Argentina
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, what a week it has been! Thank you everyone
But it is time now to introduce my successor in this great BGG tradition.

Ladies and gentlemen, my fellow geeks, I'm very happy to announce our new GOTW:

. . . . . .

Larry Doherty
United States
Windsor, Northern-
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

. . . . . .

You know there are many generous people in this awesome community. Now and then you see random acts of generosity between users that share nothing in common but their belonging to BGG. And many times a great cause will spawn, and geeks will gather around it to support other people in need. I think this site was made up somehow to induce those acts of kindness, and this aspect I consider distinctive about BGG in comparison to other sites, and the stronger reason for me to support it.

Btw, in case you haven't already, there is still time to get your 2011 Patron Badge!

Larry was one of the first users that amazed me with his generosity on a personal level. He won a game I donated to the Jack Vasel auction (now the Jack Vasel Memorial Fund), he bid generously, and he then donated the game for a local NGO spreading the word for games in Argentina. We talked some more about family at that time, and since then I've seen him on many other ocassions helping people out, being friendly and caring, and introducing users to the unique way geeks “feel the love” around here

No one can deny tips and thumbs are a great element in the BGG experience. There's even a word for people giving loads of thumbs as a gesture (thumb-bombing) and a word for the ones efusively asking for them (thumb-wh... well... maybe is not as nice). Indeed, Larry is a Knight of the Love Thread (besides an avid wargamer), so I thought his nomination would also help us get to know that part of the site, wheter is it true that the 1300 pages thread was the reason that SACKSON burned out robot , wheter is it true that FLT people can play Diplomacy by forum and not end up angry with each other devil , and how-on-Earth did you reach 140,000 thumbs!!!??? surprise (make those my first 3 questions, I'll come up with more before I finish posting this. &$%@# polls angry ).

These, and all things you always wanted to know but were afraid to ask, featuring, this week, here. Questions ready? Fire away!

Quote:
In starting like Juan last week, I would like to introduce myself as Larry but with a different twist...I am a geek. There, I said it, so now we can move on. I am a little bit older than Juan however, but like him, I have a great wife--Colleen. She has blessed me with three great sons, all adults now.

I started gaming back (are you ready for this) in the 60s. Well at least you know there is a future for you. The first game I received was Combat. Well I loved the game so much I tried to break my other arm to get another wargame. I never liked playing chess or monopoly and more or less have always been hooked on wargames--read that as military history.

At that time, Avalon Hill was the only company selling wargames on a regular basis. My first games were Gettysburg, U-Boat, Tactics, as well as many other. The best game ever, when I was in my teens, was Panzerblitz--no I am not kidding--all those tanks. Avalon Hill was my first addiction and it was a very sad day when they went out of business.

SPI filled the void for a while too, but they were pushing games with paper maps, not like the solid mapboards AH had. SPI did fill one dream though, sending out a new game with each of their magazines (yes, I still have these).

I can still remember the designers back then; Charles Roberts, Jim Dunnigan, John Prados, and Frank Chadwick. There was a time where a lot of companies were putting out a lot of games and the market was wide open. That all changed with games called; what was it, D&D and Magic?

After high school I managed some college before entering the Coast Guard where I spent a lot of time in the Bering Sea--yes, the Deadliest Catch location. I also spent some time teaching others how to shoot (rangemaster). Luckily, I managed to land a job after the service at a local Sheriff’s Department. While working there I met the love of my life, computer games, I mean my wife Colleen (damn fingers). Actually computers weren’t even available like they are today.

Now that I am retired (yes, we can go at a real early age ) and only working part time, I have had the opportunity to return again to my passion--gaming. It is only recently that I have delved outside wargaming with the help of so many great recommendations made by other FTLers. With Martin Wallace and Reiner Knizia's creations, it has been exciting. Most of the time though, while on BGG, I can be found in the wargaming or FTL areas.

So having bored you for this long, I just wanted to say thanks again to Juan for bestowing this honor on me and I will do my best to represent the title and answer any questions that you might have.

But first, two truths and a lie about our GotW

Poll
1. I have guarded US Presidents.
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
True
67.9% 74
False
32.1% 35
Voters 109
2. I have helped Veterinarians work on animals.
True
68.2% 75
False
31.8% 35
Voters 110
3. I have designed a wargame.
True
59.1% 65
False
40.9% 45
Voters 110
This poll is now closed.   114 answers
Poll created by Pastor_Mora
Closes: Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:00 am

And to get things rolling

1) No sons are alike. Which wargame would you play with each of your sons? (provided you have the time to)
2) Can you recommend a wargame to play with more than 2 people not so into the wargame genre?
3) Is it too time-consuming to plunge into the Dungeon of FTL thread where loving denizens delve? any pointers on how to land there?
4) What is that impressive boat on your avatar?
5) Is the Bering Sea that harsh, or is it just Hollywood?

Enjoy your week on the spotlight!

PS in case you haven't noticed yet, I don't have a spelling check, sorry about that
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
GRATZ! and why aren't 'inquiries' upon the 'flotation' ability of ROCK inherent within our educational facilities examinations nor curricula? robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Cohen
Argentina
Bahia Blanca
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratz Larry! Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations! Enjoy your week!

What's your favourite wargame and your favourite non wargame?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Doherty
United States
Windsor, Northern-
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is perfect timing. I can say thank you to Juan and then sneak off to bed with no questions...

First off thanks Juan for a great week, well done!!!

Secondly, this is going to be difficult, as there are a lot of great individuals who have gone on before me. I will do my best to fill those shoes.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
And if must really be known why I was selected, I am a fan of the Argentina futbol team...there I said it...bring it on
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Sinclair
Canada
Ancaster
Ontario
flag msg tools
One Thread for All
badge
The name's Andrew -- pronounced 'Kah-thoo-loo'
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Larry!

...and I too would like to say thank you for your tremendous generosity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eurojuegos Buenos Aires
Argentina
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ldohrebl wrote:
This is perfect timing. I can say thank you to Juan and then sneak off to bed with no questions...

First off thanks Juan for a great week, well done!!!

Secondly, this is going to be difficult, as there are a lot of great individuals who have gone on before me. I will do my best to fill those shoes.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
And if must really be known why I was selected, I am a fan of the Argentina futbol team...there I said it...bring it on

You are most welcome. I will enjoy your week as much as mine.

And you never told me that whistle never, nope, not a clue blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Elsmere
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulation Larry! Well deserved! I am very happy for you!

ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
One-Nil to the Arsenal!
badge
And it's Arsenal, Arsenal FC, We're by far the greatest team, The world has ever seen....
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Larry! You're an excellent choice to represent the awesomeness of BGG for the next week. Enjoy it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Doherty
United States
Windsor, Northern-
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pastor_Mora wrote:
...besides an avid wargamer, I thought his nomination would also help us get to know that part of the site, wheter is it true that the 1300 pages thread was the reason that SACKSON burned out robot

As of right now the FTLers have logged well above 4,000 pages. There I have met some amazing gamers. It is like a big family. We have BGGers, RPGers, and VPGers. All with one common theme...we love playing games. This group has made arrangements to get together and play games together in Europe and in North America. OK, I will stop here, as a book can be written about the FTLers.

Quote:
...wheter is it true that FLT people can play Diplomacy by forum and not end up angry with each other devil

Well I broke this rule. With my good friend

Andrew Sinclair
Canada
Ancaster
Ontario
flag msg tools
One Thread for All
badge
The name's Andrew -- pronounced 'Kah-thoo-loo'
mbmbmbmbmb

He was kind enough to join another game after I got nasty trying to find out his intentions. devil

Quote:
...and how-on-Earth did you reach 140,000 thumbs!!!??? surprise

I thought everyone knew this...I thumbed myself...

Quote:

And to get things rolling

1) No sons are alike. Which wargame would you play with each of your sons? (provided you have the time to)

My oldest and yougest sons like Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Russia 1941-42 whereas my middle son likes Strike of the Eagle. My youngest will also play Frank Chadwick's The Six Million Dollar Man. Hah...too funny, that was suppose to be Campaigns in Russia.

Quote:
2) Can you recommend a wargame to play with more than 2 people not so into the wargame genre?

Most of the Memoir '44 are an easy way to get someone interested, though a true wargamer might argue its status as such.

Quote:
3) Is it too time-consuming to plunge into the Dungeon of FTL thread where loving denizens delve? any pointers on how to land there?

This one is easy, stop by here and say hi. Watch how fast your are welcome by the other FTLers.

Quote:
4) What is that impressive boat on your avatar?

The Brig Niagara which my son and I sailed on for 3 weeks as apart of its crew. That can be found here.

Quote:
5) Is the Bering Sea that harsh, or is it just Hollywood?

Easily that harsh, and I was on a small destroyer (about 375') while they are on ships of about 125'.

Edit...spelling, you will get use to this comment, as the FTLer's can tell you.

• [+] Dice rolls
Larry Doherty
United States
Windsor, Northern-
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
GRATZ! and why aren't 'inquiries' upon the 'flotation' ability of ROCK inherent within our educational facilities examinations nor curricula? robot

Required studies in Northern California. That and having an ability to grow greens...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Doherty
United States
Windsor, Northern-
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nonita wrote:
Congratz Larry! Enjoy your week!

Thanks Andrea...and that was a secret about the team, ok....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Doherty
United States
Windsor, Northern-
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boisse wrote:
Congratulations! Enjoy your week!

What's your favourite wargame and your favourite non wargame?

Thanks Chris.

Wargame... Conflict of Heroes: Storms of Steel! – Kursk 1943

Non....Brass
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Doherty
United States
Windsor, Northern-
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cthulhu1 wrote:
Congratulations, Larry!

...and I too would like to say thank you for your tremendous generosity.

Hey, how did you beat my other post?

Thanks Andrew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Doherty
United States
Windsor, Northern-
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bodhisattva wrote:
Congratulation Larry! Well deserved! I am very happy for you!

ninja

Thank you my friend. Shall we return to the corner now? I think my cap is still there...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Doherty
United States
Windsor, Northern-
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vantageGT wrote:
Congrats Larry! You're an excellent choice to represent the awesomeness of BGG for the next week. Enjoy it!

That is very nice Justin. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Doherty
United States
Windsor, Northern-
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And since it was a long day here...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Cassens
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mb
Congrats man! Enjoy it all!

Cheers!

Jacovis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Doherty
United States
Windsor, Northern-
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacovis wrote:
Congrats man! Enjoy it all!

Cheers!

Jacovis

Thank you my (state) neighbor Jacovis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
The Turtle Moves.
badge
Give a man fire and he's warm for the day. Set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Larry,

Enjoy your week of fame, fortune and glory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Williams
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
www.ormistonwhisky.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, have a great week.

Matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Germany
Near Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
This is my brand new OverText :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Larry !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy
United States
Los Osos
California
flag msg tools
This overtext is far more interesting than I am.
badge
One die to rule them all.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet! What a great choice!

Congratulations Larry!

For my part, you were one of the first people who really made me feel like posting on BGG. You helped me feel completely different about on-line communities. Your generosity, personability, and humility are amazing. Your integrity is through and through. And one of your best traits is your unwaivering dedication to those you care for.

Thank you for all that you bring to this community!

I'll check in with you later for some questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
mbmbmbmbmb
A GotW I know, congrats Larry!

d10-1What is your favourite colour when playing a boardgame?
d10-2Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter?
d10-3Do you play an instrument? If yes, which one and for how long already?
d10-4Having fun?
d10-5What would have been your name if your parents didn't name you Larry?
d10-6What is your favourite snack?
d10-7 What is your favourite day of the week?
d10-8What is your favourite time of day?
d10-9 What character would you be in a Star Trek setting?
d10-1d10-0 What makes you "tick" (inspires you, why do you get up in the morning)?
d10-1d10-1 What is your life-long dream?

Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Dijon
flag msg tools
Ne Oublie
badge
You're feeling dizzy... Now all your boardgames belong to me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Larry!

Enjoy your week, and try to be kind in Diplomacy (especially with me)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [13] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.