Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Battle Cry» Forums » General

Subject: old minis new rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff White
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a minis painter and understand that the old game (which I used to have) has better minis. So, if I buy the old game but get my hands on the new rules and cards what shape will I be in? Good to go? What about for future expansions?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
shake They're 'incompatible', so, just SEND THAT TO 'moi' and "let it GO! man..." whistle
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a problem with the new minis, except for the flags that won't stay put. I don't think it's worth trying to find the old game at a premium price if you can get the new edition.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well, I have 2 sets of the old minis painted along with a set of the 150th minis under work right now.

Both sets looked about the same to me. I'm glad to have 3 sets of minis painted for large battles!

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Millen
United Kingdom
Greyabbey
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
I own both and prefer the old minis, but the BC150 minis are playable, and paintable.

The only incompatability that springs to mind is that the new artillery units are set up to take three casualties rather than two, so some token would be needed.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff White
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NikTheRake wrote:
The only incompatability that springs to mind is that the new artillery units are set up to take three casualties rather than two, so some token would be needed.


No problem there. I'll just rotate one canon backwards to represent the first hit, then remove the same cannon on the second hit...or something along those lines.

I understand the map has the same rows of hexes in both editions so I should be able to recreate the new scenarios. That sound about right?

I guess I may also be able to play the new scenarios but with the old cards (minus OOO) and it not be too much of a hassle, should I go that route ('cause truthfully, I think I prefer the woodcut art of the original cards as well).

Ha, basically I guess I want to use the old set but play by the new rules.

Thanks all for the quick responses!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack Hooligan wrote:
NikTheRake wrote:
The only incompatability that springs to mind is that the new artillery units are set up to take three casualties rather than two, so some token would be needed.


No problem there. I'll just rotate one canon backwards to represent the first hit, then remove the same cannon on the second hit...or something along those lines.

I understand the map has the same rows of hexes in both editions so I should be able to recreate the new scenarios. That sound about right?

I guess I may also be able to play the new scenarios but with the old cards (minus OOO) and it not be too much of a hassle, should I go that route ('cause truthfully, I think I prefer the woodcut art of the original cards as well).

Ha, basically I guess I want to use the old set but play by the new rules.

Thanks all for the quick responses!


While the maps are the same. one other issue is that there have been some changes to the cards as well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Barber
United States
McSherrystown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I haven't bothered to pick up the new game, but will probably buy the new cards because of the differences. I actually have 8 sets of the first edition, with the boards trimmed to mix and match to whatever battle I want to work up, and loads of figures, so no need for anything new.

As far as figures go, I've donated most of them to my nephews to add to their copies (inflicted as Christmas presents by Moi!) as I replaced my own with 15mm minis. I mounted the Infantry on 1/2" square thin metal bases, Cav on 1 x 1/2" and Arty on 1 x 1 1/2" (with room on the back corners for two detachable crew). I then made 1x 1 1/2" magnetic bases out of those thin magnetic sheets you can get to make business cards and such, so can have 3 cav figures and up to 6 Infantry.
sauron
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elcarto wrote:
I haven't bothered to pick up the new game, but will probably buy the new cards because of the differences. I actually have 8 sets of the first edition, with the boards trimmed to mix and match to whatever battle I want to work up, and loads of figures, so no need for anything new.

As far as figures go, I've donated most of them to my nephews to add to their copies (inflicted as Christmas presents by Moi!) as I replaced my own with 15mm minis. I mounted the Infantry on 1/2" square thin metal bases, Cav on 1 x 1/2" and Arty on 1 x 1 1/2" (with room on the back corners for two detachable crew). I then made 1x 1 1/2" magnetic bases out of those thin magnetic sheets you can get to make business cards and such, so can have 3 cav figures and up to 6 Infantry.
sauron

Wouw, 8 sets!!!!! Hopefully you got some of them cheap.

Do you have pictures of your 15mm figures? Or a link?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.