flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules says:

---------------------------------------------------
Recruiting cards

A player has two options for getting more Profession cards:

1. by recruiting from another player using a Recruiting card
2. by taking a Profession card in the Action phase

When a player acquires a Recruiting card, he may use it immediately or later. To use a Recruiting card, a player chooses any face up Profession card on the board (from any opponent)*, takes the card into his hand, and places the Recruiting card in its place on the board. If the player chooses to use the Recruiting card later, he takes it into his hand and may play it anytime during his turn in the Action phase of any round**. The player may use the recruited Profession card to complete a Work immediately or in a later round.

Note: a Recruiting card counts as a Profession card and adds 1 WV to each completed Work. It also counts as a Profession card for all Bonus and Prestige cards that mention Profession cards.

* Note: only face up Profession cards may be recruited. Those in other players’ hands may not be recruited!

** The use of a Recruiting card in the Action phase does not count as one of the two allowed actions. In fact, a player may use multiple Recruiting cards if he has them.
---------------------------------------------------

So, if I use a Recruiting card immediately, do I use it in the Auction Phase?
And if the answer is yes, can I use the recruited Profession card to complete a Work immediately, that is in the Auction Phase?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bridgham
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yes, you may take a face up profession immediately in the Auction phase.

2. No, completeing a work always takes an action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jebry wrote:
1. Yes, you may take a face up profession immediately in the Auction phase.

2. No, completeing a work always takes an action.

Correct.

You take it immediately if you want to grab it before someone else does. But it does not give you a free action or other benefit to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malachi Brown
United States
Hermitage
TN
flag msg tools
It's turtles all the way down.
badge
“Questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself.”
mbmbmbmbmb
Luigi wrote:
So, if I use a Recruiting card immediately, do I use it in the Auction Phase?

Yes, as soon as you buy it. The only time this really matters is when another player already has a Recruiting card in hand and will be going before you in the turn order and wants to recruit the same Profession you want to recruit. I suspect this is rare.

An any other case, waiting to use it on your turn will have the same effect as having used it immediately. (Discounting any complex interaction of decisions another player may make during the auction based on which Profession cards are currently face up on the table.)

Quote:
And if the answer is yes, can I use the recruited Profession card to complete a Work immediately, that is in the Auction Phase?

No. You can only produce a work as an action during your action phase. The Recruiting card just gives you access to Profession cards that other players have already played, it does not magically give you the ability to produce an extra work beyond what is allowed by your actions.

Recruiting cards are already powerful enough without giving the player an extra action!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luigi Pasato
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick follow-on question:

Recruiting cards are one-use, right? When you use one, it goes face up with your opponent's other profession cards, but he can't use it steal professions any more, right?

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
natsean wrote:
Just a quick follow-on question:

Recruiting cards are one-use, right? When you use one, it goes face up with your opponent's other profession cards, but he can't use it steal professions any more, right?

Kevin

Correct. The swapping of your recruitment with the face up played profession card is mostly to keep everyone's profession card count stable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ross
Scotland
Motherwell
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We did play a game in which one of the players used a Recruiting Card to try and recruit back into his hand an artisan he had already used to complete a work.

After some head scratching we allowed it, but in hindsight I think we were wrong. Surely you can only recruit someone else's artisan?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. You may not recruit a card that is in front of you.

You may recruit a card that was played by you, recruited away by another player and then played in front of that player. All that matters is that the card is not in front of you when you recruit it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ross
Scotland
Motherwell
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers Adam, that's exactly what I thought, we're playing it again on Friday and I'm really looking forward to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.