bought the base set with L'Extension. My son was around 3 or 4 at the time, and he loved it. We have since picked up the Special Long Straights and the Cross, and it is still the game he asks for when we go to game days (he's 10 now).

We played at the Council of Five Nations last year and they had all of the expansions. He hasn't asked for the jumps, but he does keep asking about Stunt Race. If I had the table space to set PitchCar up at home more often, I'd get Stunt Race and Extension 2 before the tunnel/jumps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ward wrote:

If I had the table space to set PitchCar up at home more often, I'd get Stunt Race and Extension 2 before the tunnel/jumps.

The tunnel/jump can be frustrating for younger ones but it is forgiven by its sheer awesomeness. Anyone frstrated by the jump is going to be even more frustrated by the the huge ramp in stunt race. Extension 2 is great because you can make just about any configuration for any table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter D
Belgium
Hove
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The stunt track doesn't look so interesting. And as the completist said, when the jump might be difficult, the stunt expansion looks even more challenging.

I'll make up my mind between the cross and expansion 2. Maybe if I'm a good boy until Christmas, Santa will bring both
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.