Subject: Cargo ships in a five-player game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Bisignani
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've only played this game a few times, but every time we've played with five people, the two people who didn't get a second cargo ship came in 4th and 5th. As we got better at the game, the point disparity became even worse (145-140-135-80-65). In general, we think this is a pretty lame aspect of the game, as it condemns two people to play the entire game knowing that they are a severe disadvantage. And since this isn't a problem in a game with less than five players, as everyone will be able to get a second cargo ship, we're not really sure why the game designer made this rule specifically for the five-player game.

So our thought was, in a five-player game, we would let everyone buy a second cargo ship, but the last two people who bought it would not get the card (and thus would not get the 5 points for buying it). In addition to being the last people to get to use the ship, they would also miss out on the points. But at least they would get the ship and could remain in the hunt.

We haven't play-tested this rule change yet, so I can't comment on how well it works. But my question mainly is this: have other people noticed this problem, and if so, how have you fixed it? If we play-test this change, I will let you know how it worked. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never played this with 5 players, but your concern makes perfect sense. I am curious also as to the reasoning the designer made it this way. Your solution sounds very good, it sounds like it should work just fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jose
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know. My very first game was a five player game and I won with only one cargo ship. Granted a lot of that was probably due to quietly making a mint with my syndicates, and pulling like 4 or 5 wilds randomly out of the black market.

The last two games I played however were five player games, and the cargo ship-less players managed to grab second and third in the last round both times.

I'd say that it needs more poking and prodding, but I have a suspicion that all it really needs is a change of strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David, your comment sounds reasonable and I would have to agree I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.