Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We are now four months away from GameStorm 14 in Portland (well actually across the river in Vancouver, Washington -- but you get the general concept....). I think it's time for planning your con to begin.

For one thing, the events proposals at the website (http://www.gamestorm.org/) should be up in a month or so. So if people want to see specific games played this would be a way to get them onto the schedule. Want to be sure one of your favorite games gets played? Run it as an event and there's a good chance you'll find players.

Of course, if you have a game you want to play with a particular person you can make that arrangement too. The advantage of playing a game like that at a convention is that most games being played eventually draw spectators. And spectators frequently become future players....

Other things you might want to arrange include going out for lunch or dinner together, arranging transportation for large collections of items you want to bring, or even getting your room at the hotel and possibly finding room shares. I always commute myself, but that's mainly for lack of funds -- and it's kind of hard to carry a bunch of games on the bus and the MAX if you want to keep them in order. If I had the money I might be interested in a room, but somehow I doubt that will happen anytime in the next few years.

So, first of all, who has GameStorm in their plans at all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Richards
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last year was my first time at Gamestorm and I'm definitely planning to attend again. I come down from Seattle so stayed at the convention hotel so likely to do the same.

I need to be a little careful about schedule too many planned games so I can play a few more pick-up games. I'm also recruiting a few of my friends to head down with me.

Very much looking forward to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went a couple of years ago, (and played the OP in Washington's War and beat him!), and always hope I can make it down. Didn't work out last year, hope it does this year...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
I went a couple of years ago, (and played the OP in Washington's War and beat him!), and always hope I can make it down. Didn't work out last year, hope it does this year...

Beating me at Washington's War is not all that difficult....

Hopefully I can get in something similar this coming year. I've built a small collection since then and added a few things to it. Hopefully I'll be able to make another addition or two before March, but you never know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Rasmussen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Attended Saturday last year for the first time. This year I am clearing the calendar and getting a room and turning off my cell phone... That sounds wrong, but you get the idea. So. Can't. Wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've gone the past couple years, and have been buying our passes for the next year on Sunday so we get the best rates. I've already gotten all four days off work, so I'll be there a good portion of the time.

I'm looking to run a few games, haven't decided what yet. I had fun running Dominion last year, I just need to make sure to leave time for other events I want to attend and/or pickup games

I've been thinking about running several teaching games of Spiel des Jahres winners, since they're all pretty good games and relatively easy to pick up for newer gamers. I personally own Alhambra, Carcassonne, Dominion, Ticket to Ride, Dixit, and 7 Wonders. Does anyone think this would be something interesting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subhan Michael Tindall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ensh'allah I'll be there. I love Gamestorm, I've been the last 3 or 4 years. This year (as always ;-) I plan on running a few games - on the radar are Merchants of Venus (original version retheme); a crayon rail of some sort; Sun, Sea, Sand; Binary Homeworlds (possibly a tourney?); and if I get it together enough a playtest session on a game I'm working on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to try out Binary Homeworlds.

Also, I'll have the "What Do You Want To Play At Gamestorm 2012?" geeklist up in about a month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Anna and I made our reservations last year. Looking forward to our third time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subhan Michael Tindall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any time! It's a great game, very strategic, I play all the time on superdupergames.org
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as my own plans: I might see if I can bring one or two Panzer Grenadier games in hopes of getting them played. To do that a carpool might help. I will probably also bring my copy of Manoeuvre and see if I can play that. I will, of course, also be joining games when I can. Not sure what will come up.

I might GM a role-playing game, but GameStorm isn't exactly an RPG hub. Last game I ran I had three players to fill six spots -- everyone had to play two characters.

They were video game rooms at the last couple of cons. I don't know what to think of that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
On a related note, I haven't investigated the hotel yet. I wouldn't be able to get my own room -- my income is a bit tight (OK, a LOT tight) but I've shared hotel rooms at local cons in the past to save myself the commutes. Never at GameStorm, however.

In the past, I had a huge soda mug -- 64 ounces, nearly as big as a 2-liter. GameStorm tries to discourage outside food and drink but there seems to be limited enforcement as far as soda. GameStorm is one of the few game conventions I've been to that has a Hospitality Suite, which may continue this year. (Hospitality is more common at science-fiction conventions, and the sponsor of GameStorm also sponsors the Orycon SF convention).

GameStorm also has an extensive, largely Euro-based, game library that they take around to different OSFCI cons.

Room sharing within reasonable limits is OK at cons like this -- within limits. Eight to ten people in a room is a bit much....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
MichaelRoom wrote:
Room sharing within reasonable limits is OK at cons like this -- within limits. Eight to ten people in a room is a bit much....

Tanga is running a sale on those Justin Bieber blankets...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
garygarison wrote:
MichaelRoom wrote:

Tanga is running a sale on those Justin Bieber blankets...

Sorry, I don't have a flamethrower so that doesn't interest me....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Wood
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
http://www.accessiblegames.biz
badge
Author of Psi-punk - Coming Soon!
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't been to GameStorm since 2008 (when Living Greyhawk ended) but I do plan on going this year.

Word has it that Pathfinder Society is going to be there, but I am particularly interested in running a playtest of a Fudge setting I've been working on. I'm also going to try to drag a buddy of mine in to run some playtests of an awesome card game he's deigned, tentatively called "Pork Barrel."

With any luck we'll get to go and get some good playtest feedback, but otherwise I will likely wind up doing more Pathfinder Society than general boardgame play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have submitted event requests for Manoeuvre and The Napoleonic Wars. Getting enough players for a full game of TNW looks unlikely unless I manage to somehow really find a way to publicize the game well in advance. But I asked for an eight-hour block just in case the game is a go and runs a while.

Hopefully there is still a bit of time to submit events, mainly because there aren't many submissions yet. People seem to be waiting until the new year to decide what they want to run.

I'm wondering if I myself should offer to run something else. Part of the problem is that I don't know yet what my schedule will be like Thursday. If the project I've been assigned to is still going on I won't be free until after 5:00pm on Thursday. I might be able to get Friday off, though. It would be relly nice if I could go to the hotel once and stay the entire weekend, but the money won't be there for a room by my lonesome.

And don't forget the Game Day on Saturday the 21st! I'm really looking forward to that one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subhan Michael Tindall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Hopcroft wrote:

After years on the Grateful Dead tour circuit, eight to ten people in a room sounds a little low...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
subhan wrote:
Michael Hopcroft wrote:

After years on the Grateful Dead tour circuit, eight to ten people in a room sounds a little low...

Perhaps, but hotels are notoriously unhappy with people who are stuffed into rooms waist-high and not paying for the room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would people be interested in a 7 Wonders Tournament? I'm liking the idea because it can support a lot of people with fewer copies of the game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, now I know my lodging situation and a little bit about my schedule. Now what I'm wondering is whether there is a group of BBGers going to the convention who might like a trip to Saturday breakfast. Figure out a place to get a good breakfast that's easy to get to, figure out how much people should have to come up with, and go out together as a group to eat and converse.

The only place I can think of, though, is the Denny's on Hayden Island (halfway across the river to Portland) and that isn't exactly haute cuisine. If there's anyplace we can go in Vancouver proper (even though it would mean paying sales tax) that would probably be better.

I'm thinking breakfast because it's the time the most people would be most likely to have time free. Although I wouldn't object to chipping in on a pizza after my Manoeuvre tournament is over, I somehow don't think a lot of people will be available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Wood
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think breakfast sounds awesome, if not for the fact that breakfast usually means "early."

That being said, it'd be neat to meet up with other BGGers around Con time, and I'm game for such ideas (even if it does mean trying to swing an early ride to Vancouver).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Munkwunk wrote:
I think breakfast sounds awesome, if not for the fact that breakfast usually means "early."

My Saturday game doesn't start until noon. So my day is fairly flexible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Munkwunk wrote:
That being said, it'd be neat to meet up with other BGGers around Con time, and I'm game for such ideas (even if it does mean trying to swing an early ride to Vancouver).

I too am trying to swing a ride to Vancouver Thursday afternoon. I have secured a room share but still need to somehow carry along eight to ten game boxes, a supply of snack foods, and some clean clothes (as a protection against the notorious "con funk" people tend to develop). A bit too much for public transit to handle, and my fault for getting a big tournament scheduled for nine on Friday morning.

My original ride just fell through -- his car failed DEQ, he has to get rid of it, and he doesn't really need a car for most of what he does. I'm not too sad for him -- I've lived without a car all my life and there are very few circumstances in which I would have missed having one. I'm just going to be in an awkward position that weekend.

A cab ride from Hillsdale to Vancouver would have to be at least $40.00 and I don't have that kind of money. (Money talks, but all mine ever says is Goodbye....)

(Actually I checked on a fare estimator website and it's closer to $50.00 to get a cab from my apartment to the hotel in Vancouver. Ouch!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Waller
United States
Overland Park
KS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael, I could give you a ride on Thursday. I signed up for a game at 3:00 so I plan to get there sometime in the early afternoon. I live in the Pearl so it's only mildly out of the way. I'd much rather have you spend the $50 on a new game than on a lousy cab ride. The offer is out there if you want it. Send me mail if you're interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Wood
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still working on my own ride situation, but I think I may have one (I just have to convince my new roommate that he really wants to go).

Sign-ups opened last night, and my Psi-punk playtest already has a player. I'm super excited about this! Also, a friend of mine will be joining me with his new card game called Pork Barrel, so if anyone's interested in some lighthearted political satire fun look it up!

Our games are in the afternoon/evening, so I'm still open for breakfast on Friday/Saturday assuming my ride situation doesn't fall apart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.