Popular Tags: [View All]
So it goes.
United States
Shillington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fuck it...lets go bowling.
badge
"You wouldn't worry half as much about what other people thought of you if you realized how rarely they actually did."
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very happy to announce our new GOTW
Eurojuegos Buenos Aires
Argentina
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm sure many of you have seen Juan's avatar while wandering the forums, but how many of you have had the opportunity to get to know our Argentinian friend better?

When I asked Juan if he'd like to be the next GOTW he insisted that there were others more worthy of the nomination than himself. He listed a number of different criteria that he felt a GOTW should possess, but I disagreed. To me GOTW shouldn't just be for users who create games, add lots of content to the site, record podcasts about gaming, etc. It should be just as much about being a good person, helping new users with questions and directions, having manners and always being polite in your posts, and in general making this site more of a home than a forum or database. We frequently read posts talking about how BGG is a community. Well, the reason many of us feel that way is because of people like Juan. So without further ado I'll ask my questions and then step out of the way for Juan to enter the spotlight.

1. You say that RPGs saved you from Magic and miniatures games. What is the local Magic community like. Do you have many people that play in Argentina and if so do you have large tournaments?

2. If you ever find yourself in a position where you have more money than imagination will you start playing Magic? Its really a very good game, provided that money is no option.

3. What is a BBS? Also, what are AT fans?

4. How difficult is it to move to Argentina and find work for a year or two? whistle

5. Are you currently working on developing or publishing any new games?

Enjoy your week Juan, you deserve it!

pastor_mora wrote:

My name is Juan, and I’m a board game geek *** hello, Juan *** Well, that wasn’t THAT hard!

I’m 35 now, married to an incredible girl that gave me two amazing boys (ages 2 and 1). But I used to be younger and have a lot of more spare time. That is where my story begins:

My only sister is a couple of years older than me, and even if she almost doesn’t play any boardgames, she has introduced me to them in several odd ways. The first being not wanting to play games with me. So by the time I was in Elementary School, I was already inventing solitary games over all the mainstream title’s boards I could get my hands on.

But that wasn’t it. She also introduced me to a whole world of new games through the use of computers (Apple II and Macintosh) which she, as the eldest, had the priority to use, and used extensively to my detriment. So I made my own tabletop versions of the videogames I enjoyed the most, including The Ancient Art of War and Dark Castle.

As time went by, I grew to the point of being able to kick her out of the computer chair. So she started feeding my gaming hunger with some print and play text games she got from that weird and unknown lovecraftian entity called BBSs. You cannot imagine the looks I got from my friends whenever I said "I have a new game!" and showed some printed sheets of paper.

Later on, during a trip to the US, I brought back the recently released "role playing game" Dragon Quest by TSR, thanks to a recommendation of one of my sister’s "virtual friends". I have never even imagined such an awesome game could exist. The freedom of the gaming system, the quality of the components, the art, the flavor, the detail, quickly got me an established gaming group. I mastered tabletop D&D sessions of my own campaigns almost every week for three years, and kept designing tactical wargames that introduced many RPG elements. RPGs saved me from Magic: The Gathering and miniatures games. I tried both, but I had more imagination than money at that time.

The next step came when I discovered the "immense" world of Avalon Hill. Again, seeing I was all into war and history and stuff, my sister brought me from abroad a copy of History of the World. And that is where I finally managed to start choosing games for myself: the game had a catalog that featured many other games, including the Axis and Allies series.

Alas, my jump into eurogames came from Acquire. I was saturated with a lifetime of war and adventure and decided I wanted something else. By the time I got there (2003), eurogames were pouring faster then I could consume them. Over the years, BGG was the main resource for deciding my purchases, even if I didn’t visited the site regularly (just when family or friends traveled north). But when I finally got a broadband access I started lurking many sites, especially the Board Game Designers Forum (BGDF) and BGG.

With my jobs and my babies, I don’t have much time to play now. But my wife has been very supportive of my gaming endeavors (including an online games store, a gaming blog, designing my own games, testing prototypes from fellow designers and hopefully becoming a publisher on my own). So I play mostly short & smart games with her at night or at lunchtime with my coworkers. I play some light/party games with my in-laws, since my wife has six brothers and sisters. I am also regularly invited to join game nights with customers that have become gaming buddies and with many nice people that lurk around here in the Argentina Guild (mostly AT fans). Of all the gaming clubs in Buenos Aires, the one I enjoy the most is La Cantera ONG. If you are in town, let me know and I’ll take you there. They are very welcoming people.

Anyone not asleep at this point, feel free to ask me questions and I’ll gladly answer them!

Poll
1. 1. I am a pastor for my Church, thus my username
true
false
2. 2. I traveled to every continent except Antarctica and Atlantis
true
false
3. 3. I’ve limited myself to a collection of only 10 (published) games
true
false
      234 answers
Poll created by troybowers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats.

I just have to say, you have an awesome sister.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
GRATZ! whilst I've to inquire: "WHOSE the Mastodon JUAN?!?" robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody
Canada
Madeira Park
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
I have no willpower :)
badge
(.ㅅ.) The meaning of life is tuna >'.'<
Congratulations! Have a wonderful week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So it goes.
United States
Shillington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fuck it...lets go bowling.
badge
"You wouldn't worry half as much about what other people thought of you if you realized how rarely they actually did."
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:

I know the answer to that one. Guess I should send Juan the link here so he knows its up. blushshake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy
United States
Los Osos
California
flag msg tools
This overtext is far more interesting than I am.
badge
One die to rule them all.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Juan!

Some questions for you:

d10-1 I see you have some experience playing video games and RPG. Do you still play? What are your favorites?

d10-2 What are your favorite games to play with your family?

d10-3 What do you like best about where you live?

d10-4 Do you have a grail game you would like to get?

d10-5 What is your favorite part of the BGG?

Have a great and well deserved week!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
Congratulations Juan.

Have a great week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claus
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
.. fan
badge
Goddamn tree-hugging T.rex
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratz!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Doherty
United States
Windsor, Northern-
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Pastor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jode Smyth
United States
the "real" Northern California!
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!

Well deserved!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
Crescent City
Northern California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done!!

Three cheers!!!

Congratulations
Rob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cate
United States
Mequon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
No good deed goes unpunished.
badge
Ring the bells that still can ring, Forget your perfect offering, There's a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in. - Leonard Cohen
mbmbmbmbmb
Great choice, Troy! What an excellent, deserving recipient.

Congrats, Juan. Enjoy your week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Olcese
Argentina
Córdoba
Córdoba
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Juan !

I completely agree with troybowers creiteria:

Quote:
To me GOTW shouldn't just be for users who create games, add lots of content to the site, record podcasts about gaming, etc. It should be just as much about being a good person, helping new users with questions and directions, having manners and always being polite in your posts, and in general making this site more of a home than a forum or database.

And Juan is one of the best examples
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Svetlana
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
Ich will!
badge
In the confusion and the aftermath you are my signal fire. Hold me close, 'cause I need you to guide me to safety. The only resolution and the only joy is the faint spark of forgiveness in your eyes, I don't want to wait forever...
mb
Congratulations, Juan!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Juan!

d10-1What is your favourite colour when playing a boardgame?
d10-2Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter?
d10-3Do you play an instrument? If yes, which one and for how long already?
d10-4Having fun?
d10-5What would have been your name if your parents didn't name you Juan?
d10-6What is your favourite snack?
d10-7 What is your favourite day of the week?
d10-8What is your favourite time of day?
d10-9 What character would you be in a Star Trek setting?
d10-1d10-0 What makes you "tick" (inspires you, why do you get up in the morning)?
d10-1d10-1 What is your life-long dream?

Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaboy Green
United States
livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
another great pick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I Am
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
Every weirdo in the world is on my wavelength
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Juan! thumbsup

Well deserved nomination!

What's the best thing about Buenos Aires?

I once heard, while on a trip around Mexico, that Argentinians "son los gringos del sur". Now, I have to add that this comes from the same person that mentionned that canadians were "los mexicanos del norte", so he might have been a little confused . Any comments?

You seem to have a pretty varied collection of games, with Euros and wargames both rated highly. If you had to choose only one game from your collection, (instead of 10 ) what would it be?

Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
If you have some sanity left...
badge
...come and join me in the tavern I buy you a mug of beer.
mb
Congratulations!

My usual questions:
- Ever played any RPG's?
- Have you ever visited the RPG side of the site?
- Will you congratulate you're RPGG and VGG counterpart?

Have fun this week and may you play many games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
Broad, powerful muscles move beneath this massive bear's brown fur, promising both speed and lethal force.
mbmb
Congratulations Juan! I had the pleasure of winning your october listing for Haggis and The Resistance in the october G4G lottery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eurojuegos Buenos Aires
Argentina
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much Troy for your nice words and choosing me as your successor.

Indeed, your definition of GotW is inspiring, and I felt really honored you thought of me that way. thumbsup

Thanks also for everyone that drops by to say hi. Many of you I saw around here and has been my pleasure to watch and read what everyone shares and contributes here. BGG is not only a community, it is a great one!

So, without further ado, I'll go on with the questions now

Disclaimer: I don't have a way to check my spelling when I write, so up-front I must tell you I'm sorry about my errors. Hope they are not so annoying. wow

Quote:
1. You say that RPGs saved you from Magic and miniatures games. What is the local Magic community like. Do you have many people that play in Argentina and if so do you have large tournaments?

Aside mainstream titles (Risk, Clue, Monopoly, Scrabble, Stratego) the only thing you'll find in Argentina is RPGs and Magic. This I think is due to the exhorbitant import costs and barriers that apply to games. Books and little card games are not taxed by customs, so many devoted groups have spawned here and there. There are many gatherings in gaming clubs to play Magic and there is even a national tournament. They appear to be quite large for a country that has no other tournament I know of. But the community is quite a niche overall, mostly made of hardcore gamers.

Quote:
2. If you ever find yourself in a position where you have more money than imagination will you start playing Magic? Its really a very good game, provided that money is no option.

More than imagination??!! You are talking about A LOT of money then Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Magic. I'm even a fan of Ciruelo's art that was included in some cards. It was just hard for me and my friends to become a consistant collectors, meaning having somewhat balanced decks to play between us.

PS I'm not quite sure I would ever want to have more money than imagination

Quote:
3. What is a BBS? Also, what are AT fans?

Up to this day I'm not sure I know. Maybe they are called BSS? or SSB? Whatever, I think that's what servers were called before the Internet developed a graphic interface.

AT stands for ameritrash, Fantasy Flight games draw quite an attention here. There are even used as gateway games! (maybe that's why there are so few of us! )

Quote:
4. How difficult is it to move to Argentina and find work for a year or two? whistle

Settling in Argentina is no problem. We have so many problems here that if someone really wants to settle in, there's probably no way we can discourage him/her.

Finding a job most probably won't be an issue either. Any foreigner with a highschool education will get a job. The thing is jobs don't actually yield enough money to make a living. For the first six months of this year, I had three jobs zombie

Quote:
5. Are you currently working on developing or publishing any new games?

Yep. I have a game "on development" with a publisher in the US (I'm not sure I can talk about). And every six months or so I design a game looking for a local corporate or government sponsor. For complex reasons, I'm planning to switch my OLGS into a publisher.

Quote:
Enjoy your week Juan, you deserve it!

Again, thank you very much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eurojuegos Buenos Aires
Argentina
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Congrats.

I just have to say, you have an awesome sister.

Thank you Wendell. She is indeed an awesome person I care much for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eurojuegos Buenos Aires
Argentina
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
troybowers wrote:
GROGnads wrote:

I know the answer to that one. Guess I should send Juan the link here so he knows its up. blushshake

Thank you Robert. And thank you Troy for answering. I have an unspoiled record of not-getting a single thing GROGnard says and enjoy to read nonetheless I think there's a microbadge for those like me I still need to get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eurojuegos Buenos Aires
Argentina
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
sunshiny wrote:
Congratulations! Have a wonderful week.

Thanks! Will do!
How come I haven't see a beautifully sculpted Mamut from you yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilko Drude
Germany
Goettingen
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
What are you doing!? I don't even know you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny - just about two days ago, I suddenly thought: I am sure Troy will choose Pastor_Mora, the 2 penny guy... that was the right feeling here. Have a great week!

(and I tipped your first few postings 2 cents - just so you know how that feels )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulatons, Juan!

A couple of questions from me, then:

I see by your microbadge that you are rated "R". Do pastors in Argentina usually work "blue"? (an English idiom for "swear a lot")
That might be a way to increase congregation size: You hold an "adults only" mass on Sunday nights, and talk about all of the dirty bits in the bible.

Is Buenos Aires really as beautiful as I think it is? What's the weather like, during the year?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.